Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mandelberg
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible for a Prince that is Shock Engaged in Casting Formation to cast a spell? Similarly, can a unit that is Shock Engaged Explore? I can't find any rules to the contrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reeves
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Prince of Chaos: Battle for Tae Orn fanMicrobadge: INTJ: MastermindMicrobadge: Austrian EconomicsMicrobadge: The multiverse!  Fan of theoretical physics I don't understandMicrobadge: Liberty
A Prince that is already in Casting Formation and Shock Engaged can cast spells. However, a Prince cannot change into any formation other than Standard while Shock Engaged. For example, a Prince that is Shock Engaged while Resting could not enter into Casting Formation but could enter into Standard (or not change and remain Resting - though that's probably a bad idea).

As for Exploration, that’s a good catch. 11.4.4 rule 2 should explicitly state Exploration as part of the “normal movement” that is prohibited until the Company unit has disengaged from a Shock Engagement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mandelberg
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up question:

A unit is shock attacked from behind, can it change facing to face the attacker? By the letter of the rules, I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reeves
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Prince of Chaos: Battle for Tae Orn fanMicrobadge: INTJ: MastermindMicrobadge: Austrian EconomicsMicrobadge: The multiverse!  Fan of theoretical physics I don't understandMicrobadge: Liberty
Assuming the Attacker's Shock Attack does not miss the Defender, then the Defender may not change facing except to Retreat [see 11.4.4.1.1]. Since the Defender is already facing away from the Attacker, it is not required to make a facing change provided it is in Loose Formation and can legally move into the quadrant directly in front of it. If that quadrant is not an option (or the Defender just doesn't want to Retreat into the quadrant that it is facing), the Defender must make a facing change to either side in order to Retreat to a valid quadrant.

However, once Shock Engaged, if the Defender is already in Loose Formation, it may ignore facing in order to Shock Attack the original Attacker (incurring the Non-Frontal Shock Attack Penalty [see 11.3.6.2]).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mandelberg
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrapped up another game today. We couldn't finish, because our vacation is coming to an end. It was Laros v. Alador. Very close contest, but we were both still climbing the learning curve. On the whole, I am very impressed. I wish this game would get more attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reeves
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Thanks Michael, I appreciate the positive feedback!

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls