Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
Microbadge: I love AutumnMicrobadge: Moxie drinkerMicrobadge: I love New EnglandMicrobadge: Tom Brady fanMicrobadge: I attended Lobster Trap!
My cousin the Celtics fan who lives in Brooklyn is ecstatic. He gets to watch some of his favorite players now, and his favorite team gets the tools needed to build for the future. Win win for Celtics fans in Brooklyn!

... a small subset, I'll grant you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Have you tried turning it off again?Microbadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: I love Colorado - The Centennial State!Microbadge: Denver Nuggets fanMicrobadge: Have you tried turning it on again?
It will definitely we weird seeing Garnett and Pierce wearing the Brooklyn unis. I guess the trade will benefit the current philosophies of both teams. The Nets want to win now and the Celtics want to rebuild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no complaints with this trade one way or the other. I

think the three first rounders is excessive and that the Celtics made out and only had to suck up one bad contract (Wallace - Humphries comes off the books in a season). The Celtics weren't doing anything this year and the Nets threw them a lifeline.

The Nets, well, they are all in. I'm having a hard time picturing what their identity will be. They will need to gel, quickly, as their window is one, maybe two years max. With a coach with no experience (I do like Kidd there as a coach) it's really hard to peg down and I just don't think they get by the Heat or the Pacers in the East.

Man, I despise the Celtics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Looks like a great rebuilding move by Boston. Those draft picks could be juicy, what with Brooklyn taking on those big contracts for aged players and a new inexperienced coach. But...

Free Rajon Rondo! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
Teriyaki Donuts wrote:
It will definitely we weird seeing Garnett...wearing the Brooklyn unis.
No weider than seeing him in a Celtics uniform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Have you tried turning it off again?Microbadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: I love Colorado - The Centennial State!Microbadge: Denver Nuggets fanMicrobadge: Have you tried turning it on again?
frumpish wrote:
Teriyaki Donuts wrote:
It will definitely we weird seeing Garnett...wearing the Brooklyn unis.
No weider than seeing him in a Celtics uniform.
True, he played 10+ years for the Timberwolves. He also claimed earlier this year that he bleeds green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
Teriyaki Donuts wrote:
He also claimed earlier this year that he bleeds green.
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
b a n j o wrote:
Big contracts? The move decreased the total salary of the team.
I was looking at next year (BRO 32M - BOS 24M). The year after that, it's BRO 17M - BOS 23 M, and Boston is stuck with Wallace two years after that. It seems the only player with a sizeable contract they have for amnesty is Rondo (as if). I guess they're banking on those picks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I thought this was a steal by the Celts. Three 1st round picks for a couple of players in the twilight of their careers?? That they needed to get rid of in order to rebuild and who had no desire to stick around for that rebuilding??? I guess P.T. Barnum was right!

Add that to a fourth 1st round pick for a coach who also wanted to leave! What a great job by Ainge!

The devil's in the details, of course, and maybe they had to take on some onerous contracts. But on the surface, this looks like a fabulous trade by Boston, who were facing a daunting task in reloading for the future, but who just got a huge jumpstart on that process.

Now, as far as the Nets are concerned, I really don't get it. I agree they're a little better today than yesterday, but I don't see that they improved enough for it to matter. As Scott Van Pelt said on ESPN, it's like they moved to a nicer house, but it's still in the same neighborhood. Add to that the obvious window of opportunity of only 2 years, PLUS the fact that they have a new coach who's never coached a game in his life (I'm sure Kidd will be good eventually, but don't you think he'll have some learning pains in the first couple of years?). Getting this team to mesh will be a challenge and they're hoping a rookie coach can do it. They wanted to get more athletic, but they got LESS athletic. And bottom line, do you really think they're capable of beating the Bulls or the Pacers, not to mention the Heat? In exchange for that marginal improvement, they've mortgaged their future for the next 5 years. I don't care how bad they draft, that's the lifeblood of any team.

It's becoming clear to me that the Nets are the NBA equivalent to the NY Jets; both teams seem far more concerned about getting space on the back page of the NY tabloids than in actually having a good team. So it's all about the buzz and making headlines. I'm sure Brooklyn will be entertaining next year and win a reasonable number of games. But they only increased their probability of being truly competitive by a tiny amount. Was that really worth three first-rounders?

No disrespect to KG or Pierce--both are great players. But both are mighty long in the tooth and the Nets weren't that great to start with. Getting only two years of players of that vintage just doesn't sound like enough for what Brooklyn gave up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boston cleaned house and the Nets get the chance to lose to Miami or Indiana in the playoffs next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you're right. But if you're going to cede any chance of your team improving through the draft forever, you might as well just throw in the towel now. Three first rounders are huge, even for the Nets.

I've heard the argument about "Well, they'll just have to use free agency", but all I hear in the NBA is how tough the salary cap makes it to use free agency effectively. After all, they've got a fair bit of money down in Miami, but they've had to scrimp after signing the Big Three. Maybe having an uber-rich owner will make a difference, but I guess I'll have to see that happen before I'm convinced it will work.

I'm just not sure how much Garnett and Pierce have left in the tank. I do believe they'll be able to change the dynamic in the locker room and that could be a huge benefit. But at the end of the day, you have to win games on the court and I'm just not certain how much these guys will be able to give Brooklyn.

I've got nothing against the Nets and it's nice to see both New York teams be relevant for a change. And maybe I'm grossing underestimating what KG and Pierce will be able to do with their last chance at a final title. I know you don't think much of the loss of three draft choices, but the rest of the league values them highly, both for economic and talent reasons. I was skeptical of the deal from the beginning and most of the reaction I've heard from NBA commentators has been along the same lines. I guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out in the years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
I could be wrong, but I thought this was a steal by the Celts. Three 1st round picks for a couple of players in the twilight of their careers?? That they needed to get rid of in order to rebuild and who had no desire to stick around for that rebuilding??? I guess P.T. Barnum was right!

Add that to a fourth 1st round pick for a coach who also wanted to leave! What a great job by Ainge!

The devil's in the details, of course, and maybe they had to take on some onerous contracts. But on the surface, this looks like a fabulous trade by Boston, who were facing a daunting task in reloading for the future, but who just got a huge jumpstart on that process.

Now, as far as the Nets are concerned, I really don't get it. I agree they're a little better today than yesterday, but I don't see that they improved enough for it to matter. As Scott Van Pelt said on ESPN, it's like they moved to a nicer house, but it's still in the same neighborhood. Add to that the obvious window of opportunity of only 2 years, PLUS the fact that they have a new coach who's never coached a game in his life (I'm sure Kidd will be good eventually, but don't you think he'll have some learning pains in the first couple of years?). Getting this team to mesh will be a challenge and they're hoping a rookie coach can do it. They wanted to get more athletic, but they got LESS athletic. And bottom line, do you really think they're capable of beating the Bulls or the Pacers, not to mention the Heat? In exchange for that marginal improvement, they've mortgaged their future for the next 5 years. I don't care how bad they draft, that's the lifeblood of any team.

It's becoming clear to me that the Nets are the NBA equivalent to the NY Jets; both teams seem far more concerned about getting space on the back page of the NY tabloids than in actually having a good team. So it's all about the buzz and making headlines. I'm sure Brooklyn will be entertaining next year and win a reasonable number of games. But they only increased their probability of being truly competitive by a tiny amount. Was that really worth three first-rounders?

No disrespect to KG or Pierce--both are great players. But both are mighty long in the tooth and the Nets weren't that great to start with. Getting only two years of players of that vintage just doesn't sound like enough for what Brooklyn gave up.
As a Celtics fans, I agree with this take on the trade. I don't really care about how the Nets may have gotten better in the short term, but to have raked in four bonus #1 picks between this trade and sending Doc Rivers to LA, the Celts are poised to build a new championship power house in the coming years. My only regret is seeing Paul Pierce in any uniform other than Celtics green (I imagine when he retires in a year or two, he'll sign one of those 'one day' contracts so he can retire a Celtic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
And the pants of the vicar are closing rataplan rataplan rrrrrrr
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
Microbadge: L.A. Lakers fanMicrobadge: Avocado loverMicrobadge: Robyn Hitchcock fanMicrobadge: Hüsker Dü fanMicrobadge: 13!
It depends on where those picks fall. In the NBA, anything after the first 5-10 picks is essentially a second-rounder: You're incredibly lucky if you get a star and doing well if you get a role player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
It depends on where those picks fall. In the NBA, anything after the first 5-10 picks is essentially a second-rounder: You're incredibly lucky if you get a star and doing well if you get a role player.
I don't necessarily disagree, but the point is that now the Celts have basically doubled their chances of landing some star talent over the next four years, with 8 first round picks now in hand. Plus, if they choose to do so, they could always package up some of these first round picks in a trade for a top end free agent or two. I just think it gives the front office a lot of flexibility. Besides, as much as I liked Pierce and KG, they are clearly about finished, and the Celts were not winning any more championships with that lineup. With the Celtics, it's about championships, not winning seasons or playoff appearances, so it was time to rebuild (reload).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls