1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 30min games for the family rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PeteZero PeteZero
Scotland
flag msg tools
Sometimes we just have 30-45min in the evening together as a family. And instead of slumbing on the sofa are getting out games. I introduced my boys (7,9,11) to Magic, which they like. But sometimes you want something else, or play with 3,4 or 5 players, so I was looking to get some other games which play shorter, are fun and highly re-playable.
I was thinking about getting:
Hive
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Dominion

I don't know about Summoner Wars, or is it too close to Magic?
And Race for the Galaxy looks good as well, or does it take longer?

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is an excellent choice. The first few games will probably take longer, maybe over an hour, but once you are accustomed to the flow of the game, 30 minutes for a 4 player game should be no problem. Oh, and the game is awesome, too.

Summoner Wars is like a cross between Magic and Chess. It is really simple rules-wise. A game will take somewhere between 15 and 45 minutes. You will need to have several factions in order to have replayability; the Master Set is probably your best choice. Compared to Magic, it adds the tactical movement of your units on the field, but it doesn't have as much complexity in the card abilities or synergies.

I can't really comment on the others as I haven't played them (except a few games of Race for the Galaxy against the AI, and I wasn't interested enough to try out the real game), For another, totally different suggestion: How about Dixit? I know it's a hit in many families, and pretty short, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Escape: The Curse of the Temple... 3 times in a row
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteZero wrote:
This is a nice game (for enough replayability, the expansion will be needed), but it is purely two-player (not sure if this is an issue).

Quote:
Dominion
Good game.

Quote:
It is not really that close to Magic. There are similarities (esp. the concept... two wizards battling each other with creatures and spells), but it plays quite different.

Quote:
It is a great game. Takes a while to get used to the iconography, though (starting out can get a little frustrating, if you do not understand the symbols at first - it gets all clear after a few games, though).

It takes about one hour to play.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteZero wrote:
Sometimes we just have 30-45min in the evening together as a family. And instead of slumbing on the sofa are getting out games. I introduced my boys (7,9,11) to Magic, which they like. But sometimes you want something else, or play with 3,4 or 5 players, so I was looking to get some other games which play shorter, are fun and highly re-playable.
I was thinking about getting:
Hive
Dominion

Thanks for any help!
What about Carcassonne and say possibly Smallworld and such other than Hive? They also play more players.

Dominion I think is a good option but I suppose one want expansions.

I've started to enjoy Innovation quite a bit but it's longer.

I assume Summoner wars is just fine and I don't think it's like Magic but it's normally for two players that to.

Race for the galaxy I wouldn't say play slower than Magic, at least not on two.

I wonder if Innovation may not possibly actually be more "fun" and user-friendly than Race for the galaxy. Maybe not. Both are good games. There's also Glory to Rome and that new game which is somewhat similar to Glory to Rome but supposedly play a little easier, check them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryphon Games bookshelf series is a series of small games designed to be arrayed on a bookshelf. All the games play in 30-45 minutes, and are designed to function as fillers or for social gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that Hive and Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small are two player only, so, while great games, they might not be the best fit.

Of the ones you mention, Dominion seems like the best option. Once you have the very simple actions sorted out it is a quick, easy and enjoyable play. Once you have played out the base box there are plenty of expansions, so you can also make the game more or less interactive or nasty as you wish. Only using ten Kingdom cards out of the 25 in the base box also means that you get a huge amount of replayability before you need to think about expanding it.

Be careful of Race for the Galaxy. It's a superb game, better than Dominion, I think, but the learning curve can be very steep, and it might be too much for the younger ones of your brood.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios (2-4)
Survive Escape from Atlantis (2-4)
Love Letter (2-4)
Hanabi - just played our first game and the kids loved it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're open up to other suggestions:

- * San Juan
- Archaeology: The Card Game
- Biblios
- * 7 Wonders
- Airships
- Blokus Trigon
- Felicity: The Cat in the Sack (good with 4 or 5)
- Unexpected Treasures (good with 4 and above)
- Get Bit!
- Qwirkle (highly recommended)

Games suggested are based on the time frame, 45mins or less.
* IDK if your kids could handle these games but I think they can since they can handle Magic.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Estevo
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
Berebekan Katabamba, Berebekan Katabamba, Berebekan Katabamba...... Kikerá!!!!
badge
Venha Monstro! Spadium Laser!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always look for good family games too.

Let me tell you our favourites:

- Labyrinth is an easy to teach game, plays fast, easy to find (2-4 players)

- Rise of Augustus is a new game that is receiving a lot of love in our house. It is fun and plays fast (2-6 players)

- Carcassonne is a great option. It is easy to find too (2-5 players, or 2-6 with expansion. I believe it can be played in 45 mins.

- I like Ticket to Ride: Europe either, but I think it will take a little bit more than 45 mins....

- Cartagena is a very nice little game that is very easy to teach and scales well (2-5 players).

I like to have games that play well with 2 players too, because sometimes it´s just me and my wife. I believe the games above fill the requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Jamaica is a beautiful and fun racing game your family may enjoy.

Plays in less than an hour and holds 2 to 6 players.

The theme and components make it a great family game.

Edit: I missed your criteria of something that plays shorter... In that case, I would highly +1 for Escape: The Curse of the Temple. Excellent game that can never exceed 10 mins cos it plays real time! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is a good idea if your kids are very smart for their age.
Felix the cat is also nice.

Fast Flowing Forest Fellers and Zooloretto are also quick (FFFF about 30, Zooloretto about 40 minutes), play from 2-5 player and have recently been a hit with my nephew (he's eleven).

And of course: Fauna
This is more like an animal quiz/guessing game, but always a hit with kids (and many adults, too).

Pickomino
for some quick dice fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Temple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Microbrewery beer loverMicrobadge: LutheranMicrobadge: Maracaibo fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
iadrianik wrote:
Gryphon Games bookshelf series is a series of small games designed to be arrayed on a bookshelf. All the games play in 30-45 minutes, and are designed to function as fillers or for social gaming.
Our family loves For Sale and Diamant from the Gryphon series. Both are quick to learn and work well with various numbers of players.

Other light, inexpensive games we enjoy are No Thanks! and Saboteur. Great gaming fun for very little money! And they require very little shelf space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrill Lampart
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
short games that my family enjoy...

King of Tokyo
Dixit
Castle Panic
Citadels
Saboteur
Forbidden Island

this one will be more about 70-90 minutes but it's totally worth it:

Mice and Mystics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy pick for me:

China / Web of Power

No game packs more game into a 30-minute session this this baby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Honey Badger
United States
Arvada/Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
Guildhall is a great game, with 4 players it is around 45 mins at most. Easy to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for King of Tokyo. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Dominion and King Of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
+1 for Blokus Trigon, or Gemblo, if you need a 6-player mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digter
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Biblios. I have a 9 year old and he likes it a lot

If you like Coops: Pandemic or Flash Point: Fire Rescue. maybe just a bit to long if setup is taken into account

Other coops i haven't tried: Forbidden Island, Castle Panic and Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game (great theme but i believe that it's not as streamlined as the other mentioned)

King of Tokyo is a great choice, if you dont mind player elimination. My son doesn't like the direct interaction in this game.

And if you don't mind being mean to each other: Citadels. Playing time can vary a lot but with 4 players you should be able to finish it within one hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, and King of Tokyo are all excellent and pretty quick recommendations that I will echo.

Another favorite of mine is Ra: The Dice Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PeteZero PeteZero
Scotland
flag msg tools
Uhhh, thank you. so many choices. Will definetively go for Escape: The Curse of the Temple then. And Race for the Galaxy and Dominion on my wishlist. No Thanks is already ordered as well as Citadels, as it's small and easy to pack for our holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a family playing and bonding over Escape: The Curse of the Temple. Its got that whimsey that stimulates adventure and wonder.

For some reason I am also inclined to suggest Puerto Rico (with two expansions). I would've loved playing this as a child and feeling so smart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle

It won several prizes (including bgg's best family game award), plays fast, can be teached in under a minute and is a real brain teaser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |