The Resistance» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Revealing your fail/success to another spy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Conkin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is it a legal maneuver to show your success/fail vote to another spy on a mission with two spies? I didn't see anything about it in the rules, but I'd like to get your opinion on whether or not it's fair or cheating. I kind of think it's a fair move. Risky for the spies, but fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Yeah if you can get away with it I guess. But why show it?

Just say, "this is a pass" to indicate that the other guy fails it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by showing it?

If you mean putting the fail/success card in in a way which lets the other spy(ies) see what you're doing, absolutely no, mission cards are selected in secret for everyone. Imagine if Resistance/Merlin did the same thing, flashing their pass off to other people.

If you mean indicating through signals, yes, that's allowed. Others might see it and call you out, so be ready to bluff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Also it isn't a fail vote, it's a fail submission. Don't confuse things by calling it a vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

Yeah. As Rebel I'm submitting all my cards face up from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I teach this game, I ask people to be discrete, and also not to attempt to figure things out based on game mechanisms. Its no fun to sneak and look at someone's role card, it's not fun listen for spies during the spy reveal page. That's like knocking someone's bishop or knight over in chess because you are bigger and can beat it up.

As far as this applies to the spies sharing info: I think not. I found out a guy who was a spy passing pass/fail cards to another spy (both were on the mission) and he gave the other spy 2 fail cards. That sort of thing (or your example) may or may not be considered cheating by you all, but to me that ruins the whole point of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Well the way I envisioned the OP's question was...let's say a spy hands his fellow spy the pass and fail cards. The spybud takes them and points to the fail card, then submits the fail card face down.

But again, I'm just saying, there are less risky ways to accomplish the same thing, like saying, "This is a pass" when you submit your card. Then act stupid when a rebel calls you out on it. This works once or twice, typically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostbusterbob wrote:
Whenever I teach this game, I ask people to be discrete, and also not to attempt to figure things out based on game mechanisms. Its no fun to sneak and look at someone's role card, it's not fun listen for spies during the spy reveal page. That's like knocking someone's bishop or knight over in chess because you are bigger and can beat it up.

As far as this applies to the spies sharing info: I think not. I found out a guy who was a spy passing pass/fail cards to another spy (both were on the mission) and he gave the other spy 2 fail cards. That sort of thing (or your example) may or may not be considered cheating by you all, but to me that ruins the whole point of the game.

Any deviation from procedure needs to be dealt with - ie, that guy should announce he's been given two fail cards and needs a pass, or else he is cheating as well. Even so, he'll still get the hint - it's just against the spirit of the game to communicate that way, even though I can't call it 'cheating' if they roll it back and give him a pass/fail set and then he still knows he's supposed to play fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's an odd mixture of mechanics where you need to support the game's backbone by not performing sleight-of-hand or allowing secrets to be leaked, and free-flowing conversation where anything can be said.

It's fine to deduce whatever you can from people's body-language, mannerisms, statements, etc, but not from handing around mission cards or keeping track of who played which card as the mission cards are shuffled or similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Conkin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Jythier wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Well the way I envisioned the OP's question was...let's say a spy hands his fellow spy the pass and fail cards. The spybud takes them and points to the fail card, then submits the fail card face down.

But again, I'm just saying, there are less risky ways to accomplish the same thing, like saying, "This is a pass" when you submit your card. Then act stupid when a rebel calls you out on it. This works once or twice, typically.

This is essentially what I'm poking at. The problem in my group is that we've played it so many times that *any* attempt to publicly disclose what you're voting will be called out. In one game, myself (spy) and another spy were sitting next to each other. She chose her card and very briefly flashed it in my direction before she submitted the Fail. I, of course, then submitted a pass so that we still failed the mission but two spies were not outed. After reading these comments I'm leaning towards it being unfair. Part of me wanted to give the spies more room to play with the rules as they are taking a huge risk of being caught, something that you cannot say for resistance members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah if you're worried about this then just come up with a better scheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm going to say it's not legal to show your cards to any other players. It would be the same as slipping someone else a peek at your resistance loyalty card.

As for dealing with not letting others see the cards being played, I always pass out mission cards face-up so everyone sees there's one pass and one fail, always ask the players to put their cards under the table to pick which one to use, and always shuffle the returned mission cards under the table before passing them to a second player to do the same, while making a point to not look at the cards at all while shuffling them. That should make it nearly impossible for anyone to track the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not allowed to reveal your mission success/fail or your loyalty card. Spies need to find a way to communicate who will fail the mission. However, that can be part of the fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.