United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
The vassal module that was released by Compass Games was unusable. It had serious issues with entering as the Soviet commander. I tried playing it a few times with a couple of different groups (all experienced in wargames and vassal) and we found the issues with it made it totally unusable.
A good geekbuddy of mine and a novice but upcoming vassal mod designer took a look at it and sent me the fruits of his labor today. thumbsupthumbsup Double Plus Good!!
It works! He appears to have solved the several issues that former mod had (untried units would not show marked as moved, quite important when playing with this many counters), (Soviet commanders could only get the right click menu if they were the player that placed the counter on the map, you know like flipping untried units to there tried side. With 2 Soviet players it became ridiculous))!

Anyhow this now is playable. Contact me if you'd like a copy of the mod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Someone deserves some GG for that effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Message to all that I sent the mod. The original mod had two major flaws:
1) "mark as moved" would not work on the untried units. This is a huge problem considering how many untried units the Russians have!
That works in the new mod
2) If more than one Russian player was entered (typical in this huge game) the mod reads them as opponents. If player one puts units on the map than player 2 cannot flip them or use the right click menu.
The new mod still has this bug BUT now you can set preferences to allow (opponent can unmask pieces) this allows the game to be playable
However only play with folks you trust, this gives the Germans an ability to flip your units to! However that would be necessary anyhow to allow speedy PBEM games.
Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Carter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
:(

There must be a trick. I am still unable to marked untried units as moved.

Please advise,

Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hedgy wrote:

There must be a trick. I am still unable to marked untried units as moved.

Please advise,

Dean
What mod are you using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Carter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Version 2 from the Compass website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hedgy wrote:
Version 2 from the Compass website.
Geek mail me your email address and I'll give you a link to one that works. The one on the Compass site is worthless.
If you read the first post it says "contact me if you want the mod"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Carter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I just discovered that some untried units work and some do not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hedgy wrote:
Yup. The mod Compass put out doesn't work. If you'd like one that does I have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Carter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
only the rifle divisions and the rifle brigades do not work.

I will geek you.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
hedgy wrote:
Yup. The mod Compass put out doesn't work. If you'd like one that does I have it.
Hi Bill,

I just tried the Compass version of the mod (version 2.0) and I was able to move Russian guards infantry units and I did see "moved" status marker on the units. What I'm puzzled about that I can't see any Russian Leg units....so where are the general infantry units (yes I can see the Guards). Does your mod solve this problem ? I only care about playing as solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter. Go to unit boxes, click on Soviet unit boxes. You will find the leg units there. Be aware that the Compass released mod has many issues and basically does not work. If you would like a mod that does geekmail me your email address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Coombs
United States
Fayetteville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is always my desire to create a module of the highest quality. But it is not unusual for a module this large and complex to have an issue or two after being "published." I find it interesting that no one had the common courtesy to contact me, the module designer, to let me know there were issues. If/when issues are found, I greatly appreciate being contacted so that I have the opportunity to address them.

The original post stated that there are "several issues" but I see only two issues reported here. As to the reported issues, I was able to identify and quickly fix the problem where certain units were not reporting Marked as Moved. However, I have been unable to recreate the other reported issue of right-click menu options not displaying for one Soviet player for units placed on the map by the other Soviet player. If someone could create a new game as one of the Soviet players, place some units on the map, save the game, then email the game save file to me, I'll be happy to research.

An updated version of the module will be posted on the Compass website once these issues are researched.

Thanks for your interest in the module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Compass was unresponsive to e-mails, so it is nice to have a direct contact.

If I remember correctly, the big problem was that masked units would not be marked as move. That came from the "Marked as Move" command was listed above the Mask command.

Once a unit is masked, only the player who masked it can access commands listed above it, so the automated flag was not showing up.

Moving the "Marked as Move" command below the "Masked" command on each unit fixed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

If I remember correctly, the big problem was that masked units would not be marked as move. That came from the "Marked as Move" command was listed above the Mask command.

Once a unit is masked, only the player who masked it can access commands listed above it, so the automated flag was not showing up.

Moving the "Marked as Move" command below the "Masked" command on each unit fixed that.
The biggest problem was that if more than one Russian commander logged in they couldn't move unmask the troops that the other player placed on the map. Separate players logged in as Russian commanders were treated by the mod as if they were on opposing sides. This is why the game was virtually unplayable. I did contact the mod designer several times but he was unable to fix the problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Coombs
United States
Fayetteville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
airjudden wrote:

The biggest problem was that if more than one Russian commander logged in they couldn't move unmask the troops that the other player placed on the map. Separate players logged in as Russian commanders were treated by the mod as if they were on opposing sides. This is why the game was virtually unplayable. I did contact the mod designer several times but he was unable to fix the problems.
Did you contact the right person? I am the module designer and no one has contacted me about either of these issues. I just happened to stumble upon this thread, which is how I found out.

As I stated above, I have corrected the Marked as Moved issue. I have attempted to reproduce the issue with the inability of the Russian commanders to use right-click options but have had no success reproducing it. Again, if someone can email me a file that demonstrates this issue -- that is, create a new game as a Soviet player, place units on the map, then save the game as a saved game file -- I'll be happy to research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kcoombs wrote:
billyboy wrote:
airjudden wrote:

Did you contact the right person? I am the module designer and no one has contacted me about either of these issues. I just happened to stumble upon this thread, which is how I found out.

As I stated above, I have corrected the Marked as Moved issue. I have attempted to reproduce the issue with the inability of the Russian commanders to use right-click options but have had no success reproducing it. Again, if someone can email me a file that demonstrates this issue -- that is, create a new game as a Soviet player, place units on the map, then save the game as a saved game file -- I'll be happy to research.
We exchanged several emails shortly after the mod was released. You were the person I contacted. You were unable to fix the problems.
In fact you released another version but unfortunately the problems were not fixed. After the exchange with you and lack of results we all gave up on this game until Judd helped us out. I don't know of anyone who has played this on vassal yet. Everyone got discouraged and lost interest after the original 2 versions Compass put out wouldn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Coombs
United States
Fayetteville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm assuming this is Bill Lawson that I am replying to since that is the only person who has contacted me directly. If so, we did exchange a couple of emails, but mostly our correspondence was on the PMD discussion board on CSW. The issue that was reported to me was that certain players were unable to flip over untried units. This was indeed fixed in version 2.0. After I announced that the new version was available, your post (#3925) on the PMD board on CSW, dated Jan 31, 2013, stated, "Kevin, thank you very much!! My friend and I are fooling around with the new mod and it seems fine." This is the last I heard from you (or anyone, for that matter) so I assumed all was good. Hence my surprise when I discovered this thread. If you did attempt to contact me after that post, then I apologize because I did not see or receive any such correspondence.

Please understand that I am not here to argue who said what. I am here to get clarification on, and address, any issues that may exist with the PMD module. If there truly is an issue then I want to resolve it. But so far I have not been able to reproduce it so I am asking for assistance. However, as a reminder, I want to repeat something that I posted last January when I announced on CSW that the new version was available, and that is this: "Fixed so that any player can flip over Untried units. Unfortunately, this fix will not apply to any games that were saved using the current module version." This means if you are still using a game file (such as a "set up" file) that was saved prior to version 2.0, then you will still experience this issue. You will need to create a new "set up" file. All games that are created and saved using version 2.0 are fine.

Again, I appreciate the interest in this module and, like you, want it to be the best that it can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kcoombs wrote:
I'm assuming this is Bill Lawson that I am replying to since that is the only person who has contacted me directly. If so, we did exchange a couple of emails, but mostly our correspondence was on the PMD discussion board on CSW. The issue that was reported to me was that certain players were unable to flip over untried units. This was indeed fixed in version 2.0. After I announced that the new version was available, your post (#3925) on the PMD board on CSW, dated Jan 31, 2013, stated, "Kevin, thank you very much!! My friend and I are fooling around with the new mod and it seems fine." This is the last I heard from you (or anyone, for that matter) so I assumed all was good. Hence my surprise when I discovered this thread. If you did attempt to contact me after that post, then I apologize because I did not see or receive any such correspondence.

Please understand that I am not here to argue who said what. I am here to get clarification on, and address, any issues that may exist with the PMD module. If there truly is an issue then I want to resolve it. But so far I have not been able to reproduce it so I am asking for assistance. However, as a reminder, I want to repeat something that I posted last January when I announced on CSW that the new version was available, and that is this: "Fixed so that any player can flip over Untried units. Unfortunately, this fix will not apply to any games that were saved using the current module version." This means if you are still using a game file (such as a "set up" file) that was saved prior to version 2.0, then you will still experience this issue. You will need to create a new "set up" file. All games that are created and saved using version 2.0 are fine.

Again, I appreciate the interest in this module and, like you, want it to be the best that it can be.
Kevin. I don't recall the exact conversation I had with you and I think we did initially think your fix had worked. However when several of us got together on vassal to try and play it we found that it still did not work. As I said previously we than all lost interest in it until Judd offered to fix it. Try your mod Kevin and have several people log in to command the Russians. Pull out a bunch of counters and see what happens or I should say doesn't. At least 8 different players on 3 different occasions attempted to use the mod and all gave up in disgust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin,

I have been doing a ton of work on my Caesar's Gallic War module, and I have an idea that I think work to fix this:

1) Go to Game Piece Prototype Definitions.
Copy the "Soviet Unit" Prototype.

2) Rename that copied prototype "Moved Unit"

3) Open it up. Remove the "Delete" and "Place Marker" properties and save it.

4) Open up the "Soviet Unit" Protype. Remove the "Marked as Move Property.

Now, go to the "Unit Boxes":

1) locate the "Motorized Rifle Divisions Box" deck.

2) Right-click and select "Edit All Contained Pieces"

3) Add a Prototype called "Moved Unit" and be sure it is BELOW "Mask".

4) Double-click "Mask".

5) Under the field "Can be masked by", select "Any of the specified sides."

6) In the box below that, type "Soviet Player 1" and click the "Add" box. Then add "Soviet Player 2" and "Solitaire".

Repeat this for all of the other decks in the "Unit Boxes" that have mask properties.

Finally, go to "Global Options" and in the "Allow non-owners to unmask pieces" be sure that it says "Never" or "Use Preference Settings".

I prefer the latter, so that in PBEM games, if I have somebody I trust and need to speed up the game, I can give them permission to flip my units. But it is a personal preference of mine. Just be sure it doesn't say "Always".

I believe that will solve your problems.

I don't know this game: it's way above my little brain. I leave it to the ubber-grogs like Bill and Kevin, so I may be off the point, but if you want to discuss it, drop me a Geekmail or we can hook up on Skype and kick it around.

Now that I know you are aware, I'll turn it over to you. I don't like to mess with another man's module without his blessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls