Subject: Dear Caleb Grace, Boons and Burdens... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Microbadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Join the Resistance!Microbadge: Card playerMicrobadge: Twitter user
So, there is the new upcoming Saga expansion, The Black Riders, and a new preview of it HERE.

I don't think I have EVER been as excited over an upcoming addition to this game as I am over the idea of Boons and Burdens cards.

They just seem a perfect addition to the game. Almost TOO perfect for thematically tying the quest cycles together. Just awesome.

Now the only big problem is, I'm going to TERRIBLY miss these when I play any quest cycle other than this Saga cycle now. So, how do we fix this? How can FFG fix this? There's two ways maybe:

A). Is there an easy way to incorporate the Boons and Burdens that we get in these Saga boxes into our normal quests? They probably wouldn't make 100% perfect thematic sense, but maybe they would in certain context. But will the gaining of these trigger off of the quests or encounter card mechanics and thus prevent us from easily being able to incorporate them into any other quest cycles? But maybe there's a simple rule we could use to easily incorporate these?

Or

B). Is there any way for FFG to make a new product pack of 'general use' Boons and Burdens in the future with some sort of way to easily incorporate them into any quest cycle? I for one would buy something like this up in a split-second.

Maybe combine it with an 'upgrade' box that includes:
-The Core Set cards that were not up to 3x.
-All errataed cards with fixed text.
-All the 'Easy Mode' cards updated with the gold ring.
-A 'general use' Boons and Burdens deck.

These just seem so awesome and something that adds some quality story thematics to the quest cycles. As I said earlier, it just ties the quests together so perfectly for groups like mine that play through the full cycles.

Also, I don't really pay much attention to the fan-made quests on here, nothing personal, I just think there is already plenty of official quests, but I would definitely check out fan-made 'general use' Boons and Burdens decks once we know their full rules. So get ready to create, creators!

Everyone else THIS excited for Boons and Burdens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The problem with that is, the existing quests were not balanced with Boons and Burdens in mind; the saga expansions will be (I assume).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Adventures in Middle-Earth fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)
Sounds like an awesome story telling tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Two cocktails are better than one
When I saw the initial announcement for Black Riders I was so excited by it I can't even put into words how excited I was.

Then last week when further details about the boons and burdens were announced (in the item linked by the OP) I think that level went up by a factor of ten.

Playing one epically long series of quests dedicated to the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy with these cards tying the quests together will make one of the best games I own even better. It will be a long time (if ever) before something beats the Saga expansions for LOTR LCG.

Think about this. Even if there is only 2 boxes per volume (FOTR, TTT, ROTK) that's 6 boxes with 3 quests each for a total of 18 quests! That's triple the Hobbit Saga and I've got to say, I enjoyed the Hobbit Saga plenty. Here's hoping boons and burdens stick with us throughout the entire trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Join the Resistance!Microbadge: Card playerMicrobadge: Twitter user
kjpw_88 wrote:
Here's hoping boons and burdens stick with us throughout the entire trilogy.
It sounds like they will, which will be CRAZY! Imagine how many Boons and Burdens could possibly be on our Heroes, in the decks, and elsewhere, helping and/or burdening our Heroes by the time you FINALLY get to that last quest, and do everything you can to throw The Ring into Mount Doom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Two cocktails are better than one
Mattr0polis wrote:
kjpw_88 wrote:
Here's hoping boons and burdens stick with us throughout the entire trilogy.
It sounds like they will, which will be CRAZY! Imagine how many Boons and Burdens could possibly be on our Heroes, in the decks, and elsewhere, helping and/or burdening our Heroes by the time you FINALLY get to that last quest, and do everything you can to throw The Ring into Mount Doom!
It's going to be EPIC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
DaMullet wrote:
The problem with that is, the existing quests were not balanced with Boons and Burdens in mind; the saga expansions will be (I assume).
I guess this depends on how they are given out. I mean, they can help OR hinder you so I would think it would largely even out, depending on how they end up being given out.

We'll have to see what the rules are I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Roger
msg tools
Microbadge: My wife says I have too many board gamesMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan
Mattr0polis wrote:
DaMullet wrote:
I guess this depends on how they are given out. I mean, they can help OR hinder you so I would think it would largely even out, depending on how they end up being given out.

We'll have to see what the rules are I guess.
If you'd release them as a set they might balance themselves out without too much trouble.

Mattr0polis wrote:
I would definitely check out fan-made 'general use' Boons and Burdens decks once we know their full rules. So get ready to create, creators!
Challenge accepted!

I don't have the boon/burden templates yet, so I had to canibalise some others. Here's a quick set I thought up for the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle. Just a first thought. A boon attachment to replace the only existing player card boon so far and a burden treachery.
From gallery of JohnnyRoger

I took out the tactics requirement, because I think making it unique and the eagle keyword restrict it enough. Besides, to me it seems more a boon for a spirit or leadership hero anyway, but that might be personal taste.
From gallery of JohnnyRoger

I don't know the precise rules about acquiring boons/burdens yet, but I speculate you can receive them from one encounter set where-after they stick with you throughout a cycle (regardless of whether that encounter set is in the particular quest). In that case, throughout the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, you would be able to get the burden in 3 quests and the boon in 4. I'd imagine the boon might be guarded though and it is unique. The burden, on the other hand, could be gained and included multiple times maybe, so they would be somewhat balanced again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls