David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Microbadge: Microbadgus Designum Ex ProfessoMicrobadge: This is the 10,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 20,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 30,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: My microbadging days are behind me - I'm just enjoying the view from here on out
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151681942480682

Please be kind.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
I would read it, but if there is one thing that I am less tolerant of than religion, it is Facebook. Well, also Pittsburgh. I almost forgot the song Red, Red Wine, I am less tolerant of that too. Let's not forget cheating. OK, it's in my top ten list of intolerance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I would read it, but if there is one thing that I am less tolerant of than religion, it is Facebook. Well, also Pittsburgh. I almost forgot the song Red, Red Wine, I am less tolerant of that too. Let's not forget cheating. OK, it's in my top ten list of intolerance.
Nobody expected that reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Microbadge: Microbadgus Designum Ex ProfessoMicrobadge: This is the 10,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 20,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 30,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: My microbadging days are behind me - I'm just enjoying the view from here on out
TheChin! wrote:
I appreciate your honesty.

It is a video, I suppose I should have mentioned that in the OP...

And it is not "preachy" -- just a great man coming to terms with end of life.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

-DK
"I know to be true true that Jesus was born", opening sentence. Sorry that sounds like preaching to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
"I know yo be ture true that Jesus was born", opening sentence. Sorry that sounds like preaching to me.
Sounds like slurred speech from a drunk to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
"I know yo be ture true that Jesus was born", opening sentence. Sorry that sounds like preaching to me.
"I know to be true that Jesus was born", opening sentence. Sorry that sounds like preaching to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Well, also Pittsburgh.
I was going to get indignant, but then I realized you are from Cleveland. Then it all made sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
slatersteven wrote:
quozl wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
"I know to be true that Jesus was born", opening sentence. Sorry that sounds like preaching to me.
I disagree with you.

He is proclaiming his own faith, not - at any point - does he begin to proselytize.

There is a difference.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
professor loves jesus - seems like hes just trying to ride on the current wave of gay-euphoria sweeping the nation~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
DKahnt wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

-DK
"I know to be true true that Jesus was born", opening sentence. Sorry that sounds like preaching to me.
It doesn't to me -- at least, not in context. If this was a message that a person just happened to make and to share with non-believers, then yes. But if it's someone coming to the end of his life it sounds more like he's expressing comfort in his faith and satisfaction in the path he's chosen for life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Microbadge: I am a Live Action Spam HunterMicrobadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Thumbs up says 'I Love You' in that icky BGG kinda way.Microbadge: Chaotic GoodMicrobadge: I love Europe
Sorry to hear this David.

I hope his belief and love in Jesus brings him some peace and happiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
quozl wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Now that sounds better! Did you give up the bottle, Slater?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
quozl wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
The existence of Jesus as a historical figure is not the most controversial of concepts and not at all limited to the religious in acceptance.
No, but going on to say that he was (for example) the redeemer of our sins is religious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
DKahnt wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

-DK
It doesn't to me -- at least, not in context. If this was a message that a person just happened to make and to share with non-believers, then yes. But if it's someone coming to the end of his life it sounds more like he's expressing comfort in his faith and satisfaction in the path he's chosen for life.
Except he has chosen to share it with everyone, including non believers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
quozl wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I disagree with you.

He is proclaiming his own faith, not - at any point - does he begin to proselytize.

There is a difference.

-DK
Actually there is not, preaching is proclaiming your faith to others.

preaching
present participle of preach (Verb)
Verb

Deliver a sermon or religious address to an assembled group of people, typically in church: "he preached to a large congregation".

Publicly proclaim or teach (a religious message or belief).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a salad, does anyone know what time it is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did modern religious folks get the idea that Jesus was poor? His father was a skilled craftsman and would have been firmly middle to upper middle class. Is it the manger story? They do know that they were in the manger because there was no room at the inn not for lack of funds right? Where does this whole poverty stricken child idea come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
11:31 in wherever BoardGameGeek registers itself.
Or not, if you customized your timezone in BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
Where did modern religious folks get the idea that Jesus was poor? His father was a skilled craftsman and would have been firmly middle to upper middle class. Is it the manger story? They do know that they were in the manger because there was no room at the inn not for lack of funds right? Where does this whole poverty stricken child idea come from?

They were poor enough early in Jesus life at least. We know this because they took a sacrifice of doves to the temple (Luke 2:24), which is what people did who couldn't afford a lamb (Leviticus 12:8).

One would assume that when the Magi showed up several months later (they weren't at the manger), their gifts significantly elevated them out of this status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
What is this, take dry humor literally day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
They were poor enough early in Jesus life at least. We know this because they took a sacrifice of doves to the temple (Luke 2:24), which is what people did who couldn't afford a lamb (Leviticus 12:8).
Maybe they were just cheapskates. Anyone who knows 'well off' people, knows that one of the main reasons they're 'well off' is because they're cheapskates*.

*This does not necessarily hold true for people who were given their wealth, e.g. the 'spoiled rich kid.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally watched the video. Thanks for sharing that, DK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Euroncrowseye wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
What is this, take dry humor literally day?
Yes. Incidentally, it's also answer rhetorical questions day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
DKahnt wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

-DK
But separation of church and state means any time anyone expresses any religious thought at all, they are preaching.

Wait... whut?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |