Subject: Quick question before first play . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we are getting this on the table tomorrow, my friend and I and I have been reading the rules on and off over the last week.

Which mission should we play first, we are happy to play 3 hr games and are experience gamers.

Do any missions mix encounters and labyrinths ? It just seems encounters are a quick way to get treasure and cards. But labyrinths seem to draw more conflict.

8 characters of for the first time?

Anything else?

Cheers

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Approach to Teach New Players (including extensive advice from the designer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sulat
United Kingdom
Dundee
- Choose a State
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chaos in the Old World fanMicrobadge: Arena: the Contest fanMicrobadge: Warangel fanMicrobadge: Dreadball: The Futuristic Sports Game fanMicrobadge: BattleCON: War of Indines fan
I would certainly recommend going through the training missions in the book. While the basic flow of the game is petty simple there are quite a lot of fiddly bits here and there when learning.

I am an experienced gamer but have found more fun than I was expecting from the learning scenarios. In 3 hours you should be able to read the rules for, and and play through at least the first 2 missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when you have the leisure of local friend(s) playing, I would highly recommend the training mission and staged learning route. They're quick, fun, and help fix in your brain certain fundamentals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Flynn
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, do the training missions. My group skipped them and went straight for the 1st Rush mission. We are all experienced gamers and we still had fun, but we missed a couple fundamental rules and spent far too much time looking up rules as we went which slowed the game down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Davis
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an experienced gamer, but had never played DoA. I would also recommend the learning scenarios. I am using the that approach and having a ball. I am also finding the training mission a good way to learn the rules in small chucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls