GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,406 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Entry Point? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Axmaker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all,

I recently graduated from a Master's program (yay me!) and so will probably have bit more drive to do the research and whatnot to play some of the bigger games again finally. However, I have never gotten into the wargaming scene before, other than the random lurking on these forums and random other strategy sites.

I'm not really looking for a miniatures game, which is a good thing since I don't think those are really talked about here. But I am looking for a game with a relatively easy entry point (preferably not too expensive as the whole income/job thing hasn't really happened yet) that has replay-ability. I need it to be able to hold interest longer.

It'd be great if it was able to be played solo up to as many as 4 people, though 1-2 players is just fine. I don't know that I have any other people that are in the area that would be interested in playing with me other than just my brother in law anyway.

As for time period, it doesn't really matter... I'm a big history buff in the World Wars, so perhaps that'd be ideal, but an American Civil War game might allow me to get my wife interested, maybe.

Oh, and I do have Memoir '44 and do enjoy that game, for sure... looking for the next step after that, maybe?

Anyway... any ideas? I'm relying on your expertise to help me get started!

Thanks again,

Hobse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What level of decision making are you (+3) looking for? Do you want to make decisions for individual troops, squads, companies, divisions, armies? Do you imagine yourself deciding which fence to hide behind, deciding which road best gets supplies to the troops, or which island to take next?

Each game is going to have a level at which the majority of game decisions are made. Each level has it's own challenges and fun. I mention this because you're looking for an entry point and there are a lot of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Victory Point Games have a lot of entry-level titles that are affordable and fun. GMT has done deluxe versions of some of their games -- No Retreat! The Russian Front is OOP but can still be had at a very reasonable price here on the BGG Marketplace. It's essentially a 2-player game (GMT published a solitaire kit in C3i #26), but I've had a blast playing it 4-player, with two to a side. It's fun to see how negotiations develop among teammates.

It includes a lot of the intro-to-wargame essentials -- supply, zones of control, combat results table, unit step reductions, and adds a card mechanic that is fairly innovative. It does all of this with very few counters, so you won't be manipulating stacks of cardboard with tweezers. Another plus, the components are beautifully done. As to the scale, you'll be commanding army groups and fronts across the Soviet Union and Greater Germany.

There are a thousand other entry points, but that's my recommendation.

Well, that and Case Blue. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniatures actually are discussed here a lot
Bolt Action
Is a WW2 skirmish commercial set which I think is the best wargames ruleset since DBA.

But assuming no interest there then I would recommend two in print cardboard games.

Battle for Moscow (second edition)
Classic low complexity hex and counter. Available from Victory Point Games and a C3i magazine.

Nations at War: White Star Rising
Fast low/mid complexity platoon level WW2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Oh stop it. There might be a few people who can jump from Memoir to
OCS, but it would be a serious rarity.

I'd suggest getting some of the 'basics' down first. And, there
really is no better place to start than the PnP version of
Napoleon at Waterloo. Dunnigan knew what he was doing. From there,
you start to learn fundamental concepts which apply to most traditional
wargames - without anything added on. Yeah, it ain't the best game
in the world; but it gets core concepts down that I doubt any modern
designs manage as effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Enrico but I also slightly prefer Battle for Moscow for this purpose. One reason is that soak-off attacks as seen in NaW are rarely seen anymore, at least I don't see them but maybe I don't get around much . Also, each side plays differently in Battle for Moscow and thus teaches different things.

The Axis is on the offense and has all the neat toys, but must learn how to effectively employ them in a race against time. The Russians have to learn the art of ordered delay and withdrawal, and how to use terrain and Zones of Control to his or her best advantage to get that done.

That said, either game will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wajda
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rodvik wrote:
I would also suggest their World at War Series which White Star Rising's system is based off of as well because it has much more modern equipment in a Cold War gone hot setting if you want something with variety that isn't World War II or something else from the Arab-Israeli Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will third the Battle for Moscow (VPG or C3i versions). It has a lot to offer a beginner and it's inexpensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
wajdag1 wrote:

Pick up the 2nd Edition of this. Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) It's a great gateway game. Supports 1-4 players. You'll still enjoy pulling it out to play sometimes even after you have outgrown it. Also, while solitaire rules are included, a full on solitaire expansion with AI is releasing shortly as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege or Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 if you want to move Squads around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent points of entry:

Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege WWII (as Chris Drake suggested))
A Victory Denied: Crisis at Smolensk, July-September, 1941 WWII
A Victory Complete: The Battle of Tannenberg, 1914 WWI

All great games (all from MMP games) to get yor feet wet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not a traditional war game, Andean Abyss fits your criteria of being playable from 1 - 4 players. It has pretty decent actual solitaire rules and imo has a lot of replay ability as solo game as it is a CDG where you take 12 of the 72 cards out of play each game. Also, when playing completely solo there are three bots you are playing against whose play are driven by the random nature of the deck, so each game will play out quite differently.

If you are looking for a more traditional war game you might try looking at Ardennes '44, it's OOP print and has quite a few counters, but the rules are relatively simple and straight forward. You might also try Infidel, it has some smaller scenarios that aren't as bad as Ardennes for setup purposes. Those two were some of my first forays into true wargames. Infidel is probably quicker to play and setup, but its rules were a little more difficult, whereas Ardennes has a longer play/setup time, but the rules seemed pretty straight forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hayden
United States
Amelia
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at any of the games in the Standard Combat Series. They are basic from a rules stand point, but give you lots of in game decision points. Learning the system opens up many battles from various wars, with game specific rules providing each game with it's own unique flavor. The biggest gripe most people have with the system is how a-historical the battles can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McCarthy
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Lock 'n Load's World at War/Nations at War series. They're easy to learn, play quickly, and plays well solitaire due to its chit-pull activation mechanism.
(Most importantly, they're a lot of fun)
Check out World at War: The Untold Stories as an entry point there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobse wrote:
It'd be great if it was able to be played solo up to as many as 4 people, though 1-2 players is just fine. I don't know that I have any other people that are in the area that would be interested in playing with me other than just my brother in law anyway.

As for time period, it doesn't really matter... I'm a big history buff in the World Wars, so perhaps that'd be ideal, but an American Civil War game might allow me to get my wife interested, maybe.

"Card Driven Games" aren't great for solitaire, but they can produce a pretty tense and entertaining game, and include a lot of historical chrome. I'd suggest these two:

WW1 - CDG - Paths of Glory (2 player)

ACW - CDG - For the People (2 player)

The only game that I can think of that fits the bill for being playable solitaire to 4 players is the old game Conquistador. It's not so much a wargame as it is a struggle against attrition and natives. But that's what makes it OK for solitaire or multiple players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Warren Bruhn wrote:

The only game that I can think of that fits the bill for being playable solitaire to 4 players is the old game Conquistador. It's not so much a wargame as it is a struggle against attrition and natives. But that's what makes it OK for solitaire or multiple players.

Andean Abyss would be another fitting into that 'not really a wargame'
but has 1-4 player rules.

Not sure if the OP is looking for designed for solo, or simply
not particularly difficult to solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Axmaker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Warren Bruhn wrote:

Andean Abyss would be another fitting into that 'not really a wargame'
but has 1-4 player rules.

Not sure if the OP is looking for designed for solo, or simply
not particularly difficult to solo.

Not particularly difficult to solo. ;P

All of these are excellent suggestions. I was surprised by the lack of CDG stuff, particularly the Command & Colors games, which are highly regarded by the local game store (which is more board game centric, over being particularly wargaming centric).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobse wrote:

All of these are excellent suggestions. I was surprised by the lack of CDG stuff, particularly the Command & Colors games, which are highly regarded by the local game store (which is more board game centric, over being particularly wargaming centric).

If you enjoy Memoir, both Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics are good steps up in complexity and play value (or so I understand, never having played Memoir), maintaining the same core C&C mechanics while offering quite different play experiences, both from Memoir and each other (so you wouldn't just be playing a re-theme of the same game). Neither genre was listed in your periods of interest, though. Battle Cry is the C&C game which would satisfy your ACW requirement but I believe it would be equivalent to Memoir in complexity, or even simpler.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobse wrote:
Hey all,

I recently graduated from a Master's program (yay me!) and so will probably have bit more drive to do the research and whatnot to play some of the bigger games again finally. However, I have never gotten into the wargaming scene before, other than the random lurking on these forums and random other strategy sites.

I'm not really looking for a miniatures game, which is a good thing since I don't think those are really talked about here. But I am looking for a game with a relatively easy entry point (preferably not too expensive as the whole income/job thing hasn't really happened yet) that has replay-ability. I need it to be able to hold interest longer.

Oh, and I do have Memoir '44 and do enjoy that game, for sure... looking for the next step after that, maybe?

Anyway... any ideas? I'm relying on your expertise to help me get started!

Thanks again,

Hobse

First of all, congrats on the master's degree, Nick. You get a pat on the back, a warm wargame forum welcome, and you get your own Sho Nuff Meme...

Now when I say, "Who's the master?", you say, "Nick Axmaker."

Now, to answer your question, maybe this can help: click this Geeklist:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/134875/my-war-games-sorted...

Where I sort my collection from easiest to hardest. Find a complexity level that you feel comfortable with, then find a theme that interests you, and you are off and researching if it is for you. You can read comments, reviews, even Geekmail me for more info.

If you like Memoir and want Civil War, I really enjoyed Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition a whole lot. Even better graphics and plastic than Memoir and a similar system.

If you like small unit tactical WWII action, Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles uses 7 pages of rules to get you off and running. The system is slick and very realistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean_Paul Sartre
msg tools
rodvik wrote:
Miniatures actually are discussed here a lot
Bolt Action
Is a WW2 skirmish commercial set which I think is the best wargames ruleset since DBA.

But assuming no interest there then I would recommend two in print cardboard games.

Battle for Moscow (second edition)
Classic low complexity hex and counter. Available from Victory Point Games and a C3i magazine.

^^^ This. I've found a lot of mini players here. Looking at the Bolt Action starter set myself, comes complete with plastic miniatures. Looks like a good entry point to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.