Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
I much prefer the old.

I can see why people like the new art though. (Although I suspect that many who consider it superior have not seen the 1st edition in person.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the new art is far to dark and 'serious'.

I like the light whimsical nature of the 1st edition art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always preferred the "fruity pebbles" color scheme of the original...and I appreciate it even more now that they announced the expansion is coming and with artwork that will match the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ya know, I haven't played the old edition, but judging from pictures, I actually like the new art more. The colors are much deeper and rich, I think. The old edition just looks a little too bland and pastel for my tastes.

It's just taste, though. In this, my opinion means nothing. Just ask my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The original art is washed out pastels and I don't like it at all. I play it every day on spielbyweb.com and I wish they would implement the cool new colors. Much prettier and vibrant in my opinion. I can only take so much sea-foam green. Plus I'm a scuba diver and prefer the fact that the new edition looks real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Aldaron wrote:
I suspect that many who consider [the new edition] superior have not seen the 1st edition in person.

So far two votes against the first edition and does indeed seem (correct me if I'm wrong) that neither is based on in-person experience with it:

MUKid wrote:
Ya know, I haven't played the old edition [...]

ixnay66 wrote:
I play [the 1st edition ...] on spielbyweb.com [...]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh my turn to solicit random opinions...

I prefer the first edition.

I own the first edition. I haven't played it. Haven't even read the rules. And I've only seen those first few "teaser" pics of the second edition here on the Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't own the first edition but I have Keythedral which has similar art as the first edition. yes I like the art in keythedral, and of course if reef encounter's first edition was available at the same price as the new edition I think I would probably get the first edition. but it isn't, so now if i want a copy I don't have much choice. and actually i don't dislike the new edition. it also looks great.
I think people who have first edition are goign to say they prefer that, and people who don't and got the new edition are going to say the new one is better. it's only human nature to say what they own (spent much money for it) is the better one. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played on both editions in person. I like the artwork of both, but prefer the updated art to the original. The tiles seem more vibrant and realistic in the new edition than in the first one. Even the fish...I dunno. I'm a guy who makes his living in color, so the more vibrant and bold, the better for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st edition vote please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer the Z-Man edition. The artwork feels more realistic and serious -- which I really like. I admit that I have not seen the first editiion in person, but after seeing many pictures here on BGG and elsewhere, I decided NOT to buy the 1st edition for that very reason. When the pictures came out for the Z-Man edition, I liked the artwork so much that I finally decided to buy this fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a bit of both. I prefer the first edition corals, (as I find it a bit hard to tell the new ones apart as easily), and I like the first edition parrotfishes. I like the darker rock boards of the zman edition, although I find it hard to tell which are the "holes" on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the artwork of the new edition, although I agree that it is a bit of a challenge at times to see where the holes in the rocks are.

I've only seen pictures of the old edition here on the 'Geek, and I think it's really pretty ugly by comparison. It just looks gaudy to me in those pictures, and that's not easy to do with pastel colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen and played both editions.

The new edition is completely and totally superior over the old edition. Much easier to tell the difference between gray and white tiles now too.

The old edition is just icky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having issues obtaining the current edition as is but as for box art I definately prefer the cute-sy 1st edition more. Although Z-man have publishing rights for it here and I totally dislike Z-man's quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Grimaldi
Italy
Limbiate
Monza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the real question, for me, should be: does anyone prefer the OLD artwork?
In my opinion, the new one is simply far better than the previous!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for the old art, even though I own the Z-man edition. The board is way too dark, and I've had players that weren't able to see the holes properly. The different colored tile for the expansion square is much better than the tiny starfish too.

I guess the new art screams 'american game', and those that have played those games for years will like it better that the first one, which IMO is more iconic and practical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I have always preferred the "fruity pebbles" color scheme of the original...and I appreciate it even more now that they announced the expansion is coming and with artwork that will match the original.

That sounds like an immensely stupid idea for them to do. However, I heard the components are "edition-independent" tho, all of the expansion pieces are completely new so they'll be compatible with both editions.

I prefer Z-man. 1st edition is washed out and sickly looking. A game in progress looks like someone yarffed up on the table. I do wish the Z-man edition was just a TAD lighter tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Edition - sublime, beautiful, easy to look at, hand painted eyes and tiles that are mostly different than each other (with little snails or fish on some, not on others). Very nice work. No complaints about the white versus grey issue that has been mentioned.

2nd Edition - garish, bright bits contrasted on a dark board, hard to look at. Though people claim that it is more like a reef thus making it better, I don't see why this matters. In games or art for that matter it does not need to be photo-realistic or representative to be good (which this is not anyhow, it is stylized). If this was my only choice, I'd live with it... but given the two, one is clearly more artistic and original.

Great game either way, one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
I have always preferred the "fruity pebbles" colour scheme of the original...and I appreciate it even more now that they announced the expansion is coming and with artwork that will match the original.

That sounds like an immensely stupid idea for them to do. However, I heard the components are "edition-independent" tho, all of the expansion pieces are completely new so they'll be compatible with both editions.

I prefer Z-man. 1st edition is washed out and sickly looking. A game in progress looks like someone yarffed up on the table. I do wish the Z-man edition was just a TAD lighter tho.

Hi Magic. As 'them' I apologise for any upset I have caused in producing an R&D version of Reef Encounters of the Second Kind (RE2). However, as R&D, I cannot produce games under other labels and use their artwork so it was not for me to produce RE2 in a version compatible with the second edition of RE1. I do think also a few people would be a bit miffed if RE2 were only available for the second edition.

To add my own comments to the debate, I prefer playing with the second edition, subject to the same criticism that has already been made about the deep water spaces not being clear enough. However I do prefer the unique tiles of the first edition, but agree that white and grey tiles could be more distinct.

Regarding R&D's RE2, the artwork is in the same style as RE1. You can play with the second edition of RE1 and R&D's RE2, but the pieces would not match. You can see the prototype pieces under the game entry for RE2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Richard. Great game no matter what edition is being used. I think most of us here agree to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either or for me to be honest. After playing a couple of games and seeing the brain burner that it was I don't think any kind of artwork could help you to immerse yourself in the theme of this game.

Although it was enjoyable to an extent the down time was longer than many euros that I play and that had the effect of pulling me out of any theme and all I could see were the mechanics.

Old/New art - doesn't matter to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
I suspect that many who consider [the new edition] superior have not seen the 1st edition in person.

So far two votes against the first edition and does indeed seem (correct me if I'm wrong) that neither is based on in-person experience with it:

MUKid wrote:
Ya know, I haven't played the old edition [...]

ixnay66 wrote:
I play [the 1st edition ...] on spielbyweb.com [...]

You're making assumptions. I've seen the original in person and I still think it blows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the old artwork because I spent a lot of money on the 1st edition and feel compelled to like it better lol

Actually the new edition looks very cool in the photos, though I like the elegant pastels of the old edition to; it gives the game a very unique look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, prefer the 1st Edtion artwork. I love that each polyp tile is different than the others. Great job Juliet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.