Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

I need your wisdom and good advice here.

I'm a Vietnam war fan, and have several games on that topic, plus another one in the mail in route to yours truly.

I have Vietnam 1965-1975 and for those of you whom have that game and In Country: Vietnam 1965-75 here is my question: it is worth to have both of them?

I checked the info about IC:V and know this is game being published just now, so maybe my question cannot be answered for the time being; but if anyone of you have had the chance to play both, will like to know your authorized opinion as to whether it is convenient or not to have both of them in a same game collection.

Thanks, my friends.

Regards,

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
I own them both. I have only played the first short scenario of IC, I liked it. Vietnam is of course a masterpiece!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IC is a Joe Miranda game and I usually find his to be pretty dry and dull, though I'm sure many will disagree.

The Victory Games Vietnam is amazing and my choice for the war. Though the old Wargamer magazine First Team: Vietnam is a very close second place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred J
Netherlands
Wassenaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
IC is a Joe Miranda game and I usually find his to be pretty dry and dull, though I'm sure many will disagree.

The Victory Games Vietnam is amazing and my choice for the war. Though the old Wargamer magazine First Team: Vietnam is a very close second place.

I fully agree with this - I played a few games of IC but the excitement came nowhere close the one I felt when first playing VG's Vietnam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere in my basement in a Rubbermaid tub is a game that I bought years ago called "No Trumpets, No Drums". It too was astrategic level sim of the entire war.. I think it was in a magazine. I haven't looked at in years but as I recall it was quick paced and bloody. Does anyone else remember this ?

Re Decision Games " Vietnam", I think that this is one of the very best wargames ever published. I agree with Fred above, it was really someting back in 1985 - "exciting" is a good description.

I have Winged Horse too and in looking at the promos for "In Country" it seems to be just an update with different chrome. I do like Winged Horse however and the conjoined variant that lets you play the whole war, because its easier solitaire than "Vietnam". I love the arc light strikes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunner Joe wrote:
Somewhere in my basement in a Rubbermaid tub is a game that I bought years ago called "No Trumpets, No Drums". It too was astrategic level sim of the entire war.. I think it was in a magazine. I haven't looked at in years but as I recall it was quick paced and bloody. Does anyone else remember this ?
If only there was a website that listed games and publisher information that had a search bar at the top of the page. Fortunately for me, there is and I found: No Trumpets No Drums.

Gunner Joe wrote:
Re Decision Games " Vietnam", I think that this is one of the very best wargames ever published. I agree with Fred above, it was really someting back in 1985 - "exciting" is a good description.
I never have gotten to play it. I got shown the intro scenario and it looked interesting (it is the favorite game of a local gamer) but we have never invested the time for it. It is on my "bucket list" to play it.

Gunner Joe wrote:
I have Winged Horse too and in looking at the promos for "In Country" it seems to be just an update with different chrome. I do like Winged Horse however and the conjoined variant that lets you play the whole war, because its easier solitaire than "Vietnam". I love the arc light strikes.
I only got to play Winged Horse the one time and really enjoyed it. I look forward to trying In Country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Except is was *Victory Games* that published "Vietnam 65-75", not Decision Games.

IMO, Decision Games is incapable of making a game like Vietnam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game does not seem to generate much interest, even on Consim.

Which is unfortunate since it is a bit on the expensive side being a double issue game. Maybe it will be a special at some point.

guess we have to wait for the COIN Vietnam.

Storm Over Dien Bien Phu looks interesting as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This game does not seem to generate much interest, even on Consim.
This game had plenty of interest when it first came out, for a magazine game I though the buzz was quite positive. I have played it and enjoyed it a lot, I am not sure what you consider when you make these statements but Joe Miranda answers any questions posted on Consimworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not talking about getting questions answered. That happens regularly with many. many games on Consim.

It is also common that newly released games generate lots of buzz.

It is just my opinion that conversations have died down fairly quickly with regard to this title, though that is also fairly common with many games.

If it ever pops up as a weekly special on the S&T webstore, then I will be happy to give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Vandine
United States
Weaverville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reactivating a long dead thread...

Yes, to answer your question, it IS worth it to own both. They are different scales, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of utility in seeing the war at both levels.

As an amateur "game tinkerer" I really like the SOF rules in In Country, and plan to retrofit them to Vietnam (I like that scale better). I also like the concept of firebases, underground units (though you might be able to replicate it without all the extra boxes by simply putting a "UG" marker (like those from the old SPI game Minuteman) on top of the counter on the map. I like the communist war zones idea (giving them some of the same kinds of issues that the Allies have with the corps zones) and I love the idea of sappers and flak divisions. I also prefer the "supply units" system to the paper tracking (with it's inevitable sources of confusion) in the Vietnam game. I think the Military/Political VP system is probably smoother than the US Morale system in Vietnam, though I think it needs to be modified by a Hearts and Minds system interaction. I also really like the Communist base areas system -- it goes a LONG way towards explaining why some operations that otherwise don't make a ton of sense were executed, especially during 1966-67.

Since someone else mentioned No Trumpets, No Drums, I also think there is a tremendous amount of utility in that game as well for us game tinkerers out here. Among other things, the Hearts and Minds system seems like a much smoother and simpler way to track it than the population control megasystem in Vietnam. I'd say simply replacing the Vietnam system with a province-by-province version of the NTND Hearts and Minds system would do a much nicer and easier job of replicating the issues. I also like the addition of SAMs and MiGs in NTND, and the Montagnards.

All in all, all three games have some really valid points to make about the war, and all three have elements in the rules that would, if combined together in a single game both improve the overall fidelity of the simulation AND simplify it from the Vietnam standard (which is still one of the better games ever made on the subject, IMHO).

Mind you, this is all my personal opinions, and is probably worth about what you paid for it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls