Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: CatholicMicrobadge: Whiskey!Microbadge: Warhammer 40,000 - Tyranids and Genestealers fanMicrobadge: 2020 Miniature Painters Guild Challenge participantMicrobadge: COIN fan
This could have been asked (and answered) before, but my searches haven’t been able to dig it up.

Do the rules for melee combat change when there are more than two characters in a single hex? I was thinking that it wouldn't necessarily need to; each character picks a target and goes the through the melee steps as normal. However, this could allow there to be multiple attacks from a single character which doesn't jive with the rule book entry: “Each character can make one melee attack against any one enemy of their choice in the space”

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks in advance!

*Update*
For those who don’t want to wade through the subsequent posts, the answer I gleaned from the responses is that there are no special rules governing multi-character melee. Each character gets a single attack, wits value determining order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Let's play by these rules - the ones actually in the rulebookMicrobadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?Microbadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: Game Elitist
The cited phrase is a limitation on number of attacks a character can make, not the number of times a character may be targeted. Melee combat works the same regardless of the number of participants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sulat
United Kingdom
Dundee
- Choose a State
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chaos in the Old World fanMicrobadge: Arena: the Contest fanMicrobadge: Warangel fanMicrobadge: Dreadball: The Futuristic Sports Game fanMicrobadge: BattleCON: War of Indines fan
We have had beautiful moments with 3 characters in a space fighting. You are the character with the second highest wits - the guy with higher wits has only 1 life left and bungled his attack on you. If you strike him down you are almost sure to kill him.

But! Your not too healthy yourself and when the low wits character attacks she could well kill you.

If you attack her though there is a tiny chance you will take her out before she can attack and then you will be safe for 1 more round but really it is a long shot and you may not take out anyone at all.

What do you do? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: CatholicMicrobadge: Whiskey!Microbadge: Warhammer 40,000 - Tyranids and Genestealers fanMicrobadge: 2020 Miniature Painters Guild Challenge participantMicrobadge: COIN fan
Gyges wrote:
The cited phrase is a limitation on number of attacks a character can make, not the number of times a character may be targeted.
Thanks for the response, Gyges.

So, the attack you get to perform as the result of being a target of a melee attack doesn't count toward the number of attacks a character is allowed to make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Let's play by these rules - the ones actually in the rulebookMicrobadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?Microbadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: Game Elitist
I don't understand--you don't get to perform an attack as the result of being a target. Each character gets one attack, and they may direct it at whomever they choose in their hex.
(Of course, special abilities modify this)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: I wait to open Secret Santa gifts!Microbadge: "TAKE SIX MEAT DAMAGE, FROWNY EURODUDE!"Microbadge: L5R Phoenix Clan
It goes like this.
1) Figure out which characters have the highest Wits.
2) If there's a tie then the active team chooses one of their characters with the highest wits to go next. They make a single attack against a single target.
3) If there's still a tie then the other team chooses one of their characters to go next. They make a single attack against a single target.
4) If there's only characters on one team with the highest Wits then all characters with those wits gets to attack a single target.
5) Repeat 2), 3), 4) until all characters with the highest Wits has acted.
6) Find out which characters have the next highest Wits.
7) Repeat 2), 3) 4), 5), 6) until all characters in the hex have acted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Let me make sure I understand the melee phase correctly then.

If character A and B end up in the same space, Melee happens.

1.)The character with the highest Wit value goes first. Let's say character A has highest Wit and attacks first.
2.)Once the melee is resolved, hit or miss, damage will be calculated and applied.
3.)If B survives, then B gets to go through the same steps and perform a melee attack against A.

Is that correct?

I guess from the way I was reading the rules, I was thinking that the target's attack against its attacker will happen as a result of the melee attack. I guess its just saying that each character gets an single attack, wits value determining order.

Thanks for the assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, you've got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Splotter fanMicrobadge: Lisboa fanMicrobadge: Meaty Game fanMicrobadge: Keyflower fan
Svengaard wrote:
It goes like this.
1) Figure out which characters have the highest Wits.
2) If there's a tie then the active team chooses one of their characters with the highest wits to go next. They make a single attack against a single target.
3) If there's still a tie then the other team chooses one of their characters to go next. They make a single attack against a single target.
4) If there's only characters on one team with the highest Wits then all characters with those wits gets to attack a single target.
5) Repeat 2), 3), 4) until all characters with the highest Wits has acted.
6) Find out which characters have the next highest Wits.
7) Repeat 2), 3) 4), 5), 6) until all characters in the hex have acted.
I think steps 2 and 3 might be a bit off. My understanding is that in the case of characters tieing for wits, *all* of the active teams characters involved in the tie go first, their choice of order. Only then does the non-active team do their attacks for tieing characters.

Short version - the active side *always* wins a wits tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: VeganMicrobadge: Cat-in-a-boxMicrobadge: Apple haterMicrobadge: Tea drinker
ChimpMasaki wrote:
We have had beautiful moments with 3 characters in a space fighting. You are the character with the second highest wits - the guy with higher wits has only 1 life left and bungled his attack on you. If you strike him down you are almost sure to kill him.

But! Your not too healthy yourself and when the low wits character attacks she could well kill you.

If you attack her though there is a tiny chance you will take her out before she can attack and then you will be safe for 1 more round but really it is a long shot and you may not take out anyone at all.

What do you do? devil
Is there any reason not to attack?
j3rm wrote:
Gyges wrote:
The cited phrase is a limitation on number of attacks a character can make, not the number of times a character may be targeted.
Thanks for the response, Gyges.

So, the attack you get to perform as the result of being a target of a melee attack doesn't count toward the number of attacks a character is allowed to make?
Oh, only attacked units get a chance to fight back? Not all units in the spot as some other unit? What says the low wits character won't kill you anyway? It had already moved there?
Gyges wrote:
I don't understand--you don't get to perform an attack as the result of being a target. Each character gets one attack, and they may direct it at whomever they choose in their hex.
(Of course, special abilities modify this)
... or not.

I don't get your stories. They make no sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
bernardoZ7 wrote:
Macs wrote:
I think steps 2 and 3 might be a bit off. My understanding is that in the case of characters tieing for wits, *all* of the active teams characters involved in the tie go first, their choice of order. Only then does the non-active team do their attacks for tieing characters.
The rules don't say that. What they do say is that each character can make make one melee attack against any one enemy of their choice, and that they are handled in order of wits - the highest wits attacks first. No mention of characters with lower wits on the same team then going before characters on the other team with higher wit.
No one said they did. We're laying rules questions on top of people misinterpreting rules and then misinterpreting the questions.
What is at issue: Say it is the melee phase of Black's turn, and there are two characters from each team in a hex. Say furthermore that they all have the same Wits value.
Mr. Lucas was asserting that the order is B-W-B-W, where Black wins the tie but you then alternate.
For what it's worth, my reading of rules can find no mention of such alternation, so I agree with Macs' interpretation that it is instead B-B-W-W.
(Edit: switched posters' names by mistake)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Splotter fanMicrobadge: Lisboa fanMicrobadge: Meaty Game fanMicrobadge: Keyflower fan
Hi Mark.

Actually I think you may have misinterpreted my post

Lucas was suggesting alternating. I was saying, as you are that there should not be alternations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
bernardoZ7 wrote:
Macs wrote:
The rules don't say that. What they do say is that each character can make make one melee attack against any one enemy of their choice, and that they are handled in order of wits - the highest wits attacks first. No mention of characters with lower wits on the same team then going before characters on the other team with higher wit.
I think you mistook my post. That's two people, I must not be clear!

I bolded the part I think you missed. All active team characters in the tie go first, not all active team characters in the melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Righto. Sorry, I just switched some proper names of strangers. I'll fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls