Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be far cheaper to buy common/uncommon play sets, which you can usually get pretty cheap. Then buy any rares you like as singles. If some of the rares are too expensive for your budget, you can print proxies of them as long as your cube is sleeved. That's what I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
One idea could be to get a large amount of boosters, sort them by rarity and shuffle them up (so you arrange new "boosters" with the right number of commons, rares and uncommons).
That's what many of the drafting regulars here do, except that - as Tommy said - doing it through boosters is going to be more expensive than necessary. If money isn't a huge concern, the simplest way to do it is just to buy a complete set off of eBay and then a common/uncommon playset on top of that. Or, as Tommy said, a more budget-minded approach is to start with the C/U set, buy the inexpensive rares you want as singles, and then proxy the expensive ones. How many of each card you want depends on the number of players you want to support and on the draft structure (single set vs multi set). But I find 3x commons, 2x uncommons, and 1x rares is often good enough for big sets that might be drafted alone. For small expansions, 2x commons is probably good enough. But if you want to support full 8-player tables then you might want more commons.

That being said, I've often started off such a draft set with a booster box, especially when it's the current set and boxes are available (relatively) cheaply. We draft our way through the box and then fill out the rest of the set with singles. It's not the cheapest approach, but it lets us get in on the fun of a new release without waiting for more reasonably priced MTGO-redeemed sets to show up on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Boxes and commons/uncommons are cheapest two weeks to a month after the set comes out. Rares and mythics are most expensive when they come out, especially mythics and chase cards, and usually dive after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
When are the cards cheapest?
Rares are cheapest after the set rotates out of Standard (about two years after release). But C/U playsets get more expensive after about a year from release, because they're usually built by resellers cracking packs of the newer sets for rares. It's usually difficult to buy C/U sets more than a year or two old, though sometimes you get lucky.

At the moment, building an Innistrad set would be pretty reasonable. I see at least one C/U playset listed on eBay for $30. And it will rotate in the fall, so rares will get cheaper by the end of the summer. I really like the set too, and it's very playable with or without Dark Ascension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would assume just three. Twelve would be excessive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just three. Twelve would be insane. The exact numbers you'll need depend on the number of players you want to support and on the draft structure (single set vs multi). What you want to avoid is dealing out nearly all your commons in a single draft, because then players can get too much information about what's coming up by counting key cards while drafting. So do the math for how many commons you'll have (you can check the FAQ on wizards.com for the number of each rarity) and for how many you'll deal with your typical number of players. I'd want to leave at least 25% of the commons undrafted for whatever my typical playing scenario is, but it's not like I have any hard math to justify that particular number. It just seems good enough to me.

Note that if you want to support Sealed play, you'll deal double the number of cards (assuming 6 pack Sealed), so you may need more or need to limit the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
If you're in the EU, check out magiccardmarket.eu.
Their prices are often much lower than ebay and P&P is much cheaper since your cards aren't sent from Hong Kong or Hawaii.

There are lots of private as well as professional sellers and all sellers are ranked by their speed of delivery and quality of their products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls