Subject: The Youngest Carcassonne Victor Ever? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Olverge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just purchased Carcassonne and had only played it twice before. I was eager to try it out with the River expansion and was setting up at the kitchen table. My two and a half year old daughter took an immediate interest and since she's very mature for her age I decided to let her try playing a game. Although I knew she wouldn’t understand much of it, I thought she’d enjoy connecting the tiles and placing the meeples.

I cut back the total number of tiles to shorten the game a bit, but otherwise we played by the Rio Grande rules. She did great at placing the river tiles so the ends connected. We had one U-turn in the river, but it didn’t cause any problems so I let it be.

On her turns I didn’t have to help her much at all with tile placement. She knew immediately to connect castle walls, and other than helping her see how to turn some tiles to fit, she made all of the choices herself. When it came to placement of Followers, I just told her the options and let her decide what to do. Sometimes she’d place; sometimes shed say “I’m gonna wait”.

She was more patient with this than she’s ever been with Candyland or Memory, but maybe that’s because it was “Daddy’s game”. I really didn’t expect to finish, but we did. I was just starting to feel like I was getting a handle on the game, but after the final scoring was completed I wasn’t so sure. I had been soundly crushed. Her random plays decimated my thought-out maneuvering. Maybe by the time she turns three I’ll be able to win against her. I’ll keep at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Dragon
United States
Willows
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you know her plays were "random"? Maybe she understood the game better than you think she did. I think a lot of people underestimate what children are capable of understanding, and their ability to solve abstract problems (such as strategy games) when they're given a chance. You must have heard of chess prodigies; perhaps she's a Carcassonne prodigy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How cool, I have friends who place tiles wrong half the time and we have to tell them that doesn't go there. This is with someone who has played it a few times, not a newbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.