Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunchtime at work, and there were four of us. That's pretty rare, so we took advantage of the opportunity to get a four-player-only game to the table. The choice was Twilight. The players were Mark and Carrie vs. Ed and me. It was a first time playing for all of us.

It took a little while to even start to get the hang of how to play the game. Asking someone else to play a card for you? Very odd. I think also that the Purgatory cards were a bit of a surprise. They came out in consecutive tricks, meaning that there were 12 cards up for grabs after one trick. Ed and I took that, and pretty nearly all the other tricks as well, scoring 276 to 27 in the first hand alone. In the next two hands both teams got their feet under them. There was a more concerted effort to try to let the opponents take their sanctuaries, and as a result scores were greatly reduced. There was also a bit more common sense regarding having an opponent play for you. Here's a hint: If you play third to the trick, don't have your left hand play for you. He or she will do so, and then play their own card to guarantee that they'll take the trick. shake But even though both teams were getting the hang of things, Ed and I were still getting the best of it, winning hands 2 and 3 60-30 and 96-72.

But the fourth hand was a disaster for us. We took one trick. One! I think some misreads by my partner concerning what I might have in my hand contributed to it some. My having an opponent play a card for me to a trick I couldn't win was a mistake, too, as Carrie just dumped our Obelisk (the x3 sanctuary) into the trick her partner had already won. The scores for that hand were 174...to 2.

We were running out of time, so we decided to end it at 500. And for Ed and me, that was a good thing. We got two more hands in, and though the first of those was close (68-52 in favor of Mark and Carrie), they caught up significantly. At one point I realized that we were suffering in the final hand, and I tried to finagle things so that the last two tricks were both won by Purgatory cards, keeping those points out of the hand's scoring entirely, but it wasn't to be. And as a result, in the last hand Mark and Carrie scored 138 to our 56. Both teams ended up surpassing 500, but Ed and I held out, winning 542 to 509.

This strikes me as a game where you need to spend some time playing with a partner, so you develop some ideas of how they do things. It'd probably be a good game for two couples to play regularly, one night a week, after dinner, say. It has some very intriguing concepts. I'm looking forward to my next play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.