Runner just initita__________
source: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4220

First, my guess, followed by my reasoning:

Sundew
The first time the Runner spends
1 (click) on his or her turn, gain 2 (credits) unless the
Runner just initiated a run.
Trash 4

aka Jinteki FINALLY gets an economy asset!!!

Reasoning:
My reasoning goes down a deep grammatical rabbit hole, and there are some things I can't know for sure outside of speculation. I've included a tl;dr version at the bottom. Still, I'm sure some of you want to know my thought process, so here it is:

1st line:
The remainder of the first line has to contain a subject followed by a verb to match the object '1 click' in line 2. I don't know what 'the' could refer to other than 'the Runner,' because the subject has to be able to interact with clicks somehow, and if it was the Corp, it would just say 'the first time you' instead of 'the first time the'.

Concerning the verb, I see a few possibilities. Remember, the verb in line 1 is acting of the subject '1 click' in line 2, so it has to be something that interacts with clicks. Here are the primary options I see:

-spends
-gains
-loses

I feel like the verb is probably 'spends.' An asset that cares about the runner gaining clicks would be oddly specific, and a card that cares about the runner losing clicks would make a lot of sense on an HB card, but almost none on a Jinteki card.

2nd line:
The second line starts off easy. We know that a subject (almost certainly the runner) is doing something with clicks on something, and I have great confidence that the next word is 'turn,' because that's the only noun that fits with the preposition 'on' and the verb phrase 'spending clicks.' At this point, we have a finished description of a generic in-game event, and this is often used in one specific CCG/LCG language convention: a triggered ability. Triggered abilities often describe a generic event followed by a verb phrase describing some action to take when it occurs. This fits perfectly, leading me to believe that Sundew's ability is a triggered ability.

However, this gives us approximately a third of a line to finish the second batch of text, and there needs to be a verb there. The text 'The first time the Runner spends 1 click on his or her turn' is a condition, but some effect actually needs to happen when it is triggered. This makes the second line is the most interesting, as it contains the meat of the benefit to the corporation.

What we have so far:
1 [click] on his or her turn, [verb phrase describing benefit to corporation]

I'm going to skip ahead to the third line for a moment, because the language here can give us a clue for the second line. The phrase 'Runner just initiated' is written in past tense, which means it's checking to see if a specific event happened. It's also the final line, which means there isn't enough room for another subject-verb-object clause. This means that the third line has to be a dependent clause linked to whatever past action occurred in the main clause on the second line. This gives us even less room for the verb phrase describing the Corp's benefit on the second line, because the second line has tocontain a suboordinate conjunction linking the main action in the second line with the dependent clause in the third line. To top it off, since the third line begins with 'Runner', 'the' is almost certainly the article that directly precedes it.

This leaves us with a VERY short phrase describing the good thing the Corp gets to do on the second line:

1C on his or her turn, [Verb phrase] [Subordinate conjunction] the

Depending on what that subordinate conjunction is (we'll get to that in a minute), this gives us maybe 10 characters MAX to write the verb phrase.

What's a verb phrase the Corp loves doing, preferably every turn, that can fit into 10 characters or less?

I
have
one
idea

The only other thing I can think of that makes sense and fits in that small a space is 'draw a card'. Even then, that's 11 characters, and a much less exciting ability than gaining credits (I'm not sure I want to be drawing a card every turn as the Corp). Gain a click would fit too, but that wouldn't work because it's not the Corp's turn. Even stuff like 'purge virus counters' or 'trash a program/resource' would be way too long for what we're looking at. Gain (X) credit(s) makes the most sense mechanically and takes the least space, so I feel very confident that's the ability.

Now to deal with the subordinate conjunction that links the credit-gaining verb phrase with the past-tense conditional phrase on the next line.

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of subordinate conjunctions in the English language:
http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000377.htm

If that sounds boring (and it is), let me summarize: there are two words that fit with CCG/LCG language and would actually make sense in the context of this card:

-if
-unless

I'll get back to these in a minute.

continued in next post

3rd line:
The first thing to look at here is the partial word, 'initia____'. Thankfully, that's a really easy word to complete. A website used to help players cheat at online Scrabble/Words with Friends can help us find the possible words that could be there. For comprehensiveness, here's the list, although if you don't want to bother yourself with it I will save you some time and say that this is a case in which your intuition is better than some list.

http://www.scrabblefinder.com/starts-with/initia/

Fortunately for us, there's really only one good choice. Because this word comes directly after the adverb 'just,' we know it has to be a past tense verb. The past tense verbs on the list are initialized, initialed, and initiated. One of those has a meaning in Netrunner.

Now that we know that the runner is initiating something, we have to figure out what that could be. It's not a stretch to think of the driving action behind Netrunner when considering what this could be. I had a moment of doubt when I realized that Netrunner cards often refer to the Runner having 'made a run' instead of 'initiating a run,' and that so far only traces have 'initiated' (see Disrupter) but then I realized two things: 1. at the time Sundew's ability triggers, the Runner hasn't actually 'made' the run yet, he has only started to; hence, it makes sense to use the word 'initiated' here. 2. FFG isn't the most consistent with their language anyway. Anyways, run makes good sense from a game context, and I can't think of anything else the runner could be 'initiating' with his or her first click.

continued in next post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what we have so far

Sundew
1 click on his or her turn, gain (X) credits (IF/UNLESS) the
Runner just initiated a run

This is the point at which I leave my grammatical nonsense-world and use actual design skills.

In the 'if' version, you have an asset which essentially says 'gain X creds if the runner runs on the first click.' Frankly, I think this version of the card is unexciting. Runners will simply play around it by running on their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th clicks. Its main utility is preventing the runner from using all 4 clicks to make runs. It also pushes runs slightly later into the turn, and encourages runners to run on the final click a little more. The main reason a runner is scared of running on the final click is fear of tags, and we all know what a tag-and-bagging machine Jinteki is. I guess this makes Snare! slightly scarier? Also, with Jinteki RP, this limits the Runner to two remote server runs each turn (unless they decide to run on the first click and give you whatever credits Sundew grants). Whoopee. I guess this makes giant 4 or 5-run Medium dig turns slightly less devastating, assuming they had nothing else useful to do with their first click, because you'll totally be able to turn the game around after getting run on only 3 times instead of 4 on your turn. Also I guess it makes Notoriety really sad.

Overall, the 'if' version of Sundew is very underwhelming. Unless it grants 5+ credits to the Corp when the Runner runs on the fist click, it's not worth it. Actually, even then, it's not worth it. It's a trash card that's so easy for the runner to play around it's rendered completely ineffective.

Now let's look at the 'unless' version.

At first glance, it seems underwhelming, because the runner can deny your benefit by doing what he or she wants to do anyway: running. However, Sundew gets tricky once you consider what that means. Let's say the Runner hit a Neural Katana on RnD on the third click of last turn, and has fallen to two cards. You rez Sundew. You have an unguarded remote server with two advancement counters on it, an unrezzed piece of ICE on Archives, and an undefended HQ. As a runner, where can you go? You can't hit the Katana again, that would flatline you. You could go for the remote, but that screams Junebug. What about HQ, that's undefended. WHY is HQ undefended? The corp wouldn't do that unless he or she was holding a Snare. What if you hit a snare? Or you could run through the mystery ICE on the Archives, gaining literally nothing if you get through. And it might be another Neural Katana.

THIS is what Jinteki wants. It feels very Jinteki to get the runner to run all the time, every turn, even when he or she doesn't want to. Here are a few of the benefits (to each of these, add 'unless they want to give the Corp money' at the end of them, because of course the Runner can always choose to do that.)

-The runner has to be wary about running late in the turn. If hitting net damage would drop the Runner to low levels, they might put themselves in danger next turn by running on the first click. The runner could delay a late-turn run to the first click of the next turn, but that might be exactly what the Corp needs to score an agenda...
-The runner can no longer click-draw before running as a net damage 'buffer.' You have to run right away on your turn, before drawing those cards for security. Of course, the Runner can click-draw the previous turn in anticipation of next turn's first-click run, but not above the hand limit.
-The runner can no longer use burst income or other card tricks to surprise the corporation and run immediately after. Sundew essentially forces the runner to be prepared for next turn's run in advance, which allows the Corp to see exactly what they have ready before deciding how to prepare their defense.
-The runner can no longer take turns off to develop their rig. They have to run, even in the mid-game when the Runner doesn't have good icecreabers up and it might not be profitable to run.

This is why I really hope the suboordinate conjunction on Sundew is 'unless' instead of 'if'. By locking the Runner into running or making them richer, Jinteki can create scary situations. Altrnatively, if Sundew locks the Runner out of running on the first click, he or she will just do take any one of a number of good alternative actions before running anyway.

My only reservation is that 'unless' is four characters more than 'if,' and the second line is REALLY crunched for space. The 'unless' version totals 41 characters (though one of those is the click symbol and one of those is the credit symbol, which might add some size to the line] while the 'if' version comes in at 37 characters, which would fit easily on the line. The first line of Aggressive Negotiations from the base set pushes the limit regarding what will fit on aline, and that's 43 characters, so unless the click or credit symbol take up significantly more space than a standard character, it should fit. My character calculations are also assuming that there is no space between 1 and the click symbol or the number and credit symbol, but there doesn't appear to be a space between them on cards like Sure Gamble, so I think we're safe there.

Ultimately, I believe in FFG's design skills, and I have great confidence that they went with the superior, Jintekier 'unless' version as opposed to the unexciting and largely ineffective 'if' version. The fact that its influence cost is 3 also supports this, as the 'unless' version plays into Jinteki's mind trick playstyle but doesn't work as well in other Corps, whereas the 'if' version has pretty much the safe effectiveness in any Corp.

Filling in the blanks

Obviously, we won't know how many credits the corp will gain. My intuition tells me it will be 2, because if it's 1 then Sundew is strictly worse than Pad Campaign in almost every way and lacks the crunch needed to get the Runner scared about not running with his or her first click. If Sundew allows the Corp to gain 3 credits, this card becomes really scary, which might actually be good for the metagame as Jinteki gets quite a fearsome economy asset. However, allowing the Corp to gain 3 credits each turn without spending any clicks seems a bit more potentially overpowered than I think FFG is willing to print, even if the runner can avoid the drawback fairly easily.

Now, the trash cost. I have no idea what it will be. It's probably got the be more than 2 to be playable, because otherwise the runner can pretty easily trash this unless you protect it well, and Jinteki is all about spreading out assets and not protecting them. I'd like to see this have a trash cost of 5, and I think this would be an interesting and balanced card even with a trash cost of 50, but knowing FFG they are probably going to be careful with Jinteki's first powerful economic asset and give it a trash cost of 4 or even 3.

The only other blanks to fill in involve ones on the third line. It is possible that there is more text at the end of the third line, most likely in the form of specifying a server the Runner must run on in order to deny the Corp their credits. If this is the case, the card completely changes and all my above analysis is pointless. There's not enough room for 'Runner just initiated a run on a central/remote server' (those lines of text total 51 and 50 characters respectfully), so it's one of the three centrals. If this is the case, it plays into the 'server of death' strategy that Jinteki players have always been waiting for. This will enable Jinteki players to make the Whirlpool/Cell Potal infinite loop server on whatever server Sundew specifies (my guess is HQ, though it could be R&D) and actually force the Runner to run it (or give them a credit each turn). I think that if this version is printed, it will be 1 credit instead of 2 each turn, because forcing the runner to run your server of death for or give the Corp a free 2 credit boost probably presents an impossible conundrum for the Runner, as they are given no relatively safe alternatives. This would be an ok version to see print, but I'm personally still rooting for a version that grants 2 credits per turn but allows the runner to run any server on their first click to deprive the Corp of this income.

Whew, that was long. I don't blame you if you didn't read it.

Here's the tl;dr version

First line: The subject has to be 'Runner.' The verb has to be 'spend' to fit with the click symbol from line two. Second line: 'turn' comes after 'his or her' because it's the only thing that makes sense, 'gain X credits' in the only effect small enough to fit on line 2 along with the conjunction 'if' or 'unless' (which has to be on line 2 because this is a triggered ability and line 3 refers back to it). 'the' is the final word of line 2 because it's the article for 'Runner'. Line 3: 'initiated' has to be followed by 'run' because this is Netrunner and what else could it be. There might be some text referring to specific servers at the end of line 3 or there might not be.

I have great confidence that the text of Sundew is the following:

The first time the Runner [gains/loses/spends]
1 click on his or her turn, gain [X] credits [if/unless] the
Runner just initiated a run [possibly: on HQ/RnD/Archives]

BONUS: Flavor text speculation:
As beautiful as it is d[angerous. And it is]
dangeorus

No deep grammatical reasoning here, just a character count and intiution.

DOUBLE BONUS: My top 5 cards that work well with Sundew (my primary speculated version at the top)(I am a lot less confident about these than I am about the actual card text)

5. Net damage ICE/ambushes.
4. Hokusai Grid
3. Hourglass
2. Whirlpool
1. False Lead

Thank you for reading. Enjoy an actual Jinteki economy card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a fun read. Thank you. My only worry is that running on the 1st 2nd or 3rd click isn't particularly worrisome for the runner given that they have clicks left to spend if something bad happens before the corp takes their turn.

Now if they put the squeeze on the 4th click-- effectively blackmailing runners to use their final action to run which is always a more risky proposition...that would be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
Narberth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
A sundew is a carnivorous plant that lures insects into its trap. So something that baits the runner into running is thematically appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suprisingly, this version would actually be a buff to Hard at Work/Wyldside, because those clicks are not spent but rather immediately lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
This seems like solid reasoning and would make for a pretty good and fun card. I'm confused by the fact that the card says 1[click] on it though. I think that's the only time we've scene a numeral before the [click] symbol. Normally, it's just number of symbols = number of clicks. I wonder if that could have any significance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbush555 wrote:
A sundew is a carnivorous plant that lures insects into its trap. So something that baits the runner into running is thematically appropriate.
Wait..is THIS the expansion pack in which the Title, Art, and/or Flavor Text have ANYTHING to do thematically with what the card actually does?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Running on the first click means you have no chance to draw up before running vs Jinteki. No chance to charge Crypsis counters if the corp just cleared them etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonid G
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
tberton wrote:
This seems like solid reasoning and would make for a pretty good and fun card. I'm confused by the fact that the card says 1[click] on it though. I think that's the only time we've scene a numeral before the [click] symbol. Normally, it's just number of symbols = number of clicks. I wonder if that could have any significance.
I just wanted to post a contributive input on this regard.

I believe the reason "1" click is specified (rather than just "click" icon) is the existence of "Double" events on Runner side.

I'm not sure whether playing a Double on your first+second clicks will trigger Sundew or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
Suprisingly, this version would actually be a buff to Hard at Work/Wyldside, because those clicks are not spent but rather immediately lost.
Doesn't the wording simply mean that Wyldside is irrelevant to it? "The first time the runner spends a click" would still trigger even if the runner has Wyldside, as Wyldside doesn't spend a click.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
Wouldn't "Do 1 net damage" also fit in the character space?

2 is already the enstablished credit cost for a "conditional" point of net damage and such a card would greatly benefit Jinteki's Work Compression aspect.

Thus the final text would be "The first time the Runner spends
1 (click) on his or her turn, do 1 net damage unless the
Trash X (probably 3)"

The effect is that it's now harder to refill your hand against jinteki unless you go and trash that card, and that ALSO makes your hand harder to refill. Win Win. Much more worth 3 influence points than the 2 credits gain you propose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Jennings
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ulrik wrote:
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
Doesn't the wording simply mean that Wyldside is irrelevant to it? "The first time the runner spends a click" would still trigger even if the runner has Wyldside, as Wyldside doesn't spend a click.
Yes, that is true. But what that means is that you're getting your card draw and econ or whatever effect you're getting, without meeting the technicality of 'Spending a Click', freeing up your first spent Click of the turn for a run, so if we're right and it gives the corp money if your first spent Click isn't a run, you can Wyldside, then run, get your cards and not give the corp money.

Wolf88 wrote:
Wouldn't "Do 1 net damage" also fit in the character space?

2 is already the enstablished credit cost for a "conditional" point of net damage and such a card would greatly benefit Jinteki's Work Compression aspect.

Thus the final text would be "The first time the Runner spends
1 (click) on his or her turn, do 1 net damage unless the
Trash X (probably 3)"

The effect is that it's now harder to refill your hand against jinteki unless you go and trash that card, and that ALSO makes your hand harder to refill. Win Win. Much more worth 3 influence points than the 2 credits gain you propose.
Possible, but what Jinteki really needs is in-faction economy. They've got enough sources of Net Damage for the time being, but some econ that ties into their style of play (rather than appropriating someone else's) is something we need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beepers wrote:
I don't know why this Asset has to be an Economy Asset. Just because Jinteki needs one doesn't mean they're going to get one.

I could easily see this being "Do 1 Net Damage" instead of "Gain 2 Credits". That would prevent the Runner from drawing up Cards and then making their desired Run. The Runner will be forced to instead draw cards at the ends of their turns, which, of course, isn't as good if you want to string together the cards you draw into a good combo using further clicks. Whenever I go against Jinteki, half of my turns start with a card draw, so that would ruin my play rhythm.
... Might Net Shield actually have a place in play then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, thanks for the feedback.

Regarding 'do 1 net damage,'

After additional investigation, it is definitely possible.

I had initially thought that it would be too difficult to fit all of that text on the second line. That would make the second line read '1C on his or her turn, do 1 net damage unless the'. That totals 49 characters. I had the beginnings of a post typed up about how 49 characters is WAY too long for a single line of text, and it can't possibly fit, and 41 characters for my speculative version is already pushing it. Then I decided to do a comprehensive check and see if any Netrunner cards has smaller text sizes, and I found one:

Fetal AI

In order to fit all that text on the card, they had to shrink the text size to something smaller. The first line is especially long, reading 'If Fetal AI is accessed from R&D, the runner must'. Total characters: 49. Bingo!

So it is possible to have an ability that contains up to 15 characters, as opposed to the 7 for the 'unless' version or 11 for the 'if' version I had previously thought. A 49 character line would match the size of the first line of text on Fetal AI, so it could happen.

However, If I had to make a definitive guess, I'd stick with my original. I find 'do 1 net damage' to be unlikely for two reasons:

1. The text on Sundew looks to be standard size.
Fetal AI has some of the wordiest text in the game, totaling a whopping 245 characters across three abilities (which must be broken into separate paragraphs), so its text size must be shrunk to fit on the card. Compare that to Sundew, which contains three unbroken lines of text and just 111 characters under the 'do 1 net damage' version. My gut tells me FFG wouldn't shrink the text size for a card that doesn't need it, meaning there are 44 characters maximum on the second line, and there's no room for anything other than 'Gain XC' as the triggered ability action.

2. Intangible game stuff.
Corp players have been asking for Jinteki economy from the very beginning, and this is a chance for FFG to FINALLY give it to us. If they give us 'just another net damage card,' I feel like that will be wasted potential. Sure the version of the card that does net damage is probably a stronger card, but a more boring one: it gives the runner a choice between taking net damage by not running or probably taking net damage anyway by running, instead of weighing the possibility of net damage of a run against credits for the Corp. Also, continuing with the card's theme (props to
Frederic Bush
United States
Narberth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
for pointing this out), how is Sundew going to reach out and damage something that doesn't come to it? It feels more like a 'lure' for the runner player if you give the Runner the chance to deprive the Corp of much-needed cash, instead of thinking 'well, it was going to whack me anyway, so I went over there and we both smacked each other.'

Anyways, either way, we get a playable Jinteki card, so I'm looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diesel
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally hope that Jinteki gets a good economy card before the third data pack of the cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Dragon
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
ranapuer wrote:

Sundew
Trash 4

Wow I am really impressed.
Only off on the trash cost, but that's understandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sundew's going to be in every Jinteki deck for a long time I think, and for good reason, it's exactly what they needed in an economy card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Dragon
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
What I think is awesome about it is how the name fits to it.
I mean it is Sundew, it's gonna be a trap, but the runner has to run into it anyway.

And then he gets net-sliced to death by Shinobi which was protecting the Sundew server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do Event:Run's count to cancel the effect I wonder? I would imagine they would do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
Do Event:Run's count to cancel the effect I wonder? I would imagine they would do.
If you're spending at least 1 click and it doesn't result in you running on the server that Sundew is in then the Corp gains 2 credits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Death Dragon wrote:
ranapuer wrote:

Sundew
Trash 4
Wow I am really impressed.
Only off on the trash cost, but that's understandable.
And the specificity of the server, but yeah. A very good guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jermaine Snuffullufugus
msg tools
1) This was an awesome post, with an awesome explanation, and it's pretty killer how close it was to the real deal!

2) I don't really know if I'm 100% convinced of this. It seems awesome, and certainly playable, but at a glance, at least to me, PAD seems more reliable.

I love that it goads the runner in to doing something they may not normally do, but the thing is, this is still something you need to protect pretty well if you want it to stick around. Maybe they don't run it on their first click, and you gain the 2 credits... it's still an asset that costs 2 to trash. They can run it once they're ready, and if you don't have it armored up, it's gone.

This is especially sad because, on the first turn you profit from it, you're only breaking even, so there's no real credit gain there. It's true that PAD may give you money at a slower rate, but the reason PAD tends to work is because nobody likes paying 4 to trash it! And after all, it's only giving you a single credit each turn!

Sundew and PAD are both cards that fill an economy roll for me, and my intial reaction is that, as an economy card, PAD will be more reliable. A trash cost of 2 is just too little, and it'll certainly be donked on more than one occasion. People feel better about ignoring PADs, so I think I'm more likely to gain off of it.

Which isn't to say there's no value to Sundew, of course. One of the neat things about it is the way it affects the runner's thinking. With PAD, it's a single credit I'm gaining every turn, and 4 trash cost seems pretty unappealing, so people tend to leave it alone more often. But Sundew is just screaming at the runner, taunting them to take the bait! You gain money faster, so if they want to cut you off before you start making crazy credits, they need to run that server. ASAP.

It's great that it can provoke the runner in this way, but I just don't know if that's what I want my economy cards to do. I include PAD because I want that money! There are other tools I prefer using to try to lure in the runner, ya know? And aside from tempo tampering, luring the runner in will only work if you've got some nasty ICE for them to run in to.

I don't know. Early game, I can see it paying off if you can lure them in to a Neural Katana (or the Swordsman, which looks awesome!), but when they hit it in R&D? It's a goner for sure, whereas that's not always the case with PAD.

I'm intrigued, but not totally convinced. Honestly, I think I'll proxy some Sundews over my PADs and just see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it in a RP deck, and see how the guaranteed 2c a turn works. Not sure most runners are going to want to take 2@+2c (plus ice) to negate 1@ of yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy moly. I feel like that was an exercise in how many different ways you can say the same thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw the real thing and

all I have to say is

Aww Yeah!

Let me count the things I'm happy about:

-I only missed the final card text by 5 words (yes, this is a brag post, I promise this will be the only one)

-FFG went with the "unless" version. Locking the runner out of running on a specific click is boring and weak. Locking them into running is exciting, flavorful, and can actually be strong.

-It gains credits instead of doing net damage. This is a lot better for the game in my opinion, as it makes Sundew playable outside of flatline decks. (although I was VERY confident that any version of "net damage" was WAY too short to fit on the second line, so I was more confident about this than any other unknown aspect of the card)

-It gains 2 credits, not 1. This prevents Sundew from being weaker-Pad Campaigns 4-6, which would have excited nobody.

-Finally, it makes them run on THIS server! Turns out I was correct to speculate on a specified server, but after considering HQ, R&D, Archives, and Remote Servers, it turns out I still forgot the ever-elusive "this server"! D'oh! This is the only meaningful difference between my speculated version and the real card, but this one change makes the card way cooler and stronger IMO (and it definitely makes sense that its trash cost is 2, whereas my version would have been too weak at trash cost 2). Unlike my proposed version, the Runner can't get out of it by continuing to pound centrals. In fact, this is significant because it joins Melange Mining Corp as one of the few assets the Runner HAS TO go and get. As a runner, I've won games before where I let my opponent have a PAD Campaign. It's never good to let them keep one, and I try to get rid of them when I can, but it's never an auto-loss. If the Runner just ignores a Sundew and lets the Corp have it for 5+ turns, it's nearly an auto-loss. It does occupy your remote server during that time, but the money from Sundew will make iteasier to create a new remote or play some neat effect to defend your servers. Sundew essentially forces them to run on your server, which is awesome. It will act a lot like Melange 4-6 in Jinteki for the time being, except it doesn't pay off quite as quickly but take a lot fewer clicks.

Some neat Sundew tricks:

-Upgrade traps! Ash 2X3ZBN9CE, Corporate Troubleshooter, Hokusai Grid, Midori, Strongbox, Tyr's Hand, Caprice Neisi (unreleased upgrade that does psi effect and ends-the-run if successful).
-This fits right into server-of-death decks as a great way to fund all your expensive shenanigans.
-As Jinteki RP, with an installed-but-unrezzed Sundew, make three new remote servers, rez Sundew, and pass. Now they have to choose between running all three remotes and trashing Sundew. This is probably not strong, but could be super-fun in low-ice horizontal Jinteki.
-Overall, this is a pretty good and very cool card right now, and if Jinteki is in the next big box expansion and we get a lot of sweet Jinteki ice, this could become quite good and see play at tournaments.

And thanks to everyone who read the initial Wall of Text (sub: the runner loses [click], sub: the runner loses [click] sub: end the thread) and posted to support me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |