Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Microbadge: I like learning games more than winning them!Microbadge: TraderMicrobadge: Type O Negative fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: 2-player Games fan
What is the most shocking trade you have ever made? Did you score something amazing for very little? What about the other way around, have you ever giving something up for next to nothing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Microbadge: I aspire to Curmudgeon Level EricMicrobadge: I love Canada!Microbadge: In MemoriamMicrobadge: I love Mexico!Microbadge: I support the Women and Gaming community
I bought a copy of Stonewall in the Valley on eBay and found two complete copies of the game's contents inside the single box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
Microbadge: I purchased 1 microbadge in a single day.
I'm pretty bad at sniffing out good deals. I did once score a near mint copy of Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness that was in amongst a bunch of old gaming magazines in a railway model shop for 99p (they seem like they go for about £30-60 on eBay, depending on condition). I also bought a couple copies of Blood Bowl (Second Edition) (the one with the textured polystyrene pitch) for a couple of quid from the GWHQ store when they were clearing out their old stock once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BGG is my FacebookMicrobadge: BloggerMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Copper GeeklisterMicrobadge: Deadpool fan
Is this thread just here to mock me?!! laugh

Tired of no responses to your trade offers? Vent here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I like learning games more than winning them!Microbadge: TraderMicrobadge: Type O Negative fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: 2-player Games fan
I traded for King of Tokyo a while back and to my surprise it came with the promo cards and character as well. I'm so lucky because they are fetching a pretty penny. Was a good deal for me because I trade a clearance z-man game I got for $7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: New York Yankees fanMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Autism AcceptanceMicrobadge: Dark Domains fan
I got my copy of Railways of the World for about 100 Pez cards.

I didn't even have to pay shipping for that huge game because it was a local trade at Origins that a buddy of mine took care of for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Microbadge: I aspire to Curmudgeon Level EricMicrobadge: I love Canada!Microbadge: In MemoriamMicrobadge: I love Mexico!Microbadge: I support the Women and Gaming community
sigtaulefty wrote:
It's funny; I was just reading a post on pezcardgeek.com where a guy was bragging about getting 100 valuable cards for one lousy board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault - Thorns of the BriarqueenMicrobadge: Ogre - Designer's Edition - OwnerMicrobadge: Rebuilding the Infinity EngineMicrobadge: Omen: A Reign of War fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - Dis
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but here's my story.

A while back, I was trying very hard to get a copy of the 1st edition of Omen: A Reign of War. Small Box Games was still several months away from even announcing the KS for 2nd edition, and all I could find were rabidly good reviews. I made a post in the game's forums about looking for a trade, and got a response within a couple of hours. A fan of the game told me that he loved it so much, he was willing to send me an extra copy for free, just to 'spread the good word'. He even covered shipping. I received it within a week, and it truly was as good as I had heard. I eventually was able to get a copy of the tricked-out KS edition, but I still have that vhs case copy.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ra fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Tides of Madness fanMicrobadge: Amun-Re fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride fan
My trade stories are always the same:

By the time I realize how much it cost to ship the game I am trading, I could have just bought the game I am trading for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ra fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Tides of Madness fanMicrobadge: Amun-Re fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride fan
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I traded for King of Tokyo a while back and to my surprise it came with the promo cards and character as well. I'm so lucky because they are fetching a pretty penny. Was a good deal for me because I trade a clearance z-man game I got for $7.

I hope the guy on the other end of your trade isn't reading this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: New York Yankees fanMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Autism AcceptanceMicrobadge: Dark Domains fan
Eric Brosius wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:
It's funny; I was just reading a post on pezcardgeek.com where a guy was bragging about getting 100 valuable cards for one lousy board game.
I got had good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
pfctsqr wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I hope the guy on the other end of your trade isn't reading this.
I told him about it after I got the package, I offered to send some cash he didn't want anything. He simply said they were no good to him without the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
Microbadge: G. K. Chesterton fanMicrobadge: HomeschoolerMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Parent of Five Boys
I have gotten many games for net zero cost. Thinking about a geeklist.

Most recently, got a lot of Sentinels of the Multiverse plus every expansion, and some promo cards for $75 Amazon GC in a math trade. Then sold the 9 promo cards for $90 on ebay.

Did the same thing years ago with a massive lot of Heroscape. Heck I even did it December 2011 with a lot of board games....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
overtheboard wrote:
I have gotten many games for net zero cost. Thinking about a geeklist.

Most recently, got a lot of Sentinels of the Multiverse plus every expansion, and some promo cards for $75 Amazon GC in a math trade. Then sold the 9 promo cards for $90 on ebay.

Did the same thing years ago with a massive lot of Heroscape. Heck I even did it December 2011 with a lot of board games....
Yeah, I flipped some kickstarter promos from a game that more than paid for me to keep it. I also scored two copies of Eclipse from Barnes and Noble on clearance and sold one which paid for both so I basically got a copy for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Apple user
Im curious how many boardgame owners giving away their games for free to others ? surely such act of generousity are rare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
dprijadi wrote:
Im curious how many boardgame owners giving away their games for free to others ? surely such act of generousity are rare
Well it seems some fellow geeks have had some nice finds at their local goodwill/salvation army type places so I'm sure it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
Microbadge: I completed the 100 Play ChallengeMicrobadge: Futurama fanMicrobadge: I have at least 4,000 logged game plays!Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Geek of the Week
dprijadi wrote:
Stuff like this happens more than you think. Check out the Feel the Love forums some time. This community is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
Microbadge: G. K. Chesterton fanMicrobadge: HomeschoolerMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Parent of Five Boys
dprijadi wrote:
Three years running:
Thrifting for You (2013)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Blue Moon fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: I go to London on BoardMicrobadge: My Dog ate my boardgameMicrobadge: Puzzle Strike fan - I like to Combo
1. I bought a Tumblin' Dice from a US BGG user. When I opened the box, he'd very kindly included a copy of Pit and a copy of Blokus Duo without asking - both in my wishlist. Made my week

2. I traded Trajan for La Citta and Mexica. This may not seem a big deal, but Mexica is OOP and La Citta is a classic euro that was highly-rated a few years ago. Since I think Trajan is over-rated, I felt I got the best out the trade. I'm sure my trade partner thought the same

3. Someone sent me three Kosmos two-player games for free because they wanted more space for wargames! Complete star!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I just has the most insane experience so far. I messaged a user inquiring about if they were still trading a particular game. They emailed me back and said yes, that they would trade it for two promos I had. I asked: are you sure, thats not really balanced but they replied that the game was in a pile headed for the good will. I guess some people are more giving than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I pimp my gamesMicrobadge: TexasMicrobadge: Thrift King's CounsellorMicrobadge: Goodwill Outlet fanMicrobadge: Single
I make copies of out of print games from other games I thrift. Just this week I bought for 99c a card game called Big Fish, Lil Fish. I had misremembered and this stinker was ranked in the 8000's. But it had numbered cards. I took the cards numbered 1-31, added 55 small blue chips and it fit back into the tiny box with a new label for "No Thanks!". I gave it to a gaming pal that night as I already had the real game as well as a copy made from a thrifted Racko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls