oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See if I got this right....

3 blocks to enter at Taneystown. I want to move them to G.burg as fast as possible. (Road)

According to rules.
I have to keep 2 offboard. Place 1 at road entry. Move it during March phase. Do the same next hour with next block in line.

Limitations:

Not allowed to stack all 3 at same position.
Spread out all 3 at once, means that only 1 may move by road. You cannot enter road anywhere on the map and then use road movement. Rules say specific Road Entry for road movement.

Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You use road entry movement before march movement. (W)ithdrawal, (A)ttack, (R)einforcement, (M)arch.

So, during reinforcement you would place 1 block on the road and zip it down the line towards Gettysburg. On the next hour you would place the next block on the road and send it down the line, etc.

During the first hour that a command is available for reinforcement you can bring on one of it's blocks using road movement but the other blocks cannot be sent to other entry points. This is called Transfer movement and you must wait an additional hour to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Furyn wrote:
You use road entry movement before march movement. (W)ithdrawal, (A)ttack, (R)einforcement, (M)arch

So, during reinforcement you would place 1 block on the road and zip it down the line towards Gettysburg. On the next hour you would place the next block on the road and send it down the line, etc..
Yes. But as I understand, the reinforcement phase is just placement of a block on the map, not moving it. If further movement is allowed, you are right. Another move during March seems too strong for me.

Furyn wrote:
During the first hour that a command is available for reinforcement you can bring on one of it's blocks using road movement but the other blocks cannot be sent to other entry points. This is called Transfer movement and you must wait an additional hour to do it.
Transfer will give an hour delay. You must have some good reasons to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
Furyn wrote:
You use road entry movement before march movement. (W)ithdrawal, (A)ttack, (R)einforcement, (M)arch

So, during reinforcement you would place 1 block on the road and zip it down the line towards Gettysburg. On the next hour you would place the next block on the road and send it down the line, etc..
Yes. But as I understand, the reinforcement phase is just placement of a block on the map, not moving it. If further movement is allowed, you are right. Another move during March seems too strong for me.
Reinforcement is movement, just as is Withdrawal and Attack (and March). A block gets to make one move per turn (plus the exceptions in Section 15), which means that if a block uses Reinforcement movement in one hour, it can't then March in that hour, but this is generalizable: a block that Withdraws in one hour cannot then Attack or March in that hour, nor can a block that Attacks then March in that hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except move allowance, my initial statement is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the initial statement: You can only enter one block per turn per entry point via road movement, and only if you don't use off-road movement that turn at the same entry point. So if you want to move from Taneytown directly to Gettysburg, then on the first hour one block will use On-road movement during Reinforcement movement, on the second hour the next block will use on-road movement during Reinforcement movement, and on the third hour the final block will use on-road movement during Reinforcement movement.

Blocks moving on-road don't care about other friendly blocks that aren't using on-road movement that hour, so you can stack all 3 together as a result of just reinforcement moves if you don't otherwise move the first arrivals elsewhere.

The blocks that enter earlier can move by other means while the later blocks are still moving by Reinforcement. This will typically be by March (and only by March if this is a multi-hour turn), but could also be by Withdrawal or Attack, depending. So, for the example above, the second hour might actually see Block #2 move into a shared position during Reinforcement, and then Block #1 shuffle southwards during March to extend the line. The third hour could see the same, with both Blocks #1 and #2 moving southward. If it's three one-hour turns, this is played out in this stepwise order.

If it's a single three-hour turn, then all three blocks make their reinforcement moves (because 3 hours is enough to bring in three blocks per road), stopping together or separately as desired, and then Blocks 1 and 2 can move a second time (this time during March movement) by virtue of having entered before the final hour of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha tought I was blind. Read chapter 12 a zillion times without finding the natural not allowed march move after reinforcement move. Thanks to Stephen ref chapter 15 you find it as a conclusion of first sentence. Everything is in the book, but really you have to read it as lawyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's very dense, and in many ways really demands to be understood only as a whole.

The reason you didn't find multiple movement in Section 12, for example, is because the core rule is in Section 10, the movement overview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would've been clearer if you didn't create a separate section for reinforcements and instead just had an exception in the movement rules for reinforcements. The separate sections seemed a little disjointed to me. However, I understood the rules as they were intended without much difficulty. The GoG rules were much easier to learn than NT or BaM for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 7, 1st column
(confederate player) reinforcement can enter on-road in the first turn they are available to enter only if other reinforcements have previously entered at that entry point.

so the first block entering a reinforcement point must always move off -road?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can enter on-road but not on the first turn it's available to enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To make it clear.

It is no ambiguity in the rules. It is the structure I am not used to. Quite different buildup than Volko Rhunke`s Labyrinth and Totaler Krieg, a few examples.....

After reading the rules a couple of times, my brain created an assumption to make the game work properly. (Initial placement of block during reinforcement). Too bad it was stuck as fact.soblue

Heck - it is only 13 pages! It cant be that difficult to play it right!

If you are sitting on the fence due to rule questions here at BGG. Jump off and buy it. Awesome game. Great community of experienced playtesters to help you out here. Again, it is only 13 pages to read and understand.

Thank you Bowen for an awesome game. After a few turns of play trough I have glimpse of what to come in real game of GoG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2000Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ragdoll cat loverMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 14 BGG poster
Agzaroth wrote:
Page 7, 1st column
(confederate player) reinforcement can enter on-road in the first turn they are available to enter only if other reinforcements have previously entered at that entry point.

so the first block entering a reinforcement point must always move off -road?
For the Confederates, yes. I assume it's because they are deploying as a screening force when entering the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. But if I wait off-map a whole turn (the one they are avaliable), the next turn can I move all the blocks by road (1 per hour)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2000Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ragdoll cat loverMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 14 BGG poster
Agzaroth wrote:
Ok. But if I wait off-map a whole turn (the one they are avaliable), the next turn can I move all the blocks by road (1 per hour)?
Good question. I would say yes. I hadn't picked up on that on my first read through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agzaroth wrote:
Depends, for the Confederates at least one block must have entered that reinforcement area by off road movement before any blocks can enter by road.

There is no requirement that you wait off board before using road movement except in the case of multiple blocks entering the same reinforcement area. If you want use the road for all the blocks, then no more than 1 per hour can enter, the first block entering the turn it is available.

Historically, the Conferderates were entering the battlefield without knowledge of the Union locations and deployed skirmishers ahead of their march columns hence why they need to send in at least one block off road before the road columns can come up. The Union cavalry had already scouted ahead and cleared the main roads for the infantry columns coming up so the Union has no such restriction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cparrott wrote:
Agzaroth wrote:
Depends, for the Confederates at least one block must have entered that reinforcement area by off road movement before any blocks can enter by road.
No, that's not the rule.

The rule is: "Reinforcements can enter on-road in the first turn that they are available to enter only if other reinforcements have previously entered at that entry point." (emphasis mine)

Nothing in there says anything about off-road movement. Thus, if Rodes appears on the Harrisburg entry point on the first turn of the game, the Confederate player has the following options:

1) Enter off-road immediately. This is good if Buford is in a position to block the road.

2) Wait one turn, and on the second turn, enter on-road and march directly to Gettysburg, with the second block doing likewise on the third turn. This is good if Buford is out of position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point on the 'in the first turn', but I felt the 'only if other reinforcements' clause was more relevant. Meaning someone had to enter the area in order to activate the road. But with Bowen's rules what it says is what it means, so I stand corrected.

It's mostly an academic issue as the Union should be deploying to take away the Confederates ability to get any where on the roads on the first day. Maybe Mummasburg might be hard to bottle up but with a 1 hour delay as you point out, easy enough to scoot Buford over to lay a field of fire to slow the rebs down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls