Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: New Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Letters from Whitechapel fanMicrobadge: Fury of Dracula fanMicrobadge: Tobago fanMicrobadge: Eminent Domain fan
Welcome to BSG PBF Game V81 - Putting the Band Back Together

I recently had reason to look back through a bunch of my previous games, starting with BSG 252 and ending abruptly in the middle of BSG v49. It's been a while since I ran a game here, and I miss you guys, so I'm going to use this as an excuse to kill two birds with one stone.

This game is completely open-ended, in terms of configuration. We can use Flaws, Staggered Loyalty, and/or the Cylon Pursuit variant I worked on in v56. I'll allow the new characters and Cylon Leaders we've seen from Daybreak (though not the alternates, as they depend on Daybreak mechanics that we don't have enough information for yet). And, as a little added push for me, I will finish up my work on Revelations if enough people are willing to wait for it to finish up before the game starts.

The game will follow the format established by Our Overlord of Kobol/New Caprica/Ionian Nebula, Brian (ColtsFan76). Game state will be tracked using the absolutely excellent OpenOffice/Gimp toolset created by Orphius. The rest of this opening post is shamelessly ripped off from Selwyth.

============================================================
The fine print. Read if this is your first BSG PBF game (but if that's the case, you're in the wrong Forum ). Skim if it isn’t.
Post typography
* Normal text for discussions, etc
* Italics for flavour text/fluff – love reading it, keeps the game fun and interesting.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions. I won't process any decisions/actions unless bolded in the thread.

Images
Avatars change, images don't. Images can be found here. Please use an image or banner for all of your posts (especially in-character).

Players
This game is by invite only - there is a waiting list being maintained here - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BSG_PBF_Variant

- Rules & Regulations for the PBF games apply.
- To make things easier on myself, I will refer to all players by your character name and noun.
- For game speed, CO’s are a great way to keep things moving along.
- I will not wait for you to use your OncePerGame unless you say so, and if you’re going to interrupt in favor of the Cylons then please leave a CO beforehand, since I’m not going to check specifically for this every time there’s an attack.

And some more game-specific rules, which you might not have encountered in other BSG PBF games.

d10-1 You must check in at least twice a day, about 12 hours apart. The more frequently you check in, the better. I moderate games how I like to play them: warp-speed fast, and I use an extensive CO system to keep it going. I want to go through a whole player turn most days, so this is not for you if you cannot commit to this pace. If you have not made a move in 12 hours when you have to act, I will issue a reminder. If you still have not moved in 24 hours, I will issue a warning and remove you from the game for repeat offenses.

d10-2 The first rule will not be enforced if you notify me ahead of time that you may not be able to post in time (work, travel, vacation etc).

d10-3 Public COs are strictly forbidden, and so are “CO sent” announcements. All COs are strictly confidential in geekmail between you and me. Bolding actions when it's not your go is also forbidden (since they're public COs by another name). In the real game, you are never publicly bound to actions as you are with COs, so they should stay private. This is to protect an unrevealed Cylon’s right to lie, and to decrease the certainty of future events (and hence maintain paranoia). I also do not want to create an environment of “gaming” the CO system.

d10-4 The sole exception to the above rule is the TANK. Tank means "I pass on Interrupts, and I plan to pass on contributing to the check unless someone plays in before I do." If every Human player submits a Tank during the Interrupt phase, we will skip the check entirely; I will reveal Destiny and resolve the outcome. Any player (including Cylons) may submit a CO to play into the check (regardless of whether they publicly submit a Tank), and any players who contribute after them will be allowed the opportunity to respond.

d10-5 You are encouraged not to click back through too many previous pages to track cards played that you weren't actively trying to remember. If you do have to discuss something obscure that happened in the past, do not quote or link, but use your own words to describe what you think happened.

d10-6 For Interrupts:
If you CO me to pass on an Interrupt (i.e. you have a standing CO to always pass on SP, only use your 1 - EM and never your 2, etc.) I will enforce this after everyone else's response has been gathered. This will give you time to reconsider.

Everyone is considered to have a standing CO to pass if they do not have the Interrupt in question. In the beginning portion of the game, if you have never drawn the appropriate color, this will be enforced when the Interrupt Token is posted (as it's fairly public knowledge) to speed things up. I will switch to enforcing this at the same time as all other Pass COs at some point during the game.

Declare Emergency: I will not wait for these after a skill check. You have PLENTY of time to send in a CO once the check is posted.

Strategic Planning: I will not wait for SP on Scouts until there are two Raptors left. I will not ask for SPs on shots against Vipers, Raiders, or Galactica (Cylons, if you want to soft-reveal this way or you already have, CO these in ASAP). I will always ask for SPs on shots against Heavies, Centurions, and Basestars, unless everyone has put in their COs already.

Evasive Maneuvers: I will wait for EMs exactly once, after which I will request that Pilots send in COs for how they'd prefer to use them.

If you disagree with these, send in a CO, even if it's just "Wait for SP on any die roll you speedy bastard." If I think the game situation warrants it, I'll slow down for Interrupts even if it conflicts with COs and/or the above.

d10-7 Secrecy: You all know the rules. Don't use specific point values at any time unless you're playing the card. When contributing to a check, say High or Low; you may say Medium if you're contributing more than one card, don't collude with other players on the meanings of those words (and don't pointedly remark that you're not saying one of those values). If you're playing into an interrupt, and you think there's a chance that someone else will play the same interrupt, only announce that you'll use one, not the strength. I will forward relevant information to the Current Player, who will decide which one to play.

You may ask another player if they have a specific type of card ("Can you Repair?"), but don't use that as a license to suss out a player's hand. Same with Quorum cards. For other secret information (Destinations, buried Crises, Civilians) use sound judgment, but again without specifics (no, you can't even say "no jump icon" when burying a Crisis).

============================================================

House Rules and Variants will be explained in subsequent posts, followed by a poll to determine game configuration. Let's get some players, though!

Invitees
Aurianna -
Cadane -
cal2cool4u -
Eunomiac -
Jimmythejet -
Khaaaaan -

Eunomiac is, I expect, a symbolic invitation. I've got a couple other players in mind to take the sixth spot, but if this brings him back the post is worth it. And we could, of course, leave the seat empty and play a 5-player game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: New Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Letters from Whitechapel fanMicrobadge: Fury of Dracula fanMicrobadge: Tobago fanMicrobadge: Eminent Domain fan
From gallery of DukeOfEarl

House Rules
All

If a Player is in the Brig at the end of their Action Step, their turn ends. Boomer can still use her Recon, this really only has an effect in games with Cylon Pursuit and is otherwise a transparent change.

Assign Vice President now reads: "Action: Draw two Politics and give this card to another Player. The Vice President is considered the highest Player in the line of Succession for the President Title. If any player must give the President Title to a Player of their choice, they must choose the Vice President. If the Vice President receives the President Title, discard this card." This covers Administration, Prisoner Revolt, Resignation, etc. If you're wondering whether Assign Vice President will cover a particular effect, ask.

From gallery of Jasperhawk

Alert Viper Pilot: If you are on Galactica and not in the Brig Location when a Basestar is placed on the Main Game Board, you may immediately launch a Viper and pilot it, then take an Action.
CAG: Unchanged.
Headstrong: Unchanged.

Base Only
The Quorum Hand is limited to 10 cards as it would be in Pegasus. This is to prevent cycling ABFs (among other exploits).

We will be using the Loyalty passing rules from Pegasus as well: Cylons, when they Reveal, will pass off their Loyalty Cards immediately. If a Cylon receives a Loyalty Card after they Reveal, it will also be passed off immediately.

Pegasus
Accept Prophecy will allow the President to increase the difficulty of an Airlock check. Assign Arbitrator does not apply to the Airlock.

Pegasus cannot be damaged unless someone is in an undamaged Pegasus location.

We'll be using the following Cylon Leader Agendas:
Prove Their Worth - Humans Win, and at least 7 raptors/vipers are damaged or destroyed AND 3 or more Galactica/Pegasus locations are damaged. (Pegasus being destroyed counts.)
Convert the Infidels - Human Win, and the resource dials total 12 or lower.
Guide Them to Destiny - Humans Win, and Morale and Population are within 2 of each other.
Grant Mercy - Humans Win, and Food or Population is at 2 or lower.
The Illusion of Hope - Cylons Win, and 7 or more units of distance have been traveled AND Morale is 2 or higher.
The Enemy Within - Cylons Win, and you are Infiltrating and not in the Brig.

And we'll be using the following change to the Human Fleet location:
Choose two (in order): Look at the top card of the Crisis or Destination deck and place it on the top or bottom of that deck, draw 2 Skill Cards of different types (may come from outside your skill set), or infiltrate Galactica.

Intolerant: Unchanged.
Blind Jump - Action: Once per game, draw and destroy 2 Civilian Ships to remove all Cylon Ships from the Main Game Board.
Bent on Revenge: Unchanged.

Inspirational Leader: Unchanged.
Command Authority: Unchanged.
Emotionally Attached: You may not Activate the Admiral's Quarters or Airlock locations.

Cylon Hatred: Whenever a player activates the "Admiral's Quarters" or "Airlock" locations, you may reduce the difficulty by 3.
Declare Martial Law: Unchanged
Alcoholic: Unchanged.

Treacherous Destiny
Destiny is built and rebuilt without including Treachery. When a Human player discards a Treachery card from his hand, it is added to the Destiny Deck, and Destiny is shuffled. All players receive 1 Treachery at the start of the game in addition to their starting draw. (Yeah, last-minute change, but I'm making this easier on everyone.)

Exodus
At the end of the game, the last Loyalty Card in the deck will be revealed. If it is a You Are A Cylon card, the player holding the other You Are A Cylon card may reduce any single resource by 1, Damage Galactica twice, or Activate Centurions.

6 - Political Prowess now reads: "Play after another player Activates a Location to trigger a Skill Check. Do not make a skill check; instead, it automatically passes or fails (your choice)."

If we use the Cylon Fleet Board, 1 - Broadcast Location reads: "Reckless Skill Check: Increase the Pursuit Track by 1."

Blind Jump: If using the Cylon Fleet Board, instead of removing the Cylon Ships, move them to the Cylon Fleet Board.

If using Ionian Nebula, Sickbay Trauma will be drawn when the Player arrives at Sickbay. Brig Trauma will be drawn at the end of the Player's Action Step.

Adaptable: Whenever any player uses the Action on a Quorum card, you may play a Consolidate Power.
Influential - Action: Once per game, you may look at the top 5 cards of the Quorum deck. You may put up to two cards on the bottom of the deck; put the remainder on top in any order you choose.
Amoral: Unchanged.

Star Player: When you launch in a Viper, you may discard any number of Skill Cards. Then, draw that number of cards of any one Skill Type within your Skill Set.
Longshot: Unchanged.
Starts on the Bench: Unchanged.

Daybreak
The following characters may be selected:

Board Game: Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Daybreak Expansion
Board Game: Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Daybreak Expansion

Hoshi: Dutiful may be used on Pegasus CIC or the Main Batteries.
Athena: For Love may not be used when a Cylon Reveals or when a player is Executed. Specifically, these events temporarily reduce a player's hand limit to 3 or 0, respectively.

Revelations
Sorry, folks, not done updating the sheet yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge

Staggered Loyalty
Loyalty will not be distributed in phases. Instead, it will be distributed on a continual basis throughout the game. The number of Loyalty Cards remaining in the Loyalty deck will be announced after each increase in Distance, but otherwise players will not be told when others receive Loyalty Cards. Loyalty Cards will only be distributed at the end of a turn, i.e. between the Prepare For Jump step and the next player's draw step. Loyalty will not necessarily be distributed to the Current Player, though. Loyalty will not necessarily be dealt after every turn. If you have no Loyalty Cards, you are considered Human. I will, at each Jump, provide the number of Loyalty Cards remaining in the Loyalty deck.

There are five exceptions to the above:
One Loyalty Card is distributed privately at the start of the game to a random player. This is to remove to One Free Turn effect, which is frakking annoying.
Baltar publicly receives a single Loyalty Card at the beginning of the game.
Boomer publicly receives a single Loyalty Card when she is sent to the Brig by her drawback at Distance 4.
When a Cylon Reveals, they publicly announce who they pass their Loyalty Cards to, but not the number of cards they are passing.
When a Revealed Cylon receives a Loyalty Card (yes, they are still eligible), they pass it publicly.

Players may not discuss the number of Loyalty Cards they hold. This includes making claims that you have none.

Baltar's OPG, and cards that allow you to look at a random Loyalty Card, work as normal. If you look at a random Loyalty Card, you will not be told how many cards the player holds. If you inspect someone's Loyalty and they have no Loyalty Cards, you will be told.

Once a Player has been dealt two Loyalty Cards, they will be ineligible to receive more. This does not apply to Loyalty Cards dealt publicly (Baltar, Boomer, etc.). If a Human is Executed, they reveal all of their Loyalty cards, then shuffle an equal number of YANAC cards into the Loyalty deck. This resets the counter on how many Loyalty Cards they may receive. We'll ignore the Exodus Loyalty rules (the extra Loyalty Card in the deck and the Loyalty dealt after Execution) as well. There's enough ambiguity in the game with Staggered Loyalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge

Cylon Pursuit

Credit to An alternative to the Cylon Fleet Board for providing the basic idea.

There's a new component that's a lot like the Pursuit track on the Cylon Fleet board. It consists of 5 spaces, with the leftmost labeled Start. Under each, from left to right, are the numbers 7, 6, 5, 5, 4 in progressively more intense shades of red. (The specifics of the track might change before the game starts)

At the start of the game, separate all of the Cylon Attack crisis cards into a deck of their own and shuffle it. Set the Pursuit Tracker to its starting position.

Whenever a player draws a Crisis card, roll a die and decrease the result by 1 for each Basestar on the Main Game Board. If the result is higher than value shown below the Pursuit Marker, instead of drawing a Crisis from the Crisis deck, draw the top card of the Cylon Attack deck and resolve it. If the die result is lower than or equal to the value shown below the Pursuit Marker, draw a normal Crisis card. During the Activate Cylon Ships step of a Player's turn, if there was no Attack on that turn, advance the Pursuit Marker.

When the Fleet jumps, reset the Pursuit Tracker to its starting position.

The Cylon Fleet location gains the text "OR Advance the Pursuit Marker."

Launch Scout is changed to read: "Action: Risk 1 Raptor to roll a die. If 3 or higher, look at the top card of the Crisis, Attack, or Destination deck and place it on the top or the bottom OR Prevent Pursuit from advancing until the end of the turn. Otherwise, destroy 1 Raptor."

Thirty-Three's special ability is changed to read: "Relentless Pursuit: Keep in play until a Civilian ship or Basestar is destroyed. If this card is in play when the fleet jumps, do not reset the Pursuit Tracker."

Special Notes:
1: The Cylon Attack deck has its own Discard pile. If all Cylon Attacks are played, the deck is rebuilt.
2: Broadcast Location is unchanged, because it no longer stalls the Pursuit Track.
3: Any effect which refers to a Crisis card also refers to a Cylon Attack Card. Specifically:
4: Starbuck may use her OPG if someone draws a Cylon Attack. If she does, she must roll the die before drawing another Crisis.
5: On Roslin's turn, or if a Cylon activates Caprica, they roll the die for each Crisis card drawn. Yes, these die rolls are public (unfortunately).
6: Baltar's Delusional Intuition works even if he draws an Attack.
7: If the Current Player chooses the OR on Fulfiller of Prophecy, she rolls the die before drawing a new Crisis.
8: The Pursuit roll is a normal die roll, and can be affected by Character abilities or Skill Card effects.
9: As Cylons do not have an Activate Cylon Ships step on their turns, Activating Caprica will not advance the Pursuit Track.

I might be able to cobble together a representation of the Pursuit track on the game board image, but it's more likely that I'll have to use text underneath for it, especially at the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge

Flaws
Each player is dealt a Flaw when Loyalty would normally be distributed at the start of the game (i.e. after choosing a character, before drawing skills). The Flaw is secret information, but is not a Loyalty card - more like an Agenda, but does not give victory conditions. Instead, it gives the player a secret minor drawback.

There's choice involved, though, as the drawback is not set in stone. Instead, it functions such that when a player fulfills a certain condition, the card is automatically Revealed. This is bad, as the Flaw becomes public and imposes a much stronger, permanent drawback.

On the other hand, each Flaw can be voluntarily Revealed and Discarded after 6 Distance to give the player a specific benefit. As you cannot Reveal a public card, this is an either-or situation. If you break the conditions on your Flaw, you lose the benefit.

Base Game Flaws

Pegasus Flaws

Exodus Flaws
None yet.

Daybreak/Revelations Flaws
Yep, I intend to implement some Daybreak- and Revelations-based Flaws. That'll take more time, and more information.

FAQ
Cylons discard their Flaws when they Reveal. If a Cylon Reveals before they Reveal their Flaw, the Flaw is discarded face down.

If you are Executed:
If you're a Cylon, see above.
If you're Human and there's still a Flaw in your hand, discard it face down and draw a new one for your new Character.
If you're Human and you've previously been forced to Reveal your Flaw, discard it, draw a new one for your new character, and immediately Reveal it for its penalty.
If you're Human and you have no Flaw because you already Revealed it for its benefit, congratulations! You don't get a new one, though.

Flaws DO NOT turn off when the Fleet reaches 6 Distance. You would do well to get rid of your Flaw at the earliest opportunity. The only exception is Sentimental, because the Trigger and the opportunity to Reveal are the same.

If Helo or Gaeta are Reckless, it affects their rerolls. It does not affect Hotshot or Longshot, as those are not die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge

Poll: BSG v81 Configuration Options
12. Player Count?
13. Expansions?
Pegasus
Exodus
Revelations (will require an indeterminate wait while I complete it)
14. Where are we headed?
Kobol
New Caprica
Ionian Nebula
15. How do we do trigger space combat?
Normal CACs
Cylon Fleet Board
Cylon Pursuit variant
16. How do we make Humans act like Cylons?
Personal Goals (yuck)
Flaws
We don't.
17. What else should we add to the pot?
Final Five
Staggered Loyalty
Complex Destiny
Treacherous Destiny
Something else?
      5 answers
Poll created by Jasperhawk

Huh. No idea why the questions are numbered that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurianna
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cat loverMicrobadge: This is so exciting! I've never been so excited! Well, except for that time when I went "Oh my gosh, I'm a microbadge!", but I mean, really, who can top that?!Microbadge: Rose-Hulman Institute of TechnologyMicrobadge: St. Louis Cardinals fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
Ooooh... do I get to play this too even though I'm in #359?
Just want to make sure my being invited isn't an oversight. If it's cool, I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge

Not an oversight; I'm inviting very specific people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Thorburn
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 02 BGG poster
I haven't been on stage since we split up, but I'm totally down for a reunion tour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurianna
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cat loverMicrobadge: This is so exciting! I've never been so excited! Well, except for that time when I went "Oh my gosh, I'm a microbadge!", but I mean, really, who can top that?!Microbadge: Rose-Hulman Institute of TechnologyMicrobadge: St. Louis Cardinals fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
Jasperhawk wrote:

Not an oversight; I'm inviting very specific people.
Well warm fuzzies then!!
Nice to see some familiar faces (avatars??)

I'm obviously in.
Very intrigued with staggered loyalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurianna
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm so insanely slow. I totally didn't realize this was a Flawed Creations reunion. Now I want to go back and reread that game. If I recall the humans were about to die but got stuck in limbo instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bridget Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play the healer!Microbadge: I'm a gut player!Microbadge: I Hate Reading RulesMicrobadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: Nothing like warming your toes in front of the fire!
Jimmythejet wrote:
I haven't been on stage since we split up, but I'm totally down for a reunion tour.
Ditto!!

Thank you Jasperhawk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
malcolm reynolds
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Gaia Project fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Apocrypha Adventure Card Game fan
Woo! I'm in!

Any word on what happened to Eunomiac?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: I play with Yellow!Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Baltimore Orioles fan
Hey, I'm definitely in! Thanks for putting the game together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge

Okay, poll's up. The house rules posts are ~95% done, there might be some adjustment to the Pursuit Marker and I might be able to toss in a Flaw or two that I've come up with recently. Otherwise, please make a close read of everything and ask any questions/pick any nits you might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurianna
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Oh man... I went back and re-read v49... I was thinking that humans were totally going to lose but that one was still anybody's game. Kinda sad.
There's no chance of anyone trying to finish that game is there? I wonder how the skill check would have gone down and what D'Anna's agenda was?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasperhawk wrote:
We'll be using the following Cylon Leader Agendas:
Prove Their Worth - Humans Win, and at least 7 raptors/vipers are damaged or destroyed AND 3 or more Galactica/Pegasus locations are damaged. (Pegasus being destroyed counts.)
Convert the Infidels - Human Win, and the resource dials total 12 or lower.
Guide Them to Destiny - Humans Win, and Morale and Population are within 2 of each other.
Grant Mercy - Humans Win, and Food or Population is at 2 or lower.
The Illusion of Hope - Cylons Win, and 7 or more units of distance have been traveled AND Morale is 2 or higher.
The Enemy Within - Cylons Win, and you are Infiltrating and not in the Brig.
I think there's a problem with the proposed agendas, because I see no sensible reason for a prohuman CL to infiltrate. This means as soon as the CL infiltrates the humans immediately know that he is hostile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Not true: a prohuman CL can help the humans better on Galactica than on the Cylon locations.

But The Enemy Within was tested twice and found to be pretty broken (not for the CL, who has to try hard to win, but for the humans, who get shafted regardless whether the CL gets to win or not). I suggest revising that Agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurianna
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Spamming Caprica for jump preps is good for humans. But sometimes cylon activations are not the worst thing humans face. Infiltrating cylon leaders can repair, possibly XO people, possibly be XOd if they are trust worthy, contribute more to skill checks, and play interrupts (which can be a huge help).
Having access to FTL and Communications also gives the leader more control over population if he needs to drop it quickly.

So I think it's situational. Sometimes action optimization + crisis help > having less cylon ship activations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I just wanted to point out that there's no friendly Agenda which explicitly encourages infiltration to give a hostile CL an excuse to do so. But probably you're right and this is just not necessary. Please apologize the interference with your game preparations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge

Okay, so there's been enough response that I'm pretty sure this will be a 5-player trip with both expansions to Kobol, with the Pursuit variant listed above. Flaws and other variants are split, though. Not sure who hasn't voted yet, but it looks like you'll have the decision on what we do for those.

This also means I don't need to worry about a potential balance issue with CL Agendas, which is pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge

And that's all 5 votes. 5-Player BPX to Kobol, using Cylon Pursuit, Flaws, Final Five, Staggered Loyalty, and Treacherous Destiny - so basically a rehash of 56, but without a Cylon Leader. So let's boot up that character selection process!
Character Selection wrote:

Character Selection

cal2cool4u -
Jimmythejet -
Aurianna -
Cadane -
Khaaaaan -

cal2cool4u, as first Player you have the choice of:

From gallery of Eunomiac
From gallery of ColtsFan76
Board Game: Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Exodus Expansion
From gallery of Eunomiac

From gallery of Eunomiac
From gallery of Eunomiac
From gallery of Eunomiac
From gallery of Eunomiac

From gallery of Eunomiac
From gallery of Eunomiac

From gallery of Eunomiac
From gallery of Eunomiac

Collective Skill Set:

| 0 Politics
| 0 Leadership
| 0 Tactics
| 0 Piloting
| 0 Engineering
| 0 Treachery

A note on the Daybreak characters: absent info from FFG, I'm going to use the lines of succession from Revelations with the following modifications: Hoshi is above Apollo in line for the Admiralty. Anders is above Starbuck in line for the Presidency (this was a change from FFG's rules, I'm just reverting it). Cottle is above Anders in line for the Admiralty, above Zarek in line for CAG, and above Hoshi in line for the Presidency.

I'm considering making a change to Political Prowess to bring it back up from its rather nerfed state now, namely changing it to read "Play after another player Activates a Location to trigger a Skill Check. Do not make a skill check; instead, it automatically passes or fails (your choice)." Thoughts? It requires collaboration - you can't Airlock someone with impunity anymore, but you still get the benefit of skipping the Skill Check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge

Oh, I almost forgot. My wife convinced me earlier this week that my lack of work over the holiday means it's time to go camping. If we get everything squared away before mid-day tomorrow, I might have the whole thing booted up. But I probably won't. Don't know when we plan to come home, but assume that the game's not going to start in earnest until Sunday evening. So there's no time pressure on character selection. If you've got questions you need answered before you make your choices, perfect way to waste some time productively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: I play with Yellow!Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Baltimore Orioles fan

I'm going to try out Doc Cottle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Thorburn
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 02 BGG poster

I hardly ever play as a pilot, so I'll give Hot Dog a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [29] |