David Stewart
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
What do you think makes a better mechanic?

1. Dice totals equaling a total number of hit points.

Example:

You roll three D6s you get a 3, 4, 6 so you total roll is 13 equaling 13 damage or 13 hit points

2. Hit or miss dice

Example:

Three sides of the dice are hit, three sides are miss. You roll three dice you can get up to three hits or three misses, or any combination thereof.

I am curious as to what most people prefer. The hit or miss dice seem like there is a lot less room for randomness. Whereas with say 3 D6s there is a huge range, 3-18 which leaves a lot of room for error.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easier just to look at dice rather than add them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a trinomial distribution either way. The 3d6 method has a larger range of course, but is still heavily skewed towards the centre of the bell curve.

Assuming it gives sufficient granularity for what you are trying to achieve, then I prefer the second method. Even more so, if one of those sides is a critical, or a fumble, or some other effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, if you use 1-3 as a miss and 4-6 as a hit you can have the same dice used for both systems.

Many games have a roll many dice, hit on some number system- 5+ for example in Here I Stand. Mare Nostrum has a system whereby you roll a number of dice, add up the total, and divide by 4- the result is the number of hits. You might think this would be much the same as 4+ to hit- but of course it has a considerably higher average number of hits (and some guaranteed hits if rolling 4 or more dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:
This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
bill437 wrote:
This.

Yeah, adding three single-digit numbers is a lot of work. Perhaps you could include a chart.

Each serves a different purpose and you may want to look to your setting and theme for guidance as much as anything. Attacking with three batallions would tend to favor each die acting independently. A gladiator wielding a huge axe feels more like the three being one total.

Other rules would modify differently as well. Adding one to each die when they're taken individually will make a much bigger difference than when totaled. Other rules may make the decision for you.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stewart
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools

What I am thinking at this point is that it will be the 3 sides are a miss and three sides are a hit.

I would like to do a two sides hit/two sides miss /two sides ????, but I have no idea what the 3rd set would be.

Critical hit dice will be a separate dice with 2 critical hits and four misses. You will only roll the critical hit dice when you play a weapon card that matches your characters special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Each serves a different purpose and you may want to look to your setting and theme for guidance as much as anything. Attacking with three batallions would tend to favor each die acting independently. A gladiator wielding a huge axe feels more like the three being one total.

Other rules would modify differently as well. Adding one to each die when they're taken individually will make a much bigger difference than when totaled. Other rules may make the decision for you.

S.
I agree with what Sagrilarus is saying here, except I'd reverse the examples (unless he is referring to three battalions with defined separate targets) as attrition tends to occur more in larger units than on individuals (who tend to take very few effective hits).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawkins
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding dice gives a game designer more precision over percentages for hits and misses. Having each die independently be one hit or one miss is easier for players. With three dice, adding isn't a big deal, but I have played RPGs that involve throwing and adding 10+ dice. As the number of dice increases, adding becomes more of a chore for players and slows down the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls