Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilona
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

A friend and i found out tonight that there is a fault in the translation of the card "Stonemason"

you can see the fault on the picture next:

On the english card under the row the cards tells you to pick 2 action cards, on the dutch version they forgot the word "Action".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not really surprised by this, having seen for myself (similar) errors in Dutch Dark Ages. Question: in this case, does the rulebook get it right, or does it also omit the "Action" part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilona
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
In the rulebook they describe it the right way, and shit then i have to search what was wrong in dark ages since i didn't knew About mistakes there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urchin for example: Error in Dutch translation - Urchin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
missiloon wrote:
Hi there,

A friend and i found out tonight that there is a fault in the translation of the card "Stonemason"

On the english card under the row the cards tells you to pick 2 action cards, on the dutch version they forgot the word "Action".

we always use the English set of rules as the truth.

On a related or totally different point, depending on how you see it; do you know where in Nederland I can buy "de gilden"?
We're off to Utrecht then Nijmegen (de Vierdaagse) in the next few weeks and would be keen to get a Dutch language set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a big fault. Any chance they will fix this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an overview of other Dutch translation errors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jann Beckers
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a bummer, and a big turn-off for me.

Actually, I am surprised that something like this can happen. You know you are going to publish this game where the wordings on the cards are the single most essential element of the rules, and still you manage to let something like this slip by?

I mean: it's not like a SECOND review by a DIFFERENT person is going to endanger your publication date that much.

It's just, being a perfectionist myself, I can get angry with such "easy" mistakes :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
TrevorDay wrote:
missiloon wrote:
Hi there,

we always use the English set of rules as the truth.

On a related or totally different point, depending on how you see it; do you know where in Nederland I can buy "de gilden"?
We're off to Utrecht then Nijmegen (de Vierdaagse) in the next few weeks and would be keen to get a Dutch language set.
If it is in stores already, you should be able to get it in Utrecht. For instance at NeverNeverLand, Oudegracht 202 http://www.bordspellen.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
missiloon wrote:
In the rulebook they describe it the right way, and shit then i have to search what was wrong in dark ages since i didn't knew About mistakes there.
Urchin has +1 card, +1 buy (should be +1 card, +1 action, rulebook has it right), Madman has "you may return", the rulebook (correctly) says returning is compulsory, and I thought there was a third mistake, but I can't seem to find it and I don't have my copy with me for the weekend anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilona
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RenevB wrote:
missiloon wrote:
Urchin has +1 card, +1 buy (should be +1 card, +1 action, rulebook has it right), Madman has "you may return", the rulebook (correctly) says returning is compulsory, and I thought there was a third mistake, but I can't seem to find it and I don't have my copy with me for the weekend anyway.
The other one is the rogue, but i cant remind atm what was wrong with it and what should it be, but I made a note and putted it with the cards in my copy to remember it's wrong and play it the right way next time. But I agree with Jann, it's make me a bit angry also, it's that i'm on forums like this that i can find out stuff like this, but the cards just should be right and should be triple checked before printed :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

If it is in stores already, you should be able to get it in Utrecht. For instance at NeverNeverLand, Oudegracht 202 http://www.bordspellen.com/

Thanks for that ... I think that's where we bought 'Intrigue' last summer ... We bought 'Seaside' in a shop in Nijmegen ... also last summer and would you believe ... the German set of Prosperity in another shop in Utrecht ... Also summer 2012.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
missiloon wrote:
RenevB wrote:
missiloon wrote:
The other one is the rogue, but i cant remind atm what was wrong with it and what should it be, but I made a note and putted it with the cards in my copy to remember it's wrong and play it the right way next time. But I agree with Jann, it's make me a bit angry also, it's that i'm on forums like this that i can find out stuff like this, but the cards just should be right and should be triple checked before printed
To put a positive spin on the situation ... Perhaps the publishers might do a special run of the card in question and make it freely available in exchange for a set of the incorrect cards ... 11 for 11 including the random selector card with blue back.

The same could be for the other ones in error ... Depending on how serious.

It would also be good pr.

Whatever, I shall just use the English rules as the true and valid/geldig ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a massive error. With $20 on hand and just one extra buy, that would allow you to gain 4 provinces via Stonemason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorDay wrote:
To put a positive spin on the situation ... Perhaps the publishers might do a special run of the card in question and make it freely available in exchange for a set of the incorrect cards ... 11 for 11 including the random selector card with blue back.
I doubt they will do that, but it would make my day/week/month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
TrevorDay wrote:
I doubt they will do that, but it would make my day/week/month.
Mischien schrijf ik een brief ... Ik kan op z'n minst, vragen! Maar, eerst moet ik 'de gilden' kopen ... Dat heb ik nog niet gedaan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilona
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ik heb ze gemaild over steenhouwer, maar toen wist ik nog niet hoeveel kaarten er drukfouten hadden -_- maar nee ik ben bang dat 999 games ze niet gaat vervangen.

Ik ga de volgende keer bij een vertaalt spel toch nog wel even extra nadenken of ik de vertaalde versie koop, of toch het origineel :( Het is zo fijn om spellen gewoon in je eigen taal te spelen en met iedereen te kunnen spelen, maar niet als er dit soort zeer grote fouten in zitten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will buy Guilds, and I will play with the correct rules. Does anyone have an elegant solution to fix the errors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
I will buy Guilds, and I will play with the correct rules. Does anyone have an elegant solution to fix the errors?
Further to the positive spin, about which I wrote earlier: perhaps the publisher could sell (for a token fee) a corrected set of cards and package it with a promo such as black market or warlled village the it might be a bit of a win-win. Just a thought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorDay wrote:
Seabie wrote:
Further to the positive spin, about which I wrote earlier: perhaps the publisher could sell (for a token fee) a corrected set of cards and package it with a promo such as black market or warlled village the it might be a bit of a win-win. Just a thought!
I would love that option, but I was thinking more along the lines of a home-brew option. I hate to write on my cards, and I guess some of you don't like that as well, so I wonder how you ensure you will play with the correct rules. Do you have a sheet at hand with the corrections? Or a different solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
missiloon wrote:
RenevB wrote:
missiloon wrote:
The other one is the rogue, but i cant remind atm what was wrong with it and what should it be, but I made a note and putted it with the cards in my copy to remember it's wrong and play it the right way next time. But I agree with Jann, it's make me a bit angry also, it's that i'm on forums like this that i can find out stuff like this, but the cards just should be right and should be triple checked before printed
And right now I had the option to check. Rogue's attack part affects "every player", but again, the rulebook gets it right ("every other player" of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilona
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the reaction from 999 games.... they only change it in the future, they wont help me and claim everything is fine because tjthe right version is discripted in the rulebook -_-... I though it was a cardgame... but i guess i made a mistake by thinking that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jann Beckers
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
missiloon wrote:
Got the reaction from 999 games.... they only change it in the future, they wont help me and claim everything is fine because tjthe right version is discripted in the rulebook -_-... I though it was a cardgame... but i guess i made a mistake by thinking that.
Then I suggest they publish a new version of Monopoly. Only now the board tells you to take money each time you pass "free parking".

But wait! The rulebook clearly says that you get money when you pass START. So OK, never mind what the board says!

Jeeez, kind of an easy-damn-we-know-we-made-a-mistake-but-hey-we-don't-want-to-bear-the-consequences reaction...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls