Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BAsic question. The game OOB is giving you a ~30 card deck. Then there's a rule about tournament decks being minimum 50.

But, say I just want to play solo (2 hands). No tournament business. What size am I allowed to build as a deck? Can I still head the original 30 minimum, or must any constructed deck be 50+ ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically nobody gives a shit about how *you* play. Usually the decks you find on the internet are created with the tournament rules in mind (= 50+ cards), but if you drop several cards from such deck, nothing happens.

If you have just the core set, you can use the 30 cards as a minimum because if you want to keep the 50+ rule, you'll have to take some crappy cards just to get to the limit. But when you have larger cardpool, using small decks (and with increased card draw), you may have easier time defeating the quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally build decks with a 50 card minimum. Even with just the core set, you should be able to make two fifty card decks, and since all you'll be up against is the core set, those decks will be powerful enough to handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sharpe
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other reason for using 50 card decks is that it provides some consistency if you want to come on here and tell everybody about your results.

If you post that you've won Escape From Dol Guldur ten times in a row everybody will bow down and worship at your feet. If it subsequently turns out you were using 17 card decks then everybody will be much less impressed.

But, as Vladimir says, if it's just you then you can do whatever makes it the most fun for you.

(OK, exaggerating for effect there. Realistically, if you post that you've won Escape From Dol Guldur ten times in a row what will actually happen is that you'll generate a long thread full of posters keen to explain to you that you must be doing it wrong )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say play with a 30 card minimum until you're finding the quests too easy, then switch to 50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this recent thread for another discussion of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:
Check out this recent thread for another discussion of this.

Good discussion over there. I was sort of hoping the community had concluded something. I mean, I think FFG should have stated something more clearly in the rulebook. Why?

As the other thread brought up, it's about:

a) what were the scenarios designed against? IOW the difficulty level, relates to a starter deck? a tournament deck? other?
b) consistency across the community. I mean look, every game out there, when played in your own game group of course can turn into anything. I can play stone age and try to do dominoes with the resources if I want, but it doesn't do the community any good to then answer irrelevant questions I might have, or care about my game...

I seem to be concluding this, as a new player:

a) Don't sweat the actual number count (in contrast to say Dungeon Command, where the rules say what your # of cards is at all times)
b) Have fun w/ the core set being < 50 while you play a single sphere, since you can't get much higher anyways
c) Eventually as you get more cards try and aim for the 50ish target as the only other common target amongst players, and because over time you'll find that 30 reduces the difficulty too much

Works for me, for now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.