Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Need some electronics help [hive mind] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am experiencing a curious phenomenon: Blu-Ray players in our house seem to develop a glitch within a few months of purchase.

Our old one -- a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 -- worked fine for several months, then started “cutting out”, i.e. the picture and sound would disappear for anywhere from 10-30 seconds, then come back, then disappear again. It almost acted as if it were buffering, but without any rolling circle or other “wait” indicator. But a disc should play without visible buffering.

After multiple occurrences of this while trying to watch a movie (this happened on every disc I tried, both Blu-Ray and DVD), I would stop the movie for a few minutes, then resume. After a few minutes the glitching would begin again. The movie would always start out fine for the first 20-30 minutes, so about mid-movie is when the glitching would start.

The glitching would also occur when watching something off the net (Vudu, Hulu, YouTube, etc.), through the player. (We’re running a wireless network via a NetGear WNR 300 off a Cisco cable modem.) When using the TV -- a Dynex 42” LCD -- directly off the air (we don’t have cable TV, just Internet) the glitch never happens, only when the TV is receiving something through the player. The TV and player are connected by an HDMI cable, and the sound cables run from the TV directly to the stereo system.

We put up with this for several months (it would work fine some days, then other days it was extra glitchy) and finally replaced the player with a new LG model back in March. Everything was fine for the first two months, then a couple of weeks ago the new player suddenly started cutting out the way the old player did. The difference here is, instead of freezing the movie like the old one, the new player continues to play, so when the picture and sound return you are at a later spot in the movie.

I’ve discovered something that seems to help: When the player glitches, I hit the Stop button, wait a few seconds until the TV pops up the “HD 1080p” notice on the screen, then hit play, and the movie starts up again. I can back up the few seconds that we missed, and the movie plays fine for a few minutes until the next glitch. (Although there have been a couple of times we got the “No Signal” warning from the TV, followed a few seconds later by the 1080 notice.)

I find it extremely curious that the same thing is happening with two different brands of DVD/Blu-Ray players. I don’t recall anything like this happening at all back when we had just a DVD player, before we got a DVD/B-R combo.

Could there be some sort of feedback through the HDMI cable that’s messing things up? Could it be a problem with the TV being 5+ years old and having a software incompatibility with the B-R players? (But wouldn’t either of those show up immediately, not after several weeks of flawless operation?)

I’m stumped. Anyone have any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds to me like they are similar things, but not the same thing.

I'd perhaps suspect either the cables connecting the player to the TV (assuming they didn't change between devices), or the TV and it's connecting port.

Try a different connection to the TV. If possible, try a different TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick thoughts:

1. replace the HDMI cable to eliminate it as a possible source of the problem
2. Check heat for both TV and Player.
3. If possible, check player with a different TV
4. If possible check player with Component output to same TV
5. check with differnt HDMI port on TV, if possible.

Trying those stpes should at least give you an indication of where the problem lies. If the player(s) work with another TV, then your TV is the culprit. If swapping the HDMI doesn't fix it, but switching to component input does, then the problem lies with the TVs HDMI unit. If you can fix it by switching to another HDMI input port on the TV (though Dynexes likely only have one) the nyou've isolated the problem further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a test I switched back to the previous player (hadn't yet taken it to Best Buy to recycle) and played a movie -- everything worked fine. I think I will stay with this player until it glitches since it seems to take some time before that starts happening. If it does glitch, then I will try switching the HDMI cable from Input #1 to #2. If I again get a glitch, then I'll try a new cable, and go back to the #1 spot, switching to #2 if it still glitches.

That will allow me to test multiple possibilities at a small cost. (That was always my dad's pattern for try to fix a car: check all possible connections, then begin replacing possible defective parts, starting with the cheapest.)

Our only other TV in the house is the monitor for the kids' computer, and it crapped out the other day. That will *have* to be replaced (especially since i just bought a quad-processor unit so my son could play Minecraft), but replacing it will have to wait until another paycheck.

EDIT: The old player -- which I am using now -- has component outputs, while the new player does not. I have spare component cables (red, white, yellow) that I can substitute for the HDMI cable before buying a new one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those cables (red/white/yellow) are composite cables, and are not a substitute for HDMI. HDMI will give you the most bandwidth as you already know.

One thing to also try is to see if you can plug a USB thumb drive in the back of the players. The larger the drive the better. I think these drives give some sort of buffering benefit or some sort of data swap for the discs. I have a 1GB drive on the back of each of my two blu-ray players and never have had a glitch like that.

You can also get good reasonably priced HDMI cables at monoprice.com if you think you need to pick up a new one.

Good luck.

Edit: The Flash drive (USB) is for BD-live content mostly. Any movie that has BD-live available content will put small files on your flash drive or for playing video and music files. This is dependent on your specifc model of player. It can also be used for a wi-fi adapter if the player does not have one built in. THere may also be a federal law requiring access ports on these devices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed USB plugs on both players, but just assumed they were for plugging in a "picture album", or something similar.

I honestly don't think this is a buffering problem -- I've begun to suspect either the cable or the HDMI plug on the TV. Since I've switched back to the old player (I'd like to keep it -- we like its menu system better) I'll have to wait for the glitching to start again so I can begin the process of elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the glitching only occuring with newer movies? Newer movies could require a firmware update for your player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:
Is the glitching only occurring with newer movies? Newer movies could require a firmware update for your player.

We had that problem 3-4 years ago when we tried to watch "The Illusionist". It had a completely new type of DRM software on the disc, and our then-current player (which was several years old) didn't know how to read it. When I bought a new model DVD player, the movie played fine.

This problem doesn't look anything like that did on screen. Now I'm getting quick "drop-outs" of a portion of the screen for a fraction of a second -- almost too fast to notice. As time goes on, these drop-outs last longer and become larger, until the entire screen is blank.

I am keeping an eye on the screen appearance, and when the drop-outs become noticeable and frequent, I'll start experimenting with different plugs and cables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.