1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Poll: The Fastest Way to Learn a New Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Being 1 of only 2 geeks in the group, I find myself more on the teaching end than the receiving end. BGG is an amazing resource for me to research and learn new games. What are the most effective ways for you to pick up new game rules?

Poll
For me, the most effective way/s to learn a new game is/ are:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Reading the rule book
50.8% 94
Attending playthrough sessions at conventions/ FLGS
8.1% 15
Learning from a friend
51.9% 96
Watching videos online
38.9% 72
Reading reviews online
2.7% 5
Voters 185
This poll is now closed.   185 answers
Poll created by zombie_homer
Closes: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:00 am

For me, online videos have become a valuable and indispensable way to learn a new game. Most are so well done that after watching them, we can jump into playing the game with just a couple of referencing the rule book.

Do share what worked or didn't work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
Rule book takes too long. Playthrough sessions might skip past info just to make sure the play time is on the lower side. Videos you are limited to what is shown. Reviews hardly ever really teach you the game. Learning from a friend is really the best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate watching videos to learn anything, because the pacing is fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch a video then read the rulebook. My wife prefers that order flipped but I do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A friend who legitimately understands both the rules AND your common gaming experience can teach you a game in about a third of the time as it would take to read the rules or watch a video. Rulebooks and videos are overloaded, of necessity, with administrative and procedural issues unrelated to gameplay which a good rule explainer can gloss over quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Geek friends are nice to have! laugh

I'm trying to be the teaching friend you guys are talking about, so I gotta learn the rules or else no one moves on to new games! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game for me. Some I read, some I watch, some I read and watch. On occasion I run into one where I read the rules, watch it played, reach out to people on forums for clarifications, read rules again, watch it played again, and STILL don't get it lol. The most recent example would for me would be Level 7 escape. Games looks good and I am intrigued by the theme however there are still some rules that are unclear and leave me scratching my head. I want to like this game though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
Microbadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: TurtleCON Attendee
Seems to really depend on the person. For me, it's the rule book, hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
We had 3 players attempting to learn 7 Wonders from the rule book and failed miserably... modest
We turned to videos and 2 of us then became the 'friends who could teach others'. We have since taught the game to 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will either have someone teach me, whether it be a friend or a video... and then I will read the rules, just to double check and make sure I fully understand things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watchitplayed for sure. But I always read the rule books of games I already know the rules to just for something to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, music, cigar, and some booze to help it all sink in.
At least with anything of moderate complexity or higher.

I'm fine just cracking open a euro or simple wargame,
and explaining the rules as I go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Bryan L wrote:
Watchitplayed for sure.
Ya! Good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the depth of the game and rulebook. Mage Knight Board Game for example has 2 rulebooks that are 20 pages each with tiny fonts. I feel as though I'm still learning the game even after several play throughs. My process for this game was to skim the walkthrough book, and then watch some videos, before going back to the walkthrough book. This allowed me to better visualize and better understand what was being explained in the book. I find that by going between the two, back and forth, works best for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tex
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I prefer to read the rulebook. Never understood how some people can just flat out refuse to look at them. When I teach a game I tend to have the new player go last and have everyone talk through their move in detail. Sometimes though, it would save a lot of headaches if people glanced at the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
diogenes000 wrote:
When I bring home a new game I like to read the rules, set it up, and play it against myself, all sort of simultaneously.
I do this too. I find it a good way to get a feel of the game's mechanics. i feel it allows me to teach the game better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me a combination of reading the rulebook and watching a video/getting the game explained by a gaming buddy works best.

In my experience the latter two options help to get going faster, but to understand/figure out a game completely reading the rulebook is imperative for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
surprise

nooooooooo! then there'll be no need for BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian AssaultMarine
Poland
flag msg tools
Yeah and then take any recent Euro game look at it with crazy eyes and say:

-THERE IS NO DICE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magicman6173 wrote:
Depends on the game for me. Some I read, some I watch, some I read and watch. On occasion I run into one where I read the rules, watch it played, reach out to people on forums for clarifications, read rules again, watch it played again, and STILL don't get it lol. The most recent example would for me would be Level 7 escape. Games looks good and I am intrigued by the theme however there are still some rules that are unclear and leave me scratching my head. I want to like this game though!
AH Level 7 the game that could have been. The rulebook is horrendous and you are constantly flicking back and forth while playing to check things the first couple of games. Once you have it understood though it's pretty decent but it still feels like it's missing something, namely immersion in the theme I think. Some artwork on the cards would have been great or some flavour text. Anything to make it more thematic and actually feel like a survival horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I'm the one who needs to explain the game, therefore learning by reading the rulebook is a must.
If I'd have the possibility to learn new games otherwise, I'd choose to learn it from a friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having someone teach the game at the start and then playing it through is always the fastest way to learn, you will have played a game in a relatively regular length of time compared to reading rules/videos and trying to run through yourself. The having to refer to rules when you have a question is what slows it down. Playing with an expert is always quicker, but of course, someone has to learn it for the first time so this is not always an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello I Am Jim
badge
Yo
mbmbmbmbmb
I learn best by seeing it played and being hands on. That being said I love the WatchItPlayed series on youtube. Those videos single handedly taught me how to play Mice and Mystics, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Jaipur, 7 Wonders, and Puzzle Strike. Watching someone explain the rules as they are doing the moves and motions is probably the best way to understand what is going on and why. Most people are visual so why not watch a visual rules explanation and run through?

If I buy a game that I see is covered on their channel I watch those videos before the game arrives so that I can just jump straight into the game or so I can teach it faster to other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because we're talking 'Fastest' here I've explicitly not voted for rulebook, and I'm quite surprised so many have.

The fastest for me is to have a friend go through the game with me or attend a playthrough somewhere (Pretty similar things tbh). I usually get a game within 1 or 2 rounds when someone is offering a guiding hand. It can be quite a bad method with some people who try to catch every last thing before you start...I get that they want to be complete, but there's a time limit before attention drops and you miss all the 'Oh and there's this' rules that're bought up - Might as well just get into the game and have someone act as a guide! =)

Video reviews do a pretty good job if I can convince myself to pay attention, although I must admit that can be an issue, I find it quite difficult to sit watching a video without getting distracted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |