Argentina
San Nicolás de los Arroyos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
Club de Juegos SN
badge
San Nicolás de los Arroyos, Bs.As., AR
mbmbmbmbmb
A question for the great Donald X and for Jay...

Are there any more promos planned for Dominion in the near future?

Thanks for the greatest game ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mborda wrote:
A question for the great Donald X and for Jay...

Thanks for the greatest game ever!
There are no promos planned currently, and you're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
There are no promos planned currently
I like the sound of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask, I think this every time I see you making one of these maybe-someday-there-will-be-more posts, so I'll ask. Shouldn't a "Compulsive Completist" be glad that he can finally call his collection definitively complete? Your goal is met! The beast is dead! At last you can relax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:
Hockey Mask, I think this every time I see you making one of these maybe-someday-there-will-be-more posts, so I'll ask. Shouldn't a "Compulsive Completist" be glad that he can finally call his collection definitively complete? Your goal is met! The beast is dead! At last you can relax.
A compulsive completest should. It is obvious I am an Unsatiable Compulsive Completist.

I feel dirty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
SOMETHING PORTENTIOUS
badge
Microbadge: Playtester / Prototype fan
Another five years or so, and we should be able to get a promo for the tenth anniversary edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No promos planned currently... but IF there were... Just curious, are there cards that did not make it to the final boxes that could maybe be rolled out SOMEDAY? Perhaps small "booster" set with 3 additional Alchemy type cards... or another with 3 duration cards... etc.

Were there cards meant for sets that never came to light that just maybe could be released into a promo type set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Microbadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking
There aren’t many things I wouldn’t do for more Duration cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChasperKC wrote:
No promos planned currently... but IF there were... Just curious, are there cards that did not make it to the final boxes that could maybe be rolled out SOMEDAY? Perhaps small "booster" set with 3 additional Alchemy type cards... or another with 3 duration cards... etc.

Were there cards meant for sets that never came to light that just maybe could be released into a promo type set?
I'm pretty sure if you go throught the Secret Histories DXV lists a whole bunch of cards that got cut, but most of the good ones have been released already. That doesn't mean that there are no good cards left, but most of the good ideas that Donald's already had, have been used. There's even a Secret History of the Promo Cards, where he points out that he likes promos to do something a bit different, that doesn't necessarily fit in an existing set, or that uses a mechanic that's a bit hard to use often (although Envoy and Walled Village are both basically "We need a promo, this card only barely got cut from the set I'm working on, let's use them").

The other problem to releasing more promo cards is that there's nothing left to promote for Dominion, unless there's a real push for another expansion, or a Big Box 2, or an anniversary edition. If any of those eventuate, I would *love* to see another promo to go with them. Alternatively, they might sneak a promo into some other game like I've seen some companies do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
ChasperKC wrote:
There are lots of cards that didn't make sets, and you can see endless pictures of outtakes (and earlier versions of cards that worked out) at http://dominionstrategy.com/2013/06/24/dominion-outtakes/.

In general a card didn't make a set because it wasn't good enough. In a few cases a card might have been okay but its set had enough villages already or whatever. Those cards would not be thrilling to get as promos but they wouldn't be completely awful; think Walled Village. Any such acceptable-but-dull card lying around is probably in the linked article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Hockey Mask wrote:
donaldx wrote:
There are no promos planned currently
I like the sound of that.
I get the impression that if Donald X said "I'll make a Dominion promo when hell freezes over", within ten minutes someone would be sacrificing kittens and scanning eBay for secondhand ice rink equipment.

(Having said which, I note that the Guilds secret history mentioned that he contemplated making another duration set before settling on coin tokens and overspend as the major themes. This suggests he believes there are a significant number of publishable durations yet to be made...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I know we just received Guilds and I should be content. But I know I and my family are crazy for Dominion and look forward to playing it every time we are together. We will probably never have the same game twice with the combination of cards available but we still would like MORE...

I was just thinking also that I realize Alchemy is one of the least favorite sets by many and I honestly think it could benefit by having more cards. Since it was a smaller expansion there are only so many cards that you can use with it. I would like to have more and it could expand the use of potions. Perhaps some that combined duration with potions or something. I thought perhaps it would be neat to see bonus cards released for the smaller expansions over the years to boost their card totals.

Anyway... we love the game as is..... but we would always love more!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChasperKC wrote:
Thanks. I know we just received Guilds and I should be content. But I know I and my family are crazy for Dominion and look forward to playing it every time we are together. We will probably never have the same game twice with the combination of cards available but we still would like MORE... :)

I was just thinking also that I realize Alchemy is one of the least favorite sets by many and I honestly think it could benefit by having more cards. Since it was a smaller expansion there are only so many cards that you can use with it. I would like to have more and it could expand the use of potions. Perhaps some that combined duration with potions or something. I thought perhaps it would be neat to see bonus cards released for the smaller expansions over the years to boost their card totals.

Anyway... we love the game as is..... but we would always love more!!

I think he should try to force unpopular mechanics onto duration cards and figure out what the breaking point is. Such as:

Malicious advisor
Action - attack - duration
3 + potion
Now and at the start of your next turn:
Reveal the top card of each other player's deck. If that card costs three or more, that player must trash it and gain a card costing at least 2 less. Otherwise, you may have that player gain a copy of that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wanted a duration card that made you pay more on the second turn to activate something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd love to see some promos in the style of MTG's Unglued/Unhinged card sets...cards that are completely goofy, off-the-wall, and not intended for serious play: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?output...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Putts wrote:
Personally I'd love to see some promos in the style of MTG's Unglued/Unhinged card sets...cards that are completely goofy, off-the-wall, and not intended for serious play: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?output...
Personally, which is of course what all these entries are, I think in just over a year we could see something like a small promo pack of 5 kingdom cards along the lines of the suggested fan-designed set based around matters theological. It would introduce the curse coins (sins) which, not being cards, couldn't be scrapped with Chapel but might be discarded by an absolution from a priest.

Having said all that, which itself ought to be in the other forum (for fan inventions), I think it's right that when a project concludes and works well, don't tinker ... Just let it be. It's a great concept that has created a great game. Well done Donald ... Good job! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Putts wrote:
No! I hated the MTG silly expansions and see no use for the Agricola: L-Deck, other than for collecting. If more cards are printed, make them ones that we can actually use!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral

Argentona, Barcelona, Catalonia
msg tools
mb
mborda wrote:

Look what Donald said just yesterday: "There will probably be a Dominion promo this year"!!!! (from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1109924/what-brings-2014...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls