Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Hass
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned SMG for a little over a week and I really like the game play, however my American soldiers never win. In fact they get clobbered.

I took a look at the core soldier cards (4 soliders per side) and recorded the damage for each soldier card and saw this;

Americans (4 core solders, I left out the character soldier since his cards vary)
Zip => 2,2,2,3 = 9/28 or 32% of a miss
Pin => 1,2,1,3 = 7/28 or 25% of a pin
Wnd => 2,3,2,1 = 8/28 or 29% of a wound
Kill=> 2,0,2,0 = 4/28 or 14% of a kill

Germans (4 core solders, I left out the character soldier since his cards vary)
Zip => 2,2,3,5 = 12/28 or 43% of a miss
Pin => 2,2,2,2 = 8/28 or 29% of a pin
Wnd => 2,2,1,0 = 5/28 or 18% of a wound
Kill=> 1,1,1,0 = 3/28 or 11% of a kill

Seems pretty significant difference. I tried to have my Americans engage the Germans in close combat, thus drawing the American cards for damage, but they never seem to make it.

I strongly suspect range has some influence on these numbers but haven't figured it out yet.

Thoughts or comments welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Penn
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
When I started playing Sergeants I won the first few games. Pure Luck on my part. Here lately though, my Germans have been losing to the Americans consistently. Mostly due to close combat, where I lose initiative to the higher point value Americans.

I'm going to try different tactics to see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Out of towering flames and smoke, a rumbling, steel beast emerges; shaking the ground, rattling bone and bravado. Fighting a numbing cold grip of terror on my spine, yielding to desperate muscle-memory; I collapse into a rigid crouch, snap-firing.
Microbadge: Solitaire WargamerMicrobadge: Gaming is best soloMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: I'm an Armchair GeneralMicrobadge: Caution: May contain wargame like substance
There are so many variables that strongly impact the gameplay but do not register in a straight number crunch comparison. The greater mobility of the Americans with move and move again actions and how many soldiers activate via bubble or box to cite just a few examples. Those kind of various intangibles are what make the spreadsheet number approach look so imbalanced. The victory point calculations are proprietary mystical mathematics but still seem to hold true. (I won't say they are absolute but others might and they're probably very close to perfect regardless. The imminent introduction and impact of vehicles is what scares me the most concerning the esoteric mathematics used for balance purposes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Hass
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Crossroads; Sergeant Harrison who was located in the far corner of square 7A was spotted and killed by the end of phase 3 of turn 1. Americans played the rest of the game with only 3 draw cards.

Germans won 39-3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now most players think the Germans get the worst of it and the only way to win is have a load more men at a low "VP" to stand a chance.

I have 24 men for each side and on average they end up very even on stats.

Zip 29%
Pin 29%
Wound 28%
Kill 14%

both sides.
Amos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Penn
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hi Amos,

I tried that for a while - having many 2-point Germans in an attempt to stand up to a few high value Americans. Didn't work for me. But, we were using the maps from Day of Days (small) and close combat was chewing up my Germans.

In last night's game, as the German player I picked my soldiers that I would draw more cards and had the highest value soldier in play. My thinking was that I would win initiative more often. My problem was that my two leaders had MP40s, which I placed out front. I placed my Mauser 98 soldiers in the rear. It didn't take long for the Americans to kill my best soldiers/leaders.

I'm thinking I need to buy 1 or 2 Mauser 98 Leaders to give me a more balanced force.

-Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Palmer
United States
Windsor mill
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting. My Germans are so much better at close combat than my Americans are...

But yes, looking at the pct of kill vs pin vs wound vs zip is an important aspect of planning your squad. Also important are hit percentages at the different ranges, distribution of action types, quality of action types, and number and quality of positive and negative 'dogtag bubbles'.

I'm building an Access Database to plan my squads due to the number of variables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls