GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,283 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Fading Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Routing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Dessmark
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some questions all concering routing:

Do [9.8.3] Hazardous Retreat Path #1 - Enemy ZOCs have priority over [9.8.5] Friendly Units? That is, must you suffer a hazardous retreat when the other option would take the unit through a friendly unit?

In [9.8.6] Retreat Direction Priority it says: "...you must Retreat your units in such a way that, with each hex they Retreat, they move closer to a friendly LOC hex...". What if you can't, must you then move to a hex that is at the same distance to the LOC or are you free to move even further from the LOC if there is a choice? (and has this anything to do with the zig-zag mentioned in [9.8.7])

During the combat phase, when my unit as adjacent to a routed enemy unit my unit is not forced to attack as the routed unit has no ZOC. But what if the unit is next to a routed and a non-routed unit? In that case my unit is in an EZOC and must attack. But must it attack the routed unit as well? [9.1.1] Attacker’s Prerogative seems to say so: "B) all enemy units in your friendly ZOCs are, themselves, attacked" since the rules now refers to my ZOC but the rule refers to 9.2.1 which says: "When one of your units is in the ZOCs of more than one enemy unit, it must attack all of those enemy units that are not designated to battle some other friendly unit during that Combat Phase" again refering to EZOC leaving me confused...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dessmark wrote:
Do [9.8.3] Hazardous Retreat Path #1 - Enemy ZOCs have priority over [9.8.5] Friendly Units? That is, must you suffer a hazardous retreat when the other option would take the unit through a friendly unit?

Correct. Trying to "avoid" Hazardous retreat checks doesn't really factor into calculating retreat paths.

dessmark wrote:
In [9.8.6] Retreat Direction Priority it says: "...you must Retreat your units in such a way that, with each hex they Retreat, they move closer to a friendly LOC hex...". What if you can't, must you then move to a hex that is at the same distance to the LOC or are you free to move even further from the LOC if there is a choice? (and has this anything to do with the zig-zag mentioned in [9.8.7])

The intent here is that IF you have an option of where to retreat, you must move closer to your LOC. If you can't retreat so that you're moving closer to your LOC (presumably because of terrain or an enemy unit occupying the "closer" hex) then you do so in such a way that you meet the other priorities for retreating. In other words, if the only available hex to retreat to takes you further away from your LOC, that's fine -- you head in that direction. But again, you CAN'T use trying to avoid Hazardous checks as an "excuse" for not moving closer towards the LOC.

dessmark wrote:
During the combat phase, when my unit as adjacent to a routed enemy unit my unit is not forced to attack as the routed unit has no ZOC. But what if the unit is next to a routed and a non-routed unit? In that case my unit is in an EZOC and must attack. But must it attack the routed unit as well? [9.1.1] Attacker’s Prerogative seems to say so: "B) all enemy units in your friendly ZOCs are, themselves, attacked" since the rules now refers to my ZOC but the rule refers to 9.2.1 which says: "When one of your units is in the ZOCs of more than one enemy unit, it must attack all of those enemy units that are not designated to battle some other friendly unit during that Combat Phase" again refering to EZOC leaving me confused...

You're not REQUIRED to attack the Routed enemy unit (since it doesn't exert a ZOC into your unit's hex), but you may still choose to do so if you wish. However, you're still going to have to attack the non-Routed enemy unit regardless.

Hope that clears things up.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.