Brandyon PlusOneCards
msg tools
My name is Brandyon and I am the Creator of a game called Legion Quest. I just launched a Kickstarter Campaign and wanted to get some input on the game. I want to make this game a reality I have been working on this game for over 2 years now and it is ready to be sold. It is a CCG and I think that you guys would truly love to pay it.

Come check out my Kickstarter page @

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/256443120/legion-quest?r...

Any help you guys can give me would be great. I can give you any more detail that you would like to have. Also if you know any other ways to spread the word please let me know.

Brandyon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best advice I can give you is not make a CCG. People generally don't like those. Rework your game to be a LCG if you absolutely must have expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion is to really research the class of game you're designing here on BGG. There are ALOT of games that look exactly like yours, so you need to make sure you are offering something better/different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Wow, the art manages to be both sub-par and sexist. Didn't even bother to read a word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No Rules
No Gameplay videos
Collectible Card Game
Boobs Don't Look or Work Like That
MTG copy (I assume, hard to tell without rules or a gameplay video)
No Entry On BGG (which tells me no real research was done in the industry first)
No Business Model Discussed under Risks

Yeah.

Edited to add:
Typos on Kickstarter page
Basic Pledge Give You All To Play Game - false. You and somebody else needs to pay the basic pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Card playerMicrobadge: I have a heart for boardgames and boardgamers worldwideMicrobadge: I'm a fan of stuffMicrobadge: LoveMicrobadge: Organ donor
MattShinners wrote:
Wow, the art manages to be both sub-par and sexist. Didn't even bother to read a word.
+ this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rosso
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joose wrote:
MattShinners wrote:
+ this

Yeah I have to agree style of the artwork is a bit much (or not enough). It isn't bad, just over the top. You're going to lose more than gain possible supporters using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bnmcmillian wrote:

Come check out my Kickstarter page @

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/256443120/legion-quest?r...

Any help you guys can give me would be great. I can give you any more detail that you would like to have. Also if you know any other ways to spread the word please let me know.
Yeah, I have one question for you: Why did you plagiarize my Kickstarter campaign almost word-for-word across multiple paragraphs? I spent MONTHS writing my campaign page across several major revisions, and it wasn't so you could just cut and paste it into yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Busted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Seymour
United States
Maynard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im going to repost my reply to your other forum here, since this one is newer, yet the prior posting wasnt responded to after initial feedback came through.

BElow is my post on http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12710473#12710473 with a few edits to account for changes to the original flow of the argument.

So im going to give you a quick run down of the things that would (personally) prevent me from backing this project. this is in no way a critique of the work you have put into the game, but at the first glance, things that generally turn me off to certain projects.

1) CCGs. Its just not a style of game I am willing to invest in. Generally, when I buy a game I want all of the content I could possibly have, and I want to be able to play it out of the box. two things that arent overly common with the CCG market. I personally dont like a game style that reuquires investment (in both time and money) to find artifically limited material (rare/uncommon cards).

2) You Backer History. its one of the first thing I check on a kickstarter project. Generally, I ask myself why I should support someones project when they havent put their proverbial money where their mouth is. Why would this project be worth backing when the creator (apparently) hasnt put stock into the crowdfunding model by backing other projects.

3) The Art. I tend to avoid projects where the first or second picture is a scantily clad woman. Just not my style. I put my games on display in my house, and the last thing I want is art like that sitting around when I have friends with kids come over. Its not that I dont think the art should be there, its just personal preference that keeps me from buying things that (appear) to be intentionally scandalous.

4)BGG new user. its always a little weird seeing someone pop up on BGG with a new account asking for money from the community when there are people who have been part of the community also doing design work who have been around forever.

Just some thoughts, I know at this point in the process this isnt really actionable information, but, its at least input into what might be a subset of the board game community that wont back a project due to the "first impression" of looking at it.

5) Home from work and was able to watch the video. A bit more time on the editing/rehearsing probably would've helped. Reading off a script made it sound really... uninspired. that combined with the slightly "off" camera angle to allow you to read the script made it look very unprofessional/not well planned.

Good luck with your campaign, and I wish you the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You wanted feedback, and here is mine.

I think it is unconscionable to rip off another Kickstarter's text wholesale, especially when your victim is a new designer himself.

The game, in my opinion, is a warmed-over rehash of better products, and the sad (and indisputable) fact that you plagarized another person's earnest efforts leaves a bitter taste about the whole thing.

Not good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Haskett
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out www.undinestudios.com!
badge
Oh, Taloon, do be careful!
mbmbmbmbmb
Busted indeed.

Look, Kickstarters are hard work, but you have to do the work. Your dodgy comment on the campaign page doesn't help either--yes, you should look to other successful Kickstarters when planning your own, but that doesn't mean that you should take a pair of scissors and paste together a ransom note clipped from other campaigns before calling it a day. And your implication that it's just a coincidence is insulting.

If you just waltz in and half-ass everything, people are going to notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A $5K funding goal to launch a CCG

Yeah you have done ZERO research on the industry

This reaks of Who's for Dinner? campaign no one will ever see this game should it reach it's goal

And really copying someone's text from their project page

WOW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This will probably be another in a long line of "launch kickstarter, find out BGG exists, create account, spam your project in order to get all the bgg nerds who will obviously love the game to buy it, never answer any of the umpteen questions people post on bgg" posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Douglas
msg tools
I wouldn't touch this project with a 10 foot Legion Quest inflated boob.

Bad art, plagiarism, CCG model? Can you hit anything else unappealing?

Announce you're running for public office perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the advice of a good friend, I sent the project creator a personal message via Kickstarter to remove the plagiarized text. I never received an apology or, for that matter, any kind of reply, but they removed a good chunk of the stolen material. As long as they remove the last plagiarized paragraph, I'll consider the matter settled. I know they can't adjust the pledge level text (some of which was also stolen) after the campaign has already been launched, so there's nothing that can be done about that short of them cancelling the project altogether, which I'm sure they won't do.

I know it's just paranoia gripping me currently, but I'm having serious misgivings about running the campaign for the Hero Brigade expansion now. One of the best things about the original campaign was sharing with folks on The GameCrafter and here on BoardGameGeek and getting early critical feedback. What's to prevent someone from stealing the text from a preview and posting it to their own Kickstarter first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I finally got a reply from the project creator. Instead of replying back, it looks like he just cancelled the project.

Happy to be able to close out that chapter and work on game design instead!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Basham
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I quit!
badge
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Gargoyle's Quest" Gameboy, 1990
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for keeping us updated Nicholas. That they actually cancelled their project is probably the best possible outcome, but it would have been nice for them to at least offer some kind of apology other than, "sorry if you felt we did anything wrong..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I call BS on that "apology." "Sorry we go caught," really. But the project is cancelled, apparently, so I guess that's a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls