GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,128 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Crowdfunding: Kickstarter» Forums » General

Subject: Poll: Hypothetical Kickstarter Project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hypothetically speaking, would you be more likely to back a kickstarter project that:

Has player character cardboard stand ups and a lower funding goal, but has a stretch goal to unlock miniatures for the player characters (free to everyone)

Has miniatures to begin with, but a much higher funding goal?

When making this decision keep in mind that the buy-in pledge level for the game would be $10-15 dollars more for the game that comes with miniatures. Conversely, that means that the project with cardboard stand-ups, if it reached the miniatures stretch goal, would have a lower than retail buy-in pledge level.

Thanks for your input, it is very much appreciated!!

Edit: Updated poll to be more inclusive.
Poll
As a kickstarter backer, which would you prefer?
Player character cardboard stand ups with a lower funding goal and a stretch goal to replace stand ups with miniatures.
Player character miniatures to start and a much higher funding goal.
Either one, as long as the game looks good.
      46 answers
Poll created by Crimson_Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the option for:

Either is fine, as long as the game looks good

Once that one appears...I will vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably wouldn't back a project that had cardboard stand ups but a miniatures stretch goal.

The reason being that I'd think the project creators probably haven't thought through the economics of producing all those miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Relies on too many other factors to be able to answer.

I can say though that my general buy in max limit is $100, when I see a game over that as the lowest standard pledge level I completely ignore it.

Some things that an answer depends on:
Cost of game. Adding $10-15 makes much more difference for a $30 game than a $90 game.
Type of game. Does it need miniatures at all, is there any reason you want miniatures instead of a boring meeple (Asides from meeples being boring).
Other content: What you said implies that at a certain level the cost is reduced enough to allow miniatures at the lower level, if you started with the higher level and added something else to the game and made miniatures required, would that be likely to make people happier.

I'm sure there's other stuff too, but at the moment it's very hard to answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Chris, It would be more of a $30 buy-in for the cardboard stand-ups and the game does require some type of character representation with characters each being very different in terms of aesthetics and mechanics.

@Scott, The stretch goal for the miniatures would be well calculated but that is good to know how it could be perceived as not being well thought out.

@Mike, Working on it thanks! I totally forgot about that. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll updated. Thanks for your responses!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimson_Phoenix wrote:
Poll updated. Thanks for your responses!!

Ugh...now that it is updated, it isn't saving my vote. Grrr...

Well just look at the last option and add 1. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
What about for those of us who would rather have standups than miniatures (i.e. no stretch goal)?

...crickets...

Oh wait, this is a Kickstarter project. Nevermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so in this case I'm going to go with preferring it was included in the first place.

I get the impression that the game is intended to include them. As a result I think it should be done in the first place to make the game as per intent, as well as Scorpion0x17's reason about distrust where addon miniatures are concerned - Even if you've done the math, many will feel uncomfortable with the situation.

Plus, if you have the game situated $10-15 higher, then upon reaching stretches you have great opportunity to have addons that extend the game, rather than only updating the components (Not that it's a bad aim, but its' still preferred to have them as the standard!)

Hypothetically, best of luck to you with your hypothetical project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave T
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to vote for the cardboard standees option, but it keeps saying "saving" without appearing to actually save.

Why cardboard? Because I have enough Bones to act as stand-ins!

Not really, but that is pretty close. Whether it is a $30 game or a $100 game, the initial buy-in affects whether I'll bite or not. If the initialy buy-in is too much, I'll sadly pass and keep my eyes open for another project that fits within the budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What time period are the minis? About the only thing we haven't seen much of are cavemen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister_Barista wrote:
What time period are the minis?
Modern with some visual flair. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some data to go with your poll?

Miniature KS game make the most money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:

And they do so without the preliminary demands of rulebooks or gameplay videos... they seem to get by with merely digital representations of an idea or theme.

I'm not sure cardboard stand-ups would have the same results...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayCrossbones wrote:
adamw wrote:

And they do so without the preliminary demands of rulebooks or gameplay videos... they seem to get by with merely digital representations of an idea or theme.

I think that's because they straddle two hobby markets - the board game hobby market and the miniatures hobby market.

Obviously the board game hobby market is much more interested in aspects of the product such as rules, and game play, however it is a much smaller market.

The much larger miniatures hobby market, on the other hand, is primarily interested in the visual, or aesthetic, appeal of the product. It cares much less about things like rules, and game play.

In fact I know people will buy something like Zombicide, say, purely for the zombies (or whatever the minis are), they don't care how good the game is, or even if there is a game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

In fact I know people will buy something like Zombicide, say, purely for the zombies (or whatever the minis are), they don't care how good the game is, or even if there is a game at all.

Nobody I've ever asked or seen talking online has EVER admitted to this. Even though I agree with you , it's like a stigma. Just admit to "yes I like pushing little men around", right? But no. It's always "I... uh... the designer is known... I saw the one paragraph description and it sounded like the rules would be uh good... I'm sure it'll be fine... they SAY they have rules..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayCrossbones wrote:
adamw wrote:

Yes, I think you're better off in studying the data of Kickstarters that had cardboard standees vs miniatures. Any data gleaned here wouldn't be very representational.

I'm think the real problem you face is people who back and then cancel if the stretch goal wasn't reached, possibly leaving you with an unfunded project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocconteur wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Nobody I've ever asked or seen talking online has EVER admitted to this. Even though I agree with you , it's like a stigma. Just admit to "yes I like pushing little men around", right? But no. It's always "I... uh... the designer is known... I saw the one paragraph description and it sounded like the rules would be uh good... I'm sure it'll be fine... they SAY they have rules..."

How any miniatures painters, and/or miniatures gamers, do you know or talk to?

I recall several people during the 1st Zombicide Kickstarter saying they were buying it solely for minis to either paint or use with other systems.

And I've known of numerous minis painters that have bought games purely for the minis and nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If voted for minis from the start, because that's what I think you should do.

In theory, I'd prefer the cardboard with a free upgrade to minis. But I would just watch it, and I wouldn't actually commit any money, until I knew I was getting the minis.

The trouble is, I think an awful lot of other people would do the same, and that's how you get a failed Kickstarter (or at least one that won't generate enough to unlock minis).

This is why I think you should definitely do it with minis from the start. No question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmb
The jump from cardboard to minis is pretty big, both is costs to you and the value of the final product, it doesn't seem like a stretchgoal. Given the tendency of miniatures to boost the kickstarter, and if you wanted to offer a lower cost version for those who don't want minis, you could have two levels - one with the minis and one with cardboard.

Alternatively, if it is clear that the cardboard version is going to be funded, you could add the miniatures version at a higher pledge point. That way it wouldn't be a stretchgoal and you won't suddenly have to supply an extra $10-20 of product to everyone at the lower pledge level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.