GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,573 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Overview of what's included where? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am looking into this one, but am a bit overwhelmed by all the available goodies.

I am basically a gamer, not a miniature collector, so I guess the Cultist level could be my spot. But what would that currently include, based on all the stretch etc? Is there an overview of that somewhere?

And gamewise, what should I compare it to? Risk or Twilight Imperium, or (probably) somewhere in between?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
You get a bunch of free add-on Great Old Ones that add to the game experience if your pledge is >=$200, so I'd recommend, if you want to back this, to hit at least $200. If you are primarily interested in game play then the best way would be to add two of the expansions (there are map expansions, monster expansions, and faction expansions that add entire new factions).

The game is definitely better and more complex (in a good way) than Risk, but seems to consistently play in less than 2 hours, so it is not as complex and definitely not as long as TI.

There are videos showing a whole game (4 parts) that give you a good feel for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
The video of the whole game I think was actually in 6 parts.

The basic game is comparable in complexity to something like Antike or Vinci (Smallworld). However, the asymmetry of the factions makes the gameplay potentially deeper.

It is not a miniatures battle game, but a strategy game. It does have awesome figures, but all the faction expansions and monster expansions add and change up how the game works.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando theTech
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As said above you get much better value if you can squeeze your pledge up to $200 (before shipping) which adds 7 free Great Old Ones that act as mercenary characters for your players to use

Cultist 150
Add faction expansion 48 (this turns the game from a 2-4 game to 2-5 player game as long as you don't pick the Azathoth which is a bunch more mercenaries

This does not quite tip you over the 200 bar, so either
add the High Priests 12 which adds a bit more depth to each factions cultists
or maybe the custom dice 12 (no gameplay boost but cool)
or the T-Shirt 10 (again not gameplay but cool)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, really appreciated.

Biggest problem for me now will be the total price tag.
At 200$ I still have to add 45$ in shipping, then along comes the European VAT shark and suddenly this game is costing me 325$. Ouch.
But oh boy, is this game looking cool whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is still the possibility that they manage to ship the game from within Europe (UK?)... This was hinted at and has not been confrimed or denied... (I hope they will confirm it one way or another soon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando theTech
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy was talking to possible companies to us for shipping from within the EU this week but we've not heard anything yet

I imagine he won't want to say anything until contracts are actually signed, so fingers crossed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fingers crossed indeed ! I predict a reasonable influx of European backers once this is settled (both in new pledges and increased existing ones)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hope so too, this game looks really great, but not 325 $ great

By the way, am I right that the Cultist version gets practically no stretch other then a few collectible (not playable) miniatures? I have tried to understand the stretch list, but most rewards seem to be expansions that have to be bought or mini's that require a 200 $ pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the cultist gets the free GOOs if you add stuff to bring you over 200 USD (before shipping)... The cultist also gets the last free GOOs (dagon/hydra) for some reason. Everything else needs to be paid for or is free for all (like the component update just unlocked).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks again!
Are these unlocked components / mini's used in the game or just collectibles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the only thing that has no value for play (a collectors item) are the grey minis they are adding for free with X number of backers... The GOOs can be used in play (check the FAQ at the bottom of the KS page)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great. Once again, my thanks!

It seems that for me, simply interested in the game, and living in Europe, it's best to wait for retail.
The MSRP is listed as 169$ here, while I will have to pay a minimum of 144 (cultist level) + 45 (shipping) now, and then the VAT on top of that, which adds another 50$ or so, for a total of 239$.
Without any game related stretch goals that's just a 70$ postage stamp ... cry

Too bad. But your help is truly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unplugged wrote:
Great. Once again, my thanks!

It seems that for me, simply interested in the game, and living in Europe, it's best to wait for retail.
The MSRP is listed as 169$ here, while I will have to pay a minimum of 144 (cultist level) + 45 (shipping) now, and then the VAT on top of that, which adds another 50$ or so, for a total of 239$.
Without any game related stretch goals that's just a 70$ postage stamp ... cry

Too bad. But your help is truly appreciated!

Check back in a couple days. Sandy has been working to try and get some someone to distribute the game from within the EU, which should avoid VAT if he's able to (I believe). He was working on it last week, and it sounded like we should have a word on it one way or the other in the next couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.