Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After trying a bunch of different ideas, I've come up with an easy fix for what my group has dubbed the "zero problem" or the fact that a zero is crippled by 1 damage.

A plane is considered crippled if it has 1 damage remaining and has taken at least 2 damage.

Thematically a plane with only 2 damage will crash/explode at the point a 3 damage plane would be crippled and possibly make it home. Its made the zero a bit more competitive in our games.

Thoughts? If anyone tries this please let me know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
big__rhino wrote:
After trying a bunch of different ideas, I've come up with an easy fix for what my group has dubbed the "zero problem" or the fact that a zero is crippled by 1 damage.

A plane is considered crippled if it has 1 damage remaining and has taken at least 2 damage.

Thematically a plane with only 2 damage will crash/explode at the point a 3 damage plane would be crippled and possibly make it home. Its made the zero a bit more competitive in our games.

Thoughts? If anyone tries this please let me know how it goes.
What we find that works very well is to just give the Zero 3 hits like all the other aircraft in the game that don't have 4. The low Armor of 2 and the low Vital of 5 more than take care of the fragility of the Zero.

But I like your idea "A plane is considered crippled if it has 1 damage remaining and has taken at least 2 damage." because then the Zero can never become crippled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
Microbadge: Robin loverMicrobadge: GCL Beehive--BuzzworthyMicrobadge: I'm a member of the BGG Cricket Guild!Microbadge: Star Wars fan - Princess LeiaMicrobadge: Alexander the Great enthusiast
Nice idea.

The zeros are just too fragile in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ray. I toyed with the idea of giving the zero 3 hits and its nearly the same thing as what I proposed. My goal was to come up with something that didn't require card errata and that's ultimately why I ended up going with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muzfish4, I agree, the Zero are just too fragile. Even with the 3 hits, they are still fragile, but just not overly so.

Big_rhino, to be honest, we never changed our cards (or any errata). We just all play that the Zero has three hits, and that's it. But I guess we could update our cards, but we haven't found it necessary. Also, it was just something we wanted to try, but it just stuck and we haven't gone back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally makes sense, Ray. I meant that I don't care for having to tell people that the card has been changed. I've taught the game to over a dozen people now and hate explaining the rules and ending with changes to the cards. I feel like it breaks the initial trust of the rules. You always get the same look, the "If this game is so great why did you have to change the cards?" look. The rule I use sounds like it came from the book and doesn't rock the boat. I GM a ton of games and I like rules that allow me to be sneakyninja

I think the zero is balanced and historically accurate. I'm an extreme minority, like possibly the only A&A player that feels that way. If you've played Zulus on the Ramparts! the rule book has a great saying, "Rourke's Drift Syndrome" or fun to read about and crap to play. Zeros may fall into this category. They require expert pilots to be effective.

Anyway adopting a small change like what you and I have done easily levels the playing field a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good point about teaching new players.

One day we decided to try and give the Zero three hits, and we haven't gone back. Why? I guess because even with three hits, the Zero is still fragile. With an armor of two, they almost always take damage, and with a vital of 5, they go "POOF!" a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good for the Zero but it would totally overpower my Ishak's squad of 5 for 100 points.

I think the Zero just needs a special ability like:
- Resilient: This aircraft cannot be crippled.

Which is essentially the same as the "Absorb Punishment" ability "This aircraft ignores all penalties resulting from becoming crippled."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, for point games, you will need to add a few points to the cost of the Zero to compensate for the 3 hits. Obviously it can't cost the same if it has 3 hits. But how much more to add to the cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
Microbadge: Moby Dick fanMicrobadge: Ludwig van Beethoven fanMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Horse & Musket fanMicrobadge: Civil Wargamer - Beauregard
RayGuns wrote:
Oh, for point games, you will need to add a few points to the cost of the Zero to compensate for the 3 hits. Obviously it can't cost the same if it has 3 hits. But how much more to add to the cost?
No need to. It is over-priced even with 3 Hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Microbadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Mustangs fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Crusade and Revolution: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939 fan
Restricting the firing arcs is another option. I picked up "Road to Rabaul" today--the optional rule is introduced for Check Your 6! in order make Japanese fighters more survivable. For AAAF, aircraft would fire at the three hexes directly in front. That makes for fewer shots overall, and the Zero can utilize its maneuverability to steer clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
Microbadge: Moby Dick fanMicrobadge: Ludwig van Beethoven fanMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Horse & Musket fanMicrobadge: Civil Wargamer - Beauregard
red_herring wrote:
Restricting the firing arcs is another option. I picked up "Road to Rabaul" today--the optional rule is introduced for Check Your 6! in order make Japanese fighters more survivable. For AAAF, aircraft would fire at the three hexes directly in front. That makes for fewer shots overall, and the Zero can utilize its maneuverability to steer clear.
Can you give more details on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Microbadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Mustangs fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Crusade and Revolution: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939 fan
Essentially, this means that range 1, 2, and 3 shots are those three hexes in a straight line extending from the nose of the plane (vice the seven hexes in the standard AAAF firing arc). I played around with it a little last night, but it'll take a few sessions against an opponent to determine whether it's enough to fix the Zero. Will post play test results soon.

phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
red_herring wrote:
Essentially, this means that range 1, 2, and 3 shots are those three hexes in a straight line extending from the nose of the plane (vice the seven hexes in the standard AAAF firing arc). I played around with it a little last night, but it'll take a few sessions against an opponent to determine whether it's enough to fix the Zero. Will post play test results soon.

phil
Thanks Phil, keep us posted. I'll post my fixes if they work on this end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls