Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading info and reviews about Iliade, this game sound similar to a quick version of "Condottiere". Is this true or I'm just saying plain crap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Rothacher
Switzerland
Langenthal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, it's the same Author
I don't remember well condottiere but a friend who played Iliad with me told me, that it's quite similar. I'm not sure but I think playing Iliade you have some more possibilities to act and to react directly on the cards your opponents played. Then there are the Oracle-Cards - not every battle takes place the same way and the distribution of 3 Kind of Victory cards opens the way to different alliances (and backstabbing of course arrrh ). And there is no such powerful card as the winter or the bishop or the Key (?) the balance of the battles and the game is much more subtle.
I remember that after two or three plays of condottiere I looked around for something else to play, as for Iliade I'd play it again as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pennicillina wrote:
Reading info and reviews about Iliade, this game sound similar to a quick version of "Condottiere". Is this true or I'm just saying plain crap?

Although Iliade is almost certainly an evolution of Condoittiere, it plays very differently since it has sophisticated card combinations and allows you to attack enemy forces. The threat of card combinations also prevents weaker cards from ever being truly useless, a persistant problem with low ranking armies in Condoittiere. The strategy of playing threatening cards to intimidate other players away from certain combinations is a major factor in this game that is only hinted at in Condoittiere.

The large number of "Rock Paper Scissors" type relationships often gives Iliade an almost a CCG type feel. Perhaps the best way to think of it is as a CCG type game that uses Condoittiere as its base. Condoittiere is dominated by a strategy of conserving cards which is not as important in Iliade since you don't always have to win 1st place to get what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.