Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi -

I recently purchased an item on eBay and when it arrived it was clearly a counterfeit. I would like to get my money back from the seller. The item was paid for via Paypal and I know both eBay and Paypal have policies for buyer protection. Since I'm sure we have a lot of eBay experts here, what do people recommend as far as getting this resolved? Is the eBay dispute process the way to go or should I handle it through PayPal? Should I communicate with the seller first or go straight to a formal dispute resolution process?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Use all of your guns. Hit them from both ends. PayPal is the end where you're going to get your money back, so that's probably the one you want to hit harder, but eBay would be the one to sanction the offender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know maaannnn. Who can really say what's real and what's counterfeit? It's all like...out there and waiting to be tapped into...like really. I'm all for this guy who stuck it to ya...he's just expressing his right to free-trade-enterprise-capitalism-like-whatever...he's stickin' to to the maaaaannn!

Oh wait. I got this confused with the "other" ebay thread. Yeah, definitely agree with the previous post. Hit paypal first to secure your funds and then let the seller know you are doing so. See what they say, and then go to ebay with it if you aren't satisfied with their explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may save yourself a lot of trouble by first communicating with the seller. He may refund just to avoid the hastle. If that does not work, then go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't an eBay dispute kick off a Paypal dispute? Or do I have to do them separately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have never done an EBay dispute so I can't compare. However, I did successfully win a Paypal dispute. I got the purchase price back directly from paypal. No shipping costs. I couldn't get the seller to refund the shipping seperately either. Plan on getting negative feedback from the seller when you complain. Fair or not, it won't be removed from your file. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Usually you only get a refund easily if the item never arrived. If the seller didn't apply tracking, then you win the dispute automatically. If it was tracked, you lose on that count.

As for counterfeit, what is the item? If it's a DVD or CD from a foreign seller, good luck. If it's a game then I suspect you'll have to ask PayPal directly for a refund.

What did you buy that was fake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What did you buy that was fake?

Silicon implants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree with the other posters.

i would start with contacting the seller. most sellers on ebay are so afraid of negative feedback that they'll bend over backwards to accomodate.

i would simply state to the seller that you wanted the orginal product and wish to return it.

if they dont respond positivily than i would than go to ebay and than paypal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Geese wrote:
I don't know maaannnn. Who can really say what's real and what's counterfeit? It's all like...out there and waiting to be tapped into...like really. I'm all for this guy who stuck it to ya...he's just expressing his right to free-trade-enterprise-capitalism-like-whatever...he's stickin' to to the maaaaannn!

Oh wait. I got this confused with the "other" ebay thread.

ROFL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
You clearly didn't get what you paid for and should demand a refund. If it's not immediately forthcoming, go to Paypal and Ebay with a formal complaint.

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
robartin wrote:

I recently purchased an item on eBay and when it arrived it was clearly a counterfeit. I would like to get my money back from the seller. The item was paid for via Paypal and I know both eBay and Paypal have policies for buyer protection.

Based on my recent experience in this area, don't count on Paypal for much "protection"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter what you decide to do, file complaint(s) before 30 days have elapsed after the sale. Beyond that, Paypal does nothing. It might be 60 days for ebay, but again, beyond that, they don't care.

So *don't* let the seller stall you with emails.

...I had a presale go bad. Since I knew it was a presale, the 30 day limit expiration was expected. The seller stalled me past the 60 day limit, and then claimed that he had mailed the package "from his old offices, so he'd check to see if it was returned there as undeliverable mail". Yeah, right.

I filed a claim with Paypal anyway, even though it was way past the time limit, and I knew it was futile. Paypal sent the seller an automatic email (we're investigating, etc...) which scared him enough (I guess) that he refunded my money. Good thing too, because Papal "closed the investigation" about 5 minutes later, as "investigation unneccesary, expired time limit".

Got lucky there, as I had no other recourse (it wasn't a credit card sale). Needless to say, I no longer partipate in pre-sales (even at 50% off).

Kind of an easy scam there: "Tell you what, you send me the money now... and I'll send you your merchandise... in 61 days".

Dread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent the seller a notice through eBay's messaging system that I want a refund. I gave him until Monday to respond. That way eBay has a record of my message to him. On Monday if I've heard nothing I'll open a PayPal dispute. We just received the item this week, so we should definitely be within the time limits of this whole thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Chalk up another one for Fleece-Bay/E-Scam. gulp goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.