Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Gola
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I got myself a nice little crokinole board, and I'd like to hang it up on my wall. It has two eyelet thingies through which I could run some wire so that it could be hung up like a picture.

It would be a catastrophe if the thing fell down, though, so I want to stick it up there as securely as possible. I had the thought that I might be able to screw something into a stud, but they're in precisely the wrong place; the spot I'd like to hang the thing from is almost equidistant from two.

Any thoughts on what I can do? Would one of those metal expand-behind-the-wall dealies do the trick? The thing that worries me is that the drywall upstairs has proven to be rather cheap and thin; don't know if the stuff in my office downstairs is the same material but it could be. The board isn't terribly heavy, but it has some weight to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
I'm about as handy at these sorts of things as Cliff Clavin, but how about screwing a cross-brace into the studs, and then using that as a means to hold up the Crokinole board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, a wall anchor (which I think you mean by "one of those metal expand-behind-the-wall dealies") shouldn't be used to hold anything heavy or valuable. I'd screw a shelf into the studs, that would be very strong and reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
hercules hook vid

This. They're also sold as gorilla hooks, which come in two thicknesses. The thicker ones will hold 50lbs easy. Your board is nowhere near 50lbs. You can pick these up at Target for about $3 per pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave the Hercules Hook a shot and it seems to be doing the trick nicely. The board is only ten pounds, and the downstairs drywall seems to be of a better quality than the stuff upstairs.

Thanks for the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't waste your time trying to do skyline strikes, just aim for the heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm sorry I showed up too late to help. My recommendations were going to be:

A) Safely displaying a Crokinole board is one of the reasons to have kids. "Now, son, we've talked about this before. Daddy's working, which means everything needs to be in its proper place, so hold that board about half a foot higher, OK? And make sure you don't damage the finish with your tears."

B) From your description of the problem, it sounds like this one's broken or defective, so you may need to buy a new house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I put two l shaped hook pins into the bottom section of my wall using some 70 lbs drywall anchors, and I put one at the top in the center which swivels down and keeps the top from migrating away from the wall.

It required no modification of my crokinole board at all. It's held my crokinole board pretty well for the past like 8 years or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Your next job is to get rid of that hideous wallpaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are using a wire anyway, you could just put a hook in both studs and run the wire over both of them. Of course that would require getting the hooks at the same height....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Your next job is to get rid of that hideous wallpaper.
It grows on you. And the wall is fine, and functional, I'm more of a practical kind of guy, if something's still working and hasn't broken or something, then why spend time and money changing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls