Subject: Multiple weapons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
A character can only shoot with two pistols if they have the right skill. What about close combat? If you have two swords, can you add both of its characteristics to the character's attacks (plus 4 fight, -2 pluck, for example), or would you need an additional skill to represent training to do that? If they were both poisoned, that would be -4 pluck rather than -6, presumably? If you could attack two different opponents, would you attack both with both swords, or would you spread the swords' power out - currently, in the rules, the weapon's power would be used twice and the fighting skill of the attacker is split.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig cartmell
msg tools
In short - no.

Read 3.4.2 Multiple Attacks (P.17). There is currently no talent that allows you to fight with two fighting weapons and add their bonuses together, and I'd recommend that you didn't as this would not be a balanced approach.

I could see no problem with someone fighting with a sword and a poisoned dagger though. Then they could choose to split their FV between the two weapons, perhaps putting the attacks with the dagger against a lesser armoured opponent.

At the end of the day though we encourage players to be creative and to use the rules as they see fit, as long as they have the agreement of their fellows.

I hope that this help.

Cheers,
Craig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Perhaps a future book might include such a talent? If you feel it makes a character particularly powerful it might have to cost a lot to make up for it (like the Hunter skill with a hunting rifle being a total of 21 points). Or possibly it is a skill that might be limited to one character per gang. Although, I know you want to keep things fairly simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rulebook again a poisoned two-handed sword or pole-arm gives +3 FV bonus and -4 to pluck and costs 6 points (14 points including poison). 2 swords (not poisoned) might give +4 FV and -2 pluck, and would cost 8 points so wouldn't be as nasty. Poison wouldn't multiply so the additional 8 points would only subtract 2, not 4 from the opponent's pluck.

I've not used poison in a game yet, but I imagine my Ninja would probably use the stuff.

I think I will include two swords in a game, costing the full 8 points but only used with the stats of a single 6-point large sword. The reason for the extra 2 points cost would be that if you rolled a fumble followed by a 1, only one of the swords would become unusable.

Does that sound reasonable?

Incidentally, I have also created a man that has control over animals, and I think if an animal fumbles it is not likely to lose the use of its claws - not all of them, anyway!

@Craig: Many thanks for your fabulous character creation chart. I have already created many interesting characters, (and a crocodile, a tiger and a rhinoceros), some of which I am sure I will never use!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.