Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deploy then fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atila The Hun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this came up in a game and I tried to find the answer but failed. You have a platoon wanting to shoot at another platoon two hexes away. If you don't deploy you only get one shot with a plus one up die roll. But if you do deploy you get three shots at the standard D10. Got me thinking why would you only ever shoot by platoon when you could have three goes instead of one and have the ability to make your opponent draw two counters and as such destroy his platoon. Is that right or have we missed something in the rule book.

Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the specific numbers, I would not assume that the expected result with 3 shots, each with a lower probability of success, is automatically better than 1 single shot with a higher probability of success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I've played, but IIRC there is also the consideration of command. A force of 3 squads will be more expensive to activate later than a single platoon. So even if it is mathematically better, it may not be the optimal move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the 3 squads in the same hex may be more vulnerable to later attack than a single platoon in the hex.

Lots of stuff to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atila The Hun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies chaps. Some stuff there I'd not thought about. And then having re visited the rule book item 3.31 sort of turn the light on for me. We'd been playing it wrong. When a platoon had been hit for a second time we had removed it and not replaced it with two squads. Just an oversight. But that's what happens when your new to learning a system. I do love the order system in this game and the fact you can get a few orders off before the opposition sometimes gets a chance to reply. Great game. Now where are those counters I just put down again!

Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
Microbadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Weightlifting fanMicrobadge: Bacon loverMicrobadge: The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything
1. Lower firepower and a smaller die size means (far) less chance of affecting the enemy unit.

2. You may never get to your second and third shots: the opponent has the option of Return Fire on your guys immediately after your first shot.

3. Subsequent activations of those three units will cost you more initiative if they aren't in Mission Command.

4. Subsequent fire attacks by your opponent against those three units will be more likely to eliminate them outright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
1. ...smaller die size means (far) less chance of affecting the enemy unit.
Why would there be a smaller die size when using squads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HorizonMan wrote:
Chad Jensen wrote:
1. ...smaller die size means (far) less chance of affecting the enemy unit.
Why would there be a smaller die size when using squads?
Looks like that applies only to melee fire, indeed. (34.22)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah yes, thanks Russ!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide