Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First game underway and drawing several cards with no application to character, mostly intellect or strength requirements too steep. Then several others on team won't take or trade cards. The vault holds like 4 right. Is there anything productive to do with cards you can't use? And how do you dump them if not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They'll drop when you die. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a more serious note. You can gift them to gain Lith's Favor, you can use them to get into the Low Gate of the opponent's base, you can pass certain encounters by discarding them. Some characters have powers that require discarding cards, but then you wouldn't be wondering what to do if you were playing with those.

I think you can also simply discard them. You can't drop them on the landscape, but if you go over your carry limit I believe you just discard them and you might be able to voluntarily discard them. I'm just not in a good position to look it up.

I'm also not sure the vault even has a limit. Certainly not only four, though. That's the character limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks. That works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to destroy unwanted cards in you free action phase or whenever you receive new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
From the Master Compendium
Quote:
Page 10
4 card carry limit
Each character can carry 4 cards. You must immediately
discard excess cards. Place discards face up in a pile

Picking up cards
Characters cannot drop cards voluntarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm pretty sure there is no limit to cards in the vault. Where did you get that from? I assume you are thinking of the character card limit which is four.

You can destroy cards either in your free action, or when you gain more than you max number of cards.

Some uses of cards are -
To get in to enemy base.
Some labyrinth challenges.
To gain lith favour.
Some encounters if you are using them.

Not much point in voluntarily destroying them if you don't need to, unless you think you are going to get killed and the enemy will get them.

If none of your characters can use the cards - and remember to check for matching symbols which would allow you to ignore the strength/intellect requirements - then you should do one of the things above. Even if the character is not close, you may be dismissed or banished closer to them later.

Almost forgot. You know you can't use the cards, but the enemy doesn't. Bluff the hell out of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, but the enemy is me. No bluffing with solo.

But yeah, all else is right on. I'm feeling much better about surplus equipment.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha.. true!

Do remember to tread carefully when near characters whose cards you are pretending you don't know what they are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hassell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
Cool, but the enemy is me. No bluffing with solo.

But yeah, all else is right on. I'm feeling much better about surplus equipment.

Thanks again.

I know you've seen my sideboard rules for DOA1. I posted my revised version for DOA2 in this thread, which I refer to as Treasure Cycling. It works really well: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/997712/ideas-for-managin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this game continues to reveal the masterwork it appears to be I may solicit players. Bluffing would be icing on my cake.

You think the author of Hunger Games was influenced by this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, hey David.

Yeah, once I'm full up and running I'm going to check those side-boards out.

At the moment I'm trying to streamline the solo experience. Create a more passive style experience. Passive in the sense that some of the active options have been sacrificed for the sake of streamlining the solo experience so that I can sit back and have fun managing my team, and watching what shakes down.

Playing a game so as to enjoy the witnessing of the experience more than active manipulation of it, defines what I mean by a passive play style, and for solo play with a beer or cup of Joe to enhance the viewing experience, it's pretty fun.

A big step that direction is to make a random stack of sleeved character cards. I did this with DDM solo for years and it was stellar. What this does mechanically is huge. All of the cards and equipment are in a single file stack in front of me. I turn over the top card and play that character. Boom. Then I turn over the next card, put it on top an play it. When I'm through with the stack, that's a round.

The biggest downside, other than the obvious strat advantage of moving all of your characters at once, is that when you combat another character you have to open the deck to it to read the stats. No big deal if you're careful, just saying.

To further streamline I write on the sleeves with a dry erase marker to record any changes.

Now, the big upside, other than the streamlining, or actually maybe as a intrinsic function of it, is psychological. When I have the one card in front of me I am engaged solely with it. I will run a game for a week or so and each time I sit down it's obvious: the character on top of the deck is on the clock. Maybe it's a Scorpio thing to reduce to a simple duality for best results.

Whatever, I love how it works. It turns diffuseness, or head scratching, into empowerment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing non-solo there is a distinct difference in how you approach or try to circumvent a competent fighter with no cards and with say 4 cards.
I give you an example from DoAI, but it applies just as well.
The character in question was Pat Garrett, lawman of the west.
With no cards, you know exactly what to expect - you know who to rush him with, who to send around him, and that a resilient character could basically ignore him.
... but with 4 cards? Let's just say the opposing team would have done better by trying to get his cards exposed or just plain made a beeline for Elsewhereville.
This time Pat had collected a veritable fist full of pistols (3 I think) and being more than amply proficient each weapon were a kill on the opponents. A weapon is removed on a kill (type K), but that was still 3 characters lost in a very short time.

So next time I had Pat Garrett mosey around the Alamo with 2 cards not seeming to be in a hurry to be somewhere else, my opponent was very catious with being within pistolrange. Sure, Pat was hanging on to a bike and Fluffy the dog, but he didn't know that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert L Miller
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
F1 - Lewis Hamilton ROCKS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
You think the author of Hunger Games was influenced by this game?

I've always thought that this game is like a blended "Deadliest Warrior" (show on cable) and "The Hunger Games".....soooooo...maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Dennis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unrelated, but are the blue Encounter tokens from the Master set the same as the base ones? Only blue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
Unrelated, but are the blue Encounter tokens from the Master set the same as the base ones? Only blue?

They are the same. For use if the gold ones get raggedy or if you get two games going with one set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macs wrote:

You can destroy cards either in your free action, or when you gain more than you max number of cards.

People keep saying this but the rules state that you cannot voluntarily drop cards. So does this simply mean literally not dropping them on the map or does it mean you cannot just get rid of cards you don't want until you hit your limit and are forced to discard?

My interpretation from the rules was that you cannot voluntarily get rid of cards and that the only ways to get rid of cards arewrong. Here are ways to get rid of cards in the game:

1) Trade them
2) Vault them
3) Tribute them
4) Discard once you exceed your limit
5) Death
6) Suffer Interrogation
7) Use a (K)weapon to kill or imprison
8) Use a (1)item
9) Victim of the Wailing Cave
10) Possible Fail or FOPP penalty
11) Bribe with one at enemy low gate
12) Voluntarily destroying them during free action phase

Maybe "destroying them during the free action" was a DOA1 rule or maybe I missed that in the new rule book....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roliander wrote:

People keep saying this but the rules state that you cannot voluntarily drop cards. o this means literally dropping them on the map or does it mean you cannot just get rid of cards you don't want until you hit your limit and are forced to discard.

Yes. Note I said destroy not drop.

Roiander wrote:

Maybe "destroying them during the free action" was a DOA1 rule or maybe I missed that in the new rule book....

DoAII basic rule book. Page 9. : Destroying cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:

I used them last night in an all colonial ranged trial. There wernt enough colonial in yellow so I used both yellow and blue. We used only colonial platters, domes, common cards, characters, and encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.