Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm convinced from reading all the reviews and comments here, that C&C is the sort of game we'll enjoy. My problem is convincing myself that it's worth the money in terms of components.

I have a collection of around 500 games so I'm fully aware that components don't make the game but they can spoil my enjoyment.

What concerns me is:-

1 The cost in the UK is £44.99
2 The board is not mounted card just thick card.
3 The dice are cheap looking.
4 The stickers don't fit the dice
5 They've saved on labour costs by subcontracting 3 hours of assembly to us

So £40+ for a sheet of card, some labels, bits of wood, a pack of cards and a rules booklet?

I'll probably give in to my collector's urges and buy it anyway but I'd be interested in comments.

Thanks
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not want to buy "C&C:Ancients" but "Twilight Struggle" and I ask myself the same question as you do...
In Twilight it is not only the material but also the amount of mistakes that bothers me. If the game only was cheaper, but here in Germany it is around 55€...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dobbins
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Looks like its going to be a classic, and popular GMT games do go out of print relatively fast. So the collector in you has to make a tough choice. I think it is a very good game. Like you, the quality of the components doesn't impress me, but there is a lot of stuff in the box, and it probably couldn't have been done better at the current price. Go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Jentoft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan.
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands and Colors: Ancients is definitely worth the money. The components are not nearly as bad as I thought they were at first glance. And the gameplay more than makes up for unhappiness with the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just received C&C:A and have absolutely NO problems with the quality of the game components.

Yes, the board is rather thin, however, a simple and gentle backbend will flatten it out just fine. I also use a thin 20x32 sheet of plexiglass (also used for Wizard King maps) over it to keep it clean.

The dice are rather odd, though adequate. I downloaded the .pdf of the smaller sized stickers and used those instead to apply to the included dice. If I later find I don't like the included dice (they are kinda light and bulky), I can always pick up a few 16mm blanks and apply the game stickers.

As for the time involved to apply the stickers to the blocks, well... I possess enough OCD and didn't have a problem with it. Start with the Romans (gray blocks) and place the various sized blocks in 3 seperate bowls. Lay out infront of you enough blocks for the number of units you're working on from the instruction chart, that way you won't stick too many. You'll wind up with extra spares of both blocks and stickers.

You could watch the Olympics while you stick.

...enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very worth the money. Yes, the dice are crappy--I was one of the first to complain about them, but the game itself is gold. It has been my most-played game this past month (and I'm going to get in another game or two tonight).

Other than the dice, the components are excellent. The board is card stock, but I like that. And there are a massive number of blocks.

Forget the components for a minute though, the real treat is the gameplay. Very similiar to Memoir '44, but deeper and more interesting with the addition of leaders and the opportunity to battle back. Excellent cards with some real surprises and fun play. This is a must-buy in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll probably give in to my collector's urges and buy it anyway but I'd be interested in comments.
Don't buy it!

Be a gamer, not a collector, and let a fellow gamer buy that copy and enjoy it. There are only so many out there...it would be a shame to buy one and hoard it and deny someone who would enjoy it.

Besides, the blocks are small and lightweight, there is a vast empty space in the box and no (poorly-designed) inserts to place the components in, you have to do the labor of stickering it yourself, it's expensive for you to get one so I bet it will be a long time before you could get your money back, you have to squint to tell the difference between little green circles on the blocks and those that are green circles with white edges, the map isn't hardboard, the dice are funny, people are already scrambling in panic to find replacement dice because it's so damned difficult to just assign regular dice to the combat result table, you'll have to pick between that and the I'm-using-the-original-dice-and-labels clique and the I'm-using-the-original-dice-w/reduced-image-stickers clique and the I'm-using-the-original-dice -and- I'm-going-to-trim-the-original-stickers clique and you might prematurely join one of those cliques before another cooler clique begins, and it's a wargame for crying out loud. Avoid. Avoid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
Guernsey
Vale
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Chris,

Don't know if it helps any, but we sell it in the UK at £39.99 (+ postage of course!).

Not had chance to have a play yet, hopefully in the coming week, but there is plenty of bulk in that box.

:-)

Alan

www.land-of-games.co.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Tischer
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it, have assembled everything, and played a couple of times. It's worth the money. I too was initially concerned about the quality of the components - especially since I'm a big fan of both Battle Cry and Memoir 44. But the blocks grow on you and the board flattens out fine.

The stickers have very vibrant colors and I now really like the look of the game. It plays very well and requires very different strategies from both BC & M44. I would highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't help ya. Bought two copies direct from them and starting to wonder if will ever get them. Been a week already. They don't seem to provide any tracking info or answer any emails. Hope its worth it...wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! - thanks all for a prompt response.

The balance seems to be in favour of good game play over component quality with the comments on the latter not too bad anyway.

I think the "buys" win over the "don't buys" so with the weight of BGG opinion behind me I have to buy at least that's a good excuse.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll post my opinion once I have the game in my possession.

Cheers all.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
A whole week????? OH MY GOD CALL THE POLICE YOU'VE BEEN RIPPED OFF!!!!!!!!

More seriously, by your 'they don't respond to emails' (actually they do quite nicely in my experience) I take it you've already sent emails at least a couple of days ago, so you started bugging them about the games' arrival after what 4 or 5 days? gulp

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorb wrote:
Can't help ya. Bought two copies direct from them and starting to wonder if will ever get them. Been a week already. They don't seem to provide any tracking info or answer any emails. Hope its worth it...wow

I did get tracking information when mine was shipped to me (The tracking information was from QuantumViewNotify@ups.com, so be careful your spam blocker didn't nab it). While I haven't had any email problems, if you're concerned I suggest giving them a call. From all accounts they're very helpful on the phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add my late vote for buy. The game and components are easily worth the money. I have many times spent that amount of money on dinner for my family at a restaurant. The game is a much better value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and you can always feed it to your family if they complain

Somebody mentioned Twilight Struggle: great game and the components are just right for it, I hate to think what toy soldiers could do to this gem.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin you must not be buying direct from GMT. Was going to take two weeks to get INSTOCK items pulled and delivered. If they would have told me this up front I would have bought from ebay or would have understood the ground rules. She did mention they are back logged and trying to hire more people. Sorry to here that...I tried to help support them direct with a $180.00 order. Its a great game I will still get, just not from them direct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they come quick enough if you order them via the P500

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What you're buying is the sum total of gaming experience. You'll have a game that's easily taught but not instantly mastered, with vast variability in scenario replay due to card distribution and dice rolls. The components are initially labor-intensive, but durable, and I found that if you burnish the edges of the die stickers (with the edge/corner of a spare block), they fit just fine (wash the dice in warm water and detergent first to be sure all the mold residue is removed for best label adherence).

The cards are large and sturdy. The blocks are colorful. The errors appear to be limited to an occasional spelling typo. The game system supports many styles of play, from "get stuck in" to deliberate organization of a battle line and supports. There's a sense both for the knock-down, drag-out of massed melees and the sudden dramatic swing of fortunes.

Perhaps best of all, the game appears to be well enough received to spur two after-publication trends: expansions/supplements and scenario support from GMT, and a host of scenario creations from the gaming public.

Wait no longer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I do order from them direct, without problem, but then again, I'm not usually in a hurry about such things...just builds the anticipation if I have to wait (plus how quickly things get through customs at the border is quite unpredictable)...if they're in the middle of shipping out pre-orders, things can slow down a little there....

Glad you're still getting the games and sorry I my post was a little over the top!

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No hard feelings Robin. They still got my money...bought two copies on ebay...and it was $30 cheaper. I was a little sore cause I really wanted it for a game session last night. Got a buddy that his wife only lets out to game like once every couple of months. shake
Game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
I agree with Kevin. Beware!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
What you're buying is the sum total of gaming experience. ...............

........Wait no longer!

Barry,

Thanks for your considered response. I'm now fully committed to the purchase. I'll let you know what I think.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I think this is one beautiful game with very nice components at a reasonable price. Except the dice. If anything people are understating just how AWEFUL these "dice" are. Come on GMT...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
How much is a glass of water worth?

Depends how thirsty you are and where you are.

If one person pays a given price for something, to them it must have that worth. It is up to you to decide, not someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We've played several games so far and I WILL definitely have to replace the dice. The bulby rounded edges actually 'prevent' the dice from rolling. They tend to just drop from your hand... and lay there. Very odd.

Other than that, an excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.