11 Posts

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Curious if this idea already exists rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan B
msg tools
mb
I'm trying to design a game where players play as different mercenary companies trying to lay siege to the same castle. Its sort of a "race to get in first before the other players do" concept. Does anything like this already exist? I've tried looking but can't find anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the wrong question! The real question is: Can you make a good game out of the idea?

If the answer is "Yes!" then who cares if it's been done before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Microbadge: Extended Stats userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: 2018 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
What Nate said. thumbsup

Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan B
msg tools
mb
Hah! Thanks!

Just didn't want to make a game if it is a blatant ripoff of another one that is popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
It's only a ripoff if you rip it off. If you come up with it yourself, it's an instance of multiple discovery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
When I've learned from my own game designing process, which is far away from the publishing level as of now, is that creativity is a reward within itself.
Better be, because the pay certainly isn't a reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean like (most) mammalian fertilization?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, Wilderness War, the War of 1812, and A Few Acres of Snow are all based on taking over and colonizing stuff in Canada with muskets. This is a narrowly-defined theme in a narrow setting with some pretty huge thematic points that each touches on, such as the difficulty of travel and making friendly with the natives.

Yet each game is so wildly different that comparing them apart from their theme would be pointless. Nobody is ever going to say "Wilderness War is too much like A Few Acres of Snow to me. It is such a rip-off." That will never be said, despite the fact that their themes and what they try to accomplish is IDENTICAL. And I mean that. They are identical themes. But what they do with that singular theme is...well, you should play both of them and figure it out. But they BOTH manage to feel like you are expanding into the unknown, braving the savage wilds, and struggling to bring troops and resources through the wilderness to fight off an imposing enemy. You'll never catch anybody saying that they're similar, though.

And do you know how many train games there are? I mean, really? I don't think there has ever been such a narrowly-stated theme so prolific in gaming as the train genre. I have 4 or 5 extremely different train games in my small collection. And they all coexist because none of them play even remotely the same. Broadly speaking, there are probably more "medieval" games, but that isn't as narrowly defined as "trains," which always amounts to building track to get places. But I digress.

My point is that nobody's going to complain that your theme is overdone, so long as the mechanics are good. Unless you're planning on doing a game about Zombies. Then your theme is overdone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel has a simmilar base theme. Co-operating yet competing squads trying to take a fortress.

But in general dont worry about being simmilar to another game.

There are endless ways to approach a theme like that. So proceed with your own design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm the Castle! does this but with fantasy races instead of mercenary companies but the same basic idea as the one you posted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls