Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at home for a few days this week, and on the evening of the last day my father suggested we play this, which suprised me. My mother agreed and we started by discovering there was a blue meeple missing. My father was Blue (with a Red meeple on the scoring track), my mother Green and me Yellow (My father is red-green colour blind, hence the use of blue even with a meeple missing. My father started by drawing a market tile- all market, and putting a meeple on it. I went next, drawing a district tile with a road cutting off the bottom left-hand corner. Since the district could be continued in 3 directions, I put a steward in it. My mother drew a road and district tile and placed it next to mine, putting a meeple on the road. And so it went on. The district containing my steward swelled to immense proportions, while my father took two smaller districts which threatened to merge with mine. I managed to close them off. My mother ignored the districts and went with markets and roads, and she was ahead on points as we entered stage 2. My father was first to complete a scoring area, and he placed the Gate on a nice long row worth plenty of points, in a region containing mainly my mother's meeples.

The walls continued to be built, with me putting 3 guards at various points. I failed to place any towers, while my mother used hers, scoring 5 or 6 points per tower. She also made a steward, but he got cut off by the wall. There was a hole in the centre of the city, which was observed by one of my mother's guards from the bottom of the column. Filling it in would give her more special buildings, but it would also complete my market, which would score 18, so I filled it in. We got on to the third stage, and I placed another steward in a large district which was not well served with markets.

Now the walls were getting very close together: they were 5 spaces apart. My father ruled that 'within' 5 spaces meant they needed to be 4 spaces apart for the game to end, so we continued. My mother drew a tile without a road on it, and all the tiles without walls had roads, so she couldn't place it. We put it to one side and she drew again. The game ended shortly thereafter. Despite scoring 22 for the district I had begun at the beginning, and 19 for the view from one wall, I was easily defeated by my father, who scored heavily on guards and moderately on districts. My mother came about 10 points behind me. We all enjoyed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
'within 5 spaces'
Philip Thomas wrote:

Now the walls were getting very close together: they were 5 spaces apart. My father ruled that 'within' 5 spaces meant they needed to be 4 spaces apart for the game to end, so we continued.

He didn't happen to be losing at the time, did he?

Curious how others interpret this ending condition. I've always counted a 5-wall gap as qualifying to end the game.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure he would have won if we'd ended the game then- he didn't really add any scoring pieces thereafter...but of course, he wasn't to know that. I think more likely he wanted to keep playing, as well as genuinely believing his version of the rules. The example in the rulebook shows 4
wall spaces...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow now you mention it, that is a little ambiguous. Is "within" inclusive or not by definition? I think we play it 5 or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Franke
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
German rules explicitly mention "5 or less" spaces between wall-endings as end-game condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.