GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,813 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Toulon, 1793» Forums » General

Subject: Some comments from a play tester! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Siddons-Smith
United Kingdom
derby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play test the game again and it is really interesting seeing the game develop from the first time I played which was the first run through and this one. The map changes Andy has done make sense such as removing all the 5s in the areas so you get to see more of the maps and it is more bolder and striking though still looking beautiful. counters also look very easy for the eye in the sense that the information is clear on them and they also look nice.

Its also interesting when you have not played the game for a couple of months and there are changes though they are not huge. it was also easy to get back into it which i feel is good. The naval bombardment table is a big plus as you only role at most a few dice rather than buckets and feeling that you might be lucky to get the result of hitting a ship. yes i am french though this time i am the western wing. i look forward to carrying on the game even though its a play test.

It is really nice to see the game 1 year old and i look forward to getting my copy in the post when it finally gets printed.
The nice points is for a siege game there is a lot of movement but it is nicely restricted due to the operational costs for moment and combat. you have to decide what is important or not to move.
Combat is not majorly decisive and is more attritional but gives some nice flavor.

Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hjalmar Gerber
Canada
Unspecified
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Get it now!
I had the privilege of sitting down with the designer, Andy Loakes, and being taken on a tour of Toulon and the surrounding hills in 1793. It was a surprisingly wild ride that ended in my Republicans' early defeat at the hands of the designer-led royalist rebels and their foreign minions.

'Toulon, 1793' is Andy's first game design to run the gauntlet of the publication process. Now, new designers are often overly ambitious, expecting to overawe a saturated, cynical market with the definitive game on their favourite area of interest, by incorporating everything and the kitchen sink . . . at the expense of playability. Well, Andy took a bold step by venturing into a topic on which no game, to my knowledge, has been published. To add to the intrigue, it deals with events in which land-based forces and naval forces exchange cannon fire. The port's garrison has its back to the wall. Well, it's a siege. How interesting can it be?

Any reservations I may have had were soon dispelled. 'Toulon, 1793' is a wild, unrelenting ride. It presents you with as much - and more - on the Siege of Toulon as even veteran Napoleonics gamers need to know, without sacrificing its primary function as an engaging game. From the first move there is tension and urgency. The manoeuvres may not be massed or grand, but every step demands thought and attention. Though the players may have god-like views over the map, their units do not . . . and behave accordingly. The first turns are a race for positions and coveted terrain, but every map area has to be reconnoitered and secured before the main bodies of troops can pass through at speed. Enemy formations are unknown quantities, and rash moves can result in painful checks and ultimate defeat if your forces become demoralized (VP differential) - which explains my early exit. Though the movement may settle down a bit towards the end of the game, there is always the Republican imperative to secure artillery positions from which the young Bonaparte's batteries can state their case in favour of a Royalist evacuation of the port . . . provided the Republicans remain in the fight.

Andy has done a superb job in bringing and holding a lot together, all the while keeping it fun for the players. 'Toulon, 1793' demands and provides some necessary innovations that should show up in future designs. Order it as soon you can!
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Lein
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Hjalmar,

Thank you for that platest review. It was as excellent, and spot on as the game itself.

Randy Lein - Legion Wargames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hjalmer,

I'm embaressed to say that I've only just realised I hadn'y subscribed to this thread and therefore had missed your review - I really appreciate it (I've got several copies alredy but, based on your review, think I'll be getting another )

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.