Subject: Poker Dice with Suits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Green
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found an arrangement for poker dice that allow a wider variety of poker hands, including flushes, straights, and straight flushes, but it requires 5 dice that are different, rather than five that are identical. I am not sure if this will ever go past prototyping, but I'd like some play-testing help or other feedback. This arrangement should make any straight possible as a straight-flush or unsuited.

Die 1: 8S, 10C, JD, QH, KS & Black Joker
Die 2: 8H, 9S, JC, QD, KH & AS
Die 3: 8D, 9H, 10S, QC, KD & AH
Die 4: 8S, 9D, 10H, JS, KC & AD
Die 5: 9C, 10D, JH, QS, AC & Red Joker

If anyone has seen a set like this before or has feedback please let me know. (Unnecessary Key: S=Spades, H=Hearts, D=Diamonds, C=Clubs, J=Jack, Q=Queen, K=King.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen Square Shooters?
An entire deck (including 2 Jokers) on 9 dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Miller
United States
woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are also octahedral dice that come in sets of five, have all suits and rank 5-A. They are fun to throw, but I have yet to find a good game to play with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vibe runner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I know it's late to this thread but as there are only three Poker Dice Variants threads I thought I'd contribute my Straights variant which plays well (quickly and intuitively) on standard poker dice.

The fundamental of poker is the more difficult to get a hand (least probability) the higher priority it has for a win. In standard poker it goes Royal Flush, Straight Flush, 4 of a Kind, Full House, Flush, Straight, 3 of a Kind, and so on. And each is increasingly unlikely (less probable).

The rules of poker dice go 5 of a Kind, 4 of a Kind, Full House, Straight, 3 of a Kind, onwards. However a Full House is more likely (3.86%) than a Straight (3.09%).

The quickest and most mathematically correct way to fix that is to swap Full House and Straight, however our local variant gives an extra hand and makes it a bit more fun "competing", it goes High Straight (A K Q J 10) then Full House then Low Straight (K Q J 10 9).

The mnemonic is very easy: Five, Four, Straight-House-Straight; Three, Two-Two, One.

(Obviously two-two is two pairs, one one pair)

- - -

As an side, Bust is much less likely in Poker Dice (6.17%), in fact it's much less likely than 3 of a Kind, so we have a relatively substantial Bust Kitty (£1 per player in games that are usually 20p or 50p per round) and the first person to go Bust gets the Kitty (per round, so share if multiple busts in a round).

There is only one Bust Kitty per game unless a new player joins (we play in pubs so it does happen) in that case the Bust Kitty gets refreshed by all players. It makes joining an existing game more of an "event".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls