Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Dominion people,

A long time ago (it seems) I played a lot of Dominion. Like a lot of people I wore out on it and ended up angry and frustrated with the game. I guess whenever you play thousands of hands of something and aren't getting paid for it that can happen!

However, after around five years, and the constant nudging from my wife that it's her favourite game (bless her), I'm looking to buy back in. Still, I don't want to buy all sets and have a few constraints I'm working in to get the optimal, and also, thus the cheapest, setup to enjoy Dominion on a slightly less obsessive basis this time around.

I'll list my biases in order of severity, and if you guys can list which set combinations you think I should buy, I'd really appreciate it.

1) I hate extra components. I hated Dominion: Seaside with all it's trinkets. I like this game as a card game only. It's my biggest gripe, as subjective as it is!

This alone should knock out several sets! I just don't know exactly which ones they are, or whether the trinkets in those sets are annoying or just adornments.

2) I have a serious CCG and card-playing background so I enjoy complexity. I know Dominion is a heavily strategic game, but I want to get as much out of my turns, and your turns, as possible. I want players to manage their hands too, not just the odds of their deck.

I stopped playing after Dominion: Alchemy, which I LOVED! I really liked the action-complexities in the set and the Potion element is an add-on I enjoyed (card-based) as opposed to the tokens, boards from Seaside.

3) I don't want the game to go all night. I hate when people call your favourite game a filler, but for me and mine, Dominion tends to be a three-five set game that we like to play relatively fast.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Dominion: Prosperity isn't really my thing, as unpopular as that is. I only played it on Isotropic, but it tended to just make the game feel longer for me.

4) Lastly, I would like to avoid buying the base set. I think Chapel is broken (sue me!) and would prefer to get Dominion: Intrigue or the Base Cards issue to avoid the blandness of the first set.

Consequently, I'm looking to try and pick up no more than 2x big boxes + 2x small boxes. If I can compensate for the base game cards with more complex expansions, that would be great for my economic and storage footprints!

Based on my long-winded neediness, what would you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Microbadge: Princes of Florence fanMicrobadge: I delete all my 'Free Game Contest Participant' microbadges so people don't think I'm a scrounger.Microbadge: Glass Road fanMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
So, wait a minute...

You've played THOUSANDS of hands.

You know what you like and what you don't like about each set.

You bought an expansion that you really like and THEN stopped playing?

And you STILL want a recommendation?

Dude, please tell me this is a wind-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
ousgg wrote:
So, wait a minute...

You've played THOUSANDS of hands.

You know what you like and what you don't like about each set.

And you STILL want a recommendation?

Dude, please tell me this is a wind-up.
I don't know much about the last five or so releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue, Hinterlands, Cornucopia, Guilds, you're welcome

Eh, to elaborate:

Intrigue - you need a base set as you said

Hinterlands - no extra components (and thus $5 cheaper MSRP). Very clever cards that remind me of MtG.

Cornucopia - hand management, more than any other set. Menagerie, for example.

Guilds - speeds up the game with the coins, pretty clever, and, well, it's the only other small box besides, you know, Alchemy.

Edit 2:

Ah, misread. If you like Alchemy, then I suppose replace Guilds with Alchemy. Especially since coin tokens are an add-on. So yeah, Alchemy, not Guilds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aelfric Brewer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, of the 6 large boxes and 3 small boxes, you eliminated the base set, Seaside (mats and tokens), Prosperity (mats and tokens), and Guilds (tokens). That leaves 3 large boxes (Intrigue, Hinterlands, and Dark Ages), and 2 small boxes (Alchemy and Cornucopia).

Personally, I'm not super crazy about Alchemy because I think it tends to slow the game down. One player's turn tends to take forever, because so many actions are chained together and take so long to resolve. IMHO. So even though you said you loved it, it seems to violate one of your selection criteria.

So of your criteria, instead of 2 big and 2 little, I'd suggest the remaining 3 big and 1 little sets (Intrigue, Cornucopia, Hinterlands, Dark Ages). The bigs run around $26 or so, the littles around $19 or so, so that's about $7 more than you wanted to spend. Sorry, that's the best I can suggest.

If storage is more your issue than price, buy the 5 promo cards, too (Envoy, Black Market, Stash, Governor, Walled City).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Washburn
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Out:
Base game - which you mentioned
Seaside - Which you mentioned
Prosperity - Has Trinkets (and you said you hated it)
Guilds - Has Trinkets

That Leaves you with:
Intrigue (Base)
Alchemy (Small)
Cornucopia (Small)
Dark Ages (Big expansion)
Hinterlands (Regular expansion)

From there I don't know what to recommend because it feels like you like the opposite stuff I do...at least partially. I think it can be agreed that Dark Ages is the most advanced/intricate of the sets...so I think you'd like that one. It's hard to say between Cornucopia and Hinterlands.

Ultimately for you I'd recommend:
Alchemy
Cornucopia
Dark Ages
Hinterlands
Base Cards...

Though you'll probably want to wait for others to weigh in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Microbadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Join the Resistance!Microbadge: Card playerMicrobadge: Twitter user
Alex Brown wrote:
Like a lot of people I wore out on it and ended up angry and frustrated with the game.
Huh?? I don't know anyone else like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Alright, thanks guys.

It seems like it's a decisions between: Intrigue/Base cards.

I like Alchemy (though i take the point that it's long and thus confuses my criteria).

I love the look of Dark Ages and it seems the most complex from the visual spoiler. Also, adds cards like Potions without components.

If i go with: Base, Dark Ages, Hinterlands, Alchemy, Cornucopia...

1) will it fit in the Dark Ages box? Sleeved?

2) just to reiterate, from the component listings seems ok, but no coins or other components besides cards?

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Mattr0polis wrote:
Alex Brown wrote:
Like a lot of people I wore out on it and ended up angry and frustrated with the game.
You're unlikely to find them in the Dominion subscriptions, I know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you've knocked out:
Base (too basic)
Seaside (tokens)
Prosperity (tokens)
Guilds (tokens)

Leaving:
Intrigue
Hinterlands
Dark Ages
Cornucopia
Alchemy

If one of the main things you dislike about base is that Chapel is 'broken' (spoiler: It really isn't THAT good. Best card for it's cost in the game, but something has to be) you'll hate Cornucopia. Almost half the cards in that one are Chapel level power (Remake, Tournament, Young Witch, Hunting Party, Hamlet, which is 5/13).

Since you like complexity/rewarding strategic play... Guilds would be the best bet, Coin tokens add a great layer of complexity to decisions, but since you dislike tokens more, it's a no.

Next in terms of complexity would be Dark Ages. So that's probably in. Alchemy is up there as well and you already spoke highly of it, so that as well. You want some basic cards, so Intrigue is likely best.

So we have:
Dark Ages
Intrigue
Alchemy

That sounds good to me. Hinterlands is the other one to consider. It's got a mix of simple and complex cards, get it if you have the money I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You could also skip Intrigue and get the Base Cards set for around $10. Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Alchemy, and Cornucopia could make a nice mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan - Join the Resistance!Microbadge: Card playerMicrobadge: Twitter user
Alex Brown wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:
Alex Brown wrote:
You're unlikely to find them in the Dominion subscriptions, I know :p
Heh, I was just messin with ya. ^_^

Just curious, what made you get angry/frustrated with Dominion? I mean, I get burnt out on Dominion from time to time, but not angry/frustrated. Those are emotions I save for much more brutal games than Dominion. Games like Diplomacy. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Beaveman wrote:
You could also skip Intrigue and get the Base Cards set for around $10. Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Alchemy, and Cornucopia could make a nice mix.
Pending a quick look at the power issues mentioned earlier in Dominion: Cornucopia that's the way I'm leaning . I vaguely remember the ubiquity of Remake on Isotropic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're the 119th person to ask:

All 158 "Which Dominion Expansion Should I Get Next?" Threads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Washburn
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Brown wrote:
Alright, thanks guys.
It seems like it's a decisions between: Intrigue/Base cards.
Well the decision between base cards and Intrigue is whether or not you want the Intrigue kingdom cards or not...otherwise you're looking at 500 cards (with 25 kingdoms) vs 250 cards and no kingdom cards...

FYI even though Dark Ages comes with more cards than a standard expansion the box is the same as the base game and the regular expansions...when you ask if you can everything in one box...In one box you can fit 3 columns of cards horizontally...I can fit all sets except alchemy in 2 small expansion boxes (currently using cornucopia and guilds) and those boxes fit 2 columns of cards horizontally (so 4 total rows). So I think you'd be ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Mattr0polis wrote:

Just curious, what made you get angry/frustrated with Dominion? I mean, I get burnt out on Dominion from time to time, but not angry/frustrated. Those are emotions I save for much more brutal games than Dominion. Games like Diplomacy. ^_^
No worries, I know I'm in the lion's den .

It's a board game, so it's silly, but really it was just too much of a good thing at a time when set combinations and cards were more 'vanilla'.

'Burning out' is closer to the truth. Angry/frustrated were really poor choices of words!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
monteslu wrote:
Yep, and we're all unique snowflakes.

You're the nth person to complain about the right of people to seek information on a forum you can ignore if it annoys you.

I guess I should have read those 117 threads first, but I would have had to ask for a recommendation to find it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Brown wrote:
Beaveman wrote:
Pending a quick look at the power issues mentioned earlier in Dominion: Cornucopia that's the way I'm leaning . I vaguely remember the ubiquity of Remake on Isotropic.

Ultimately, it depends. Chapel is still the #1 card for it's cost in the game, I won't deny that, but according to DominionStrategy's (weighted) card ratings polls, Hamlet has been sitting at #2 of $2 cards since the start, Menagerie (one I forgot before oops) has been #5-#4 of $3 cards, Remake, Young Witch and Tournament have been #3-5 of the $4's since the start, and Hunting Party has been right at the top of the $5 lists. On their own, none would be an issue, but... that's a lot of extremely strong cards, right there together. 6 of the cards of a 13 card expansion in the top 20% or better of their cost range. If you like that, it's great. If you don't, it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
Microbadge: I print my own components.Microbadge: AH LCG - The SurvivorMicrobadge: Puzzle fanMicrobadge: Escape Room fanMicrobadge: Meeple Nation Podcast fan - villager
Alex Brown wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:
Alex Brown wrote:
You're unlikely to find them in the Dominion subscriptions, I know
Your preference on Dominion is almost directly opposite mine so I have no advice for you, but I have to tell you that after playing hundreds of games of Dominion I still enjoy it. I don't understand where any anger or frustration would come from. I understand apathy or burn-out, but that definitely isn't what you described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I Eat Tables wrote:

Ultimately, it depends. Chapel is still the #1 card for it's cost in the game, I won't deny that, but according to DominionStrategy's (weighted) card ratings polls, Hamlet has been sitting at #2 of $2 cards since the start, Menagerie (one I forgot before oops) has been #5-#4 of $3 cards, Remake, Young Witch and Tournament have been #3-5 of the $4's since the start, and Hunting Party has been right at the top of the $5 lists. On their own, none would be an issue, but... that's a lot of extremely strong cards, right there together. 6 of the cards of a 13 card expansion in the top 20% or better of their cost range. If you like that, it's great. If you don't, it's not.
This is fantastic analysis, thanks. It definitely makes me think twice, as the 'Chapel' games that dominated early Dominion are something I want to avoid.

I know something has to be the most powerful, it's more the monochromatic games it tended to create.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Ages
Hinterlands
Alchemy
Base Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Brown wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Yep, and we're all unique snowflakes.

You're the nth person to complain about the right of people to seek information on a forum you can ignore if it annoys you.

I guess I should have read those 117 threads first, but I would have had to ask for a recommendation to find it!
You read way too much into my post. I just gave you a link. Apologies for leaving off the smiley... or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
monteslu wrote:

You read way too much into my post. I just gave you a link. Apologies for leaving off the smiley... or something.
It's not reading into it when the truth of the meaning has no positive connotation whatsoever.

I couldn't care less, but let's not pretend. We're still adults.

Regardless, thanks everyone who tried to engage me seriously. I understand you didn't have to post and from this thread I definitely decided to go with Hockey Mask's list. I was undecided on Intrigue and Cornucopia, and I'll definitely avoid them and be happy.

Adios!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oszvald Juhasz
Hungary
Helvécia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a great fan of expansions. After a few plays of a game I prefer to look for expansions.
What I look for: bang for bucks. How much extra kick and difference do I get for my money with that expansion.
For a long time I have been wanting to get expansions for Dominion. But finally I came to the conclusion that the base game itself has an enormous replay value (simply following math its millions...). Although each expansion set chamges slightly the interaction level and the confrontation level, if you strip it to the bones it comes to this: get action cards so you get more treasure cards, so you can buy a lot of victory cards in the last rounds.

This is solely my opinion, and don't start throwing stones at me: buy another game than an expansion for Dominion. 7wonders or FairyTale would be my suggestion if you need cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Brown wrote:
Hi Dominion people,
2) I have a serious CCG and card-playing background so I enjoy complexity. I know Dominion is a heavily strategic game, but I want to get as much out of my turns, and your turns, as possible. I want players to manage their hands too, not just the odds of their deck.

3) I don't want the game to go all night. I hate when people call your favourite game a filler, but for me and mine, Dominion tends to be a three-five set game that we like to play relatively fast.
Well, you've just contradicted yourself somewhat, at least as far as Dominion is concerned. It's a simple fact : The newer sets have gotten increasingly complex, which has led to increasingly long games, at least as far as Face-to-face goes.

Older sets, you could easily knock off 2 games per hour, but with the newer sets, you are probably going to push that time to 1 game per hour (this is with 4 players, I generally play 4 and 5player games - 2p is probably much shorter). If you have time, just read a few of the new cards!

Anyways, I think you would probably like Prosperity best, and then possibly Hinterlands. Hinterlands has very complex cards, and adds an "on gain" mechanic to the game. For this reason, it is not my favorite, but it does seem like it might be good for you, as it fits your criteria. Prosperity just "ups the ante", making the entire game BIGGER. Bigger Money, bigger VP, and bigger Action cards (7 and 8 cost cards).

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |