Subject: Solitaire a good way to learn the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Cuba Libre fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Boss Monster fan
I am going on a vacation soon, I have yet to get SE4X out to the table yet. I am wondering if I take this on vacation and play some of the solitaire, will that teach me the rules well enough to get out a game with friends later (things seem to go much smoother if at least one person has a grasp of the rules, or at least knows enough to know where to look for answers).

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Microbadge:  I always lie... and I'm always right!Microbadge: GURPS fanMicrobadge: Traveller RPG fanMicrobadge: Roleplaying Since 1979Microbadge: Armor
I started of with the solo scenarios, and had no trouble teaching someone the game after that. The doomsday machine scenarios are my favorite. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
Microbadge: Casual wargamerMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4X fanMicrobadge: Motörhead fan
The solo scenarios use the same rules as the multiplayer game.
I'd recommend you start with the Doomsday Machines scenario since it has much less paperwork than the alien AI.
The alien AI has the advantage that it feels like you're playing another player, whereas the DMs are fun, but game play wise nothing like a multiplayer game.

Also, watch Bobs video summary of the rules. I recommend anybody who wants to learn the game watch it, even if somebody else is the designated "rules explainer"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Cuba Libre fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Boss Monster fan
Herodian wrote:
I started of with the solo scenarios, and had no trouble teaching someone the game after that. The doomsday machine scenarios are my favorite. Enjoy!
Excellent, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
The solo scenarios use the same rules as the multiplayer game.
I'd recommend you start with the Doomsday Machines scenario since it has much less paperwork than the alien AI.
The alien AI has the advantage that it feels like you're playing another player, whereas the DMs are fun, but game play wise nothing like a multiplayer game.

Also, watch Bobs video summary of the rules. I recommend anybody who wants to learn the game watch it, even if somebody else is the designated "rules explainer"!
Great, I will likely stick to the DM scenarios then. I can't wait to spend some time with this one! Thanks for the video as well.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls