GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,715 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Go» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Go - now with up to 30% more strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drink Me
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were grumblings in the peanut gallery about the small games I was posting. But does anyone have time to read a session report of a 19x19 game? I guess we're about to find out.

This game also happened in the BGG room on KGS. Is anyone else playing there, or is it just Russ and I?

6 is an uninspired play for black, but white's reply is silly. Black will be happy to make a wall facing Q16 (the upper right corner).

9 to 15 are a fairly simple sequence; 11 is a sacrifice that prevents black from answering 15 at 17. 16 is slightly bad shape... why not one space to the right?

White takes the initiative (sente) and comes in on the bottom side with 19.

White answers black's creative 20 by invading the corner. 22 is so-so style, but regardless: white has defused the threat of 20 by linking W3 to the corner, and now he can try to save W19.

Black's wedge tactic with 32 and 34 manages to cut off stones, but white swallows up a stone on the bottom.

White 43 looks dead and is dead, but it protects the bottom group and gives white time to run away with 47. (Can you see how 43 works?) Now it's black's turn to be surrounded.

Black captures the ladder stone in sente and then finds a clever way to live.

62 is crucial to the life of the black stones in the lower left. If white connects his central stones to the left side, he will have some power in the center. Instead he opts for an exchange which nets 14 points in sente.

Black connects his group, avoiding any further misery, and white goes fishing in the upper right. The cut at 87 is probably too ambitious, but it's a complex sequence.

White takes the corner. At this point an invasion on the wide-open left side would be the end, so black protects and white probes with 97. Black's response allows white to live.

White doesn't want to risk losing the initiative, even if it endanger the lower left corner, so with 105 he leaps into the center... which is big. Potentially there are around 50 points here. Black wants them all.

White squeezes uselessly through 119, then scampers around like a confused squirrel. However, blacks's uncompromising response to the (admittedly complex) probe at 129 starts a damaging ko fight.

Black loses his nerve and lets white chop off the poor beleaguered group that was under attack earlier. Then black gets four more white stones in the center with 140, leaving the top territory for white.

After a fairly uneventful endgame which saw small mistakes from both sides, W+22.5

Thanks to Russ for an exciting game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Fun game to read. Lots to be picked on but I'd point out that an early 'playing into hane' I think, at 6 is probably bad for black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Read a little bit.

* White 7 doesn't look so bad to me. But I would probably have put black 12 at black 14, or else just below. White 15 at black 16 would have probably been very good for white. Generally a very weird looking sequence there, with moves that sort of look right but if you look just one stone farther they seem really wrong to me.

* Black 48 and 50 missed a very good move at white 55. Playing there would have threatened white's group on the lower side and probably would have let black settle everything and seal white in. There is even a chance that white was killable, I don't have time right now to read it all out.

After that things got messy in ways that seemed unnecessary so I kind of got tired of following it. Oh well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drink Me
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG it's WMS! Celebrity sighting!

7 transposes into the avalanche and 11-15 is a line of the small avalanche. Your suggestions also look interesting. White 15 at 16 mostly just makes black thick, though. Retraction! I browsed through josekipedia and there are a few fighty variations that look interesting.

I don't think black can play at 55 before he has captured the ladder stone (unless he is planning to sacrifice either k3 or k5). But sealing W would be big.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because I wrote a go server doesn't make me good at go.

But I don't see why you fixate on that ladder stone. It's a terrible way for black to live. White will have a very tough fight to stay alive, and at the very least black's groups can make easy life during the fight.

Now that I look at it again, I'm pretty sure that white's whole group dies if black plays there. At that point white would have to resign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drink Me
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

But I don't see why you fixate on that ladder stone. It's a terrible way for black to live. White will have a very tough fight to stay alive, and at the very least black's groups can make easy life during the fight.

Now that I look at it again, I'm pretty sure that white's whole group dies if black plays there. At that point white would have to resign.

These are the two basic lines I'm reading. Now, these are definitely good for B, and there may be something even better, but W shouldn't die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game also happened in the BGG room on KGS. Is anyone else playing there, or is it just Russ and I?

I guess that's a suggestion I should try to remember my password. And how to play worth a darn. (It was never worth more than one darn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Vale!
badge
The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

No, but it does make you appear divine in the eyes of Go players without computer programming skills. Embrace your fame and try to get some free drugs & groupies from the Go community.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
wmshub wrote:

No, but it does make you appear divine in the eyes of Go players without computer programming skills. Embrace your fame and try to get some free drugs & groupies from the Go community.
I've tried. I failed. Believe me, I don't get that kind of attention from anybody.

As well, my advice for black to play at white 55 appears bad. I thought that white's crosscut could be stopped by playing directly below black 26, threatening to capture the white group, but now I don't think it works. So much for me offering play advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drink Me
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your advice to black is still good! It just doesn't kill W.

p.s. - I think WMS is probably divine in the eyes of non-programming Go players, and programming Go players who have tried to make their own servers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.