Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently got this game and just started playing last week. So far it has not been as difficult as people mentioned. I have won 4/4 games, scenario 1 three times (two 2 player games, one 3 player game) and scenario 2 once (2 player game). I'm expecting the game to get much harder but base on your experience and opinion, what is the most difficult scenario(s)?

Poll
What is the most difficult scenario(s)?
Scenario 1
Scenario 2
Scenario 3
Scenario 4
Scenario 5
Scenario 6
Scenario 7
Scenario 8
      55 answers
Poll created by iamdannywu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play scenarios 5-8, so I cannot possibly vote. On the other hand, I have yet to win any scenario without making mistakes in the process. And on the third hand, I find the scenarios I played difficult in different aspects (have to be played differently) but not very much different in difficulty level. Maybe scenario 2 is, to me, the easiest one...

Not to step on your toes, Danny, but I have to admit that your ratio of games played/won leaves me a bit flabberghasted. As this game is very much one of shifting grounds and reacting to it (which is a polite way to say "very much luck-based"), I have to say...
...you either make some mistakes in playing, or you are a very, very lucky son of a gun. That is not to say I doubt you or your ability to play the game correctly. Just saying that it took most of us a while to get it right. And still mistakes are made...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Dumon wrote:
Not to step on your toes, Danny, but I have to admit that your ratio of games played/won leaves me a bit flabberghasted. As this game is very much one of shifting grounds and reacting to it (which is a polite way to say "very much luck-based"), I have to say...
...you either make some mistakes in playing, or you are a very, very lucky son of a gun. That is not to say I doubt you or your ability to play the game correctly. Just saying that it took most of us a while to get it right. And still mistakes are made...
Agree with Dumon here.
My choice was 4 + 5, could not win them yet.
Nr. 6 I didn´t play up to now.
And I also believe that Nr. 2 is the easiest one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the most difficult scenario, is the one where the survivors need to obtain a copy of Robinson Crusoë. I was never able to finish that one yet..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vjaas wrote:
For me the most difficult scenario, is the one where the survivors need to obtain a copy of Robinson Crusoë. I was never able to finish that one yet..
I'm working on that one myself. I'm feeling good about August...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
Vjaas wrote:
August will be your indigenous companion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect perhaps a Friday in August!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vjaas wrote:
Gonjeshk wrote:
Vjaas wrote:
August will be your indigenous companion
That's it, when I finally play the game, I'll refer to Friday as August.

"...aaaaand we'll use August to explore."
"Wasn't his name Friday?"
"Shut up, it's more thematic this way... kinda."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
I have yet to play scenarios 5-8, so I cannot possibly vote. On the other hand, I have yet to win any scenario without making mistakes in the process. And on the third hand, I find the scenarios I played difficult in different aspects (have to be played differently) but not very much different in difficulty level. Maybe scenario 2 is, to me, the easiest one...

I have read the rules multiple times and went through the FAQ at the files section. Also, posted questions I've had and had it answered. Besides the very first game, I'm pretty positive I have the rules down for the rest of the games.
I actually do not find the first two scenarios difficult. I even posted my strategy for the first scenario on another thread.

Thanks for all the voting. I look forward to playing scenarios 4,5,6 as they have the most votes here. I understand many have not finish or try all the scenarios yet. Just asking for your opinion base on your experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.
I read your reply concerning your strategy, although what you said is not really a strategy but basically general aspects of the game that everyone will do when they don't make mistakes.

Once again, I don't want to rain on your parade. But what has me even more flabberghasted is that you write in the other thread that you not only finished your first two games right out of the box, and won both times easily on scenario 1 - but that you have "plenty of health" left.

I really don't know how you manage that.
RC is a game of lots of luck, and lots of losses. You must have the proverbial luck of the Irish, because otherwise this is just impossible, I am sorry to say. If you draw Action cards on even half your die rolls, if you suffer wounds on even a third of them, you would be glad if you achieved victory only by scraping by.

At least, that is my opinion. But reading the threads of lots of other players here, the general consensus seems to be that the game is hard. Especially MaHo and BotanyBob have more games under their belt than any other individual here, I'd wager. And if they say that the game is hard, and if they lose half of the time or so...

Thing is, I am not saying that you make mistakes. But if your winning does not come down to an unusual amount of luck...
...that would mean that all of us other players are dumb as lamp posts. Which I could accept, if it was me. But all of us???

So, either you are very lucky, or reason dictates that you MUST make some mistake somewhere. Sorry...

[Edit]
Okay, out there on a limb now.
My first three games, I was absolutely sure of myself. And had won scenarios 2 and 3 easily, and scenario 1 on an okay level.
And then I realized, due to questioning the author, that the arrows on the health tracks are not spaces of the track, but rather had to be skipped over.
I'm not saying that this is the mistake you are making. Honestly, I don't know. But this sort of very little detail that is either not explained clearly in the rules, or is even totally missing, can throw the whole game. Any minor detail counts.
What I AM saying is - check your details. All of them. Minutiae can make the game easy as pie, or can make it impossible to win...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the info. We did not skip the arrows on the health track.

The game I had a lot of health left were one of the two player games. In two players, getting two food per round is not difficult. We tend to go for snare and shortcut(if it's offer by starting character or items available on the boards) as soon as we can as it generates additional resources for the rest of the game. That game, I believe the cook was in play and we built the fireplace to generate health. We also focus on morale the first few turns to maintain it at +2 morale. This way we always get determination tokens. We always use the builder to build since he can use his ability once to reroll the dice and building has the lowest success rate. The builder is also good for building roof and other things by lowering the cost of wood(I don't think we used this ability much in that game but later games and found it's a very useful ability). Pretty much, we double stack pawns on actions we must have. If maps or other items that gives extra pawn are available, we go for those items as an  extra pawn early guarantees success when you double sstack it onan aaction . The other thread, I mentioned, exploring to the middle of the board, and start building roof from there and you shouldn't need to move again as there are plenty of tiles adjacent to you.
Also, didnt focus on resolving all the threat cards, only the ones that hurt us the most.

We didn't have exceptional rolls with luck. I don't remember jumping up and down on every roll. Some of the cards that gave us injury or sickness didn't hurt us too much. Monkeys in the camp however is much worse as it decreases your roof/palisade level.

Good luck and have fun playing.

Sorry for the typos as I'm typing on my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 6 will kill you due to 2/30 Chance of the Build-Deck omitting inventions you need to win. Pure Luck needed solo-play even with the carpenter and the possible action for new inventions "between the rift", I once was lucky. 2 players or more: highly interesting scenario!

Solo Experience, total games Scen 1-6 played between 11/2012-03/2013, counting approx 50 to 60 times, maybe some awkward rules slightly misinterpreted as I learnt the months thereafter (more to the bad than the favorable side). Scen 7 played approx 8 times. Scen 8 still to play (I´m not in the mood right now).

Long-Time Experience Game Mechanics, Appealing Effects and Difficulty:
That´s a good game, but does not challenge Arkham Horror. However, RC still has the option for some more years to grow, enabling the same rewarding experience as AH by more calculable risk/reward mechanics. On the other hand, theme-wise, for many people RC is more accessible than AH, so that´s a plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. We find AH to be way too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Hmm.
I read your reply concerning your strategy, although what you said is not really a strategy but basically general aspects of the game that everyone will do when they don't make mistakes.

Once again, I don't want to rain on your parade. But what has me even more flabberghasted is that you write in the other thread that you not only finished your first two games right out of the box, and won both times easily on scenario 1 - but that you have "plenty of health" left.

I really don't know how you manage that.
RC is a game of lots of luck, and lots of losses. You must have the proverbial luck of the Irish, because otherwise this is just impossible, I am sorry to say. If you draw Action cards on even half your die rolls, if you suffer wounds on even a third of them, you would be glad if you achieved victory only by scraping by.

At least, that is my opinion. But reading the threads of lots of other players here, the general consensus seems to be that the game is hard. Especially MaHo and BotanyBob have more games under their belt than any other individual here, I'd wager. And if they say that the game is hard, and if they lose half of the time or so...

Thing is, I am not saying that you make mistakes. But if your winning does not come down to an unusual amount of luck...
...that would mean that all of us other players are dumb as lamp posts. Which I could accept, if it was me. But all of us???

So, either you are very lucky, or reason dictates that you MUST make some mistake somewhere. Sorry...

[Edit]
Okay, out there on a limb now.
My first three games, I was absolutely sure of myself. And had won scenarios 2 and 3 easily, and scenario 1 on an okay level.
And then I realized, due to questioning the author, that the arrows on the health tracks are not spaces of the track, but rather had to be skipped over.
I'm not saying that this is the mistake you are making. Honestly, I don't know. But this sort of very little detail that is either not explained clearly in the rules, or is even totally missing, can throw the whole game. Any minor detail counts.
What I AM saying is - check your details. All of them. Minutiae can make the game easy as pie, or can make it impossible to win...
I think this is a situation where you are both right.

I have found this game to have a sweet spot at two players.

Solo is toughest and four players can go well or you could get slammed by needing four food per turn. And morale issues from damage.

2 players have same resource req. as one player but two extra actions per round. That is a big difference vs. solo who does have the dog but is limited to hunting exploring.

I lose often solo. I win often with two. I get mixed results with four. Hardly play with three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls