Subject: Why run on archive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan York

Ferndale
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Why would a runner ever want to make a run on archives? I haven't played the game yet, but from what I understand so far, it seems that there wouldn't be any agendas in archives, and you wouldn't need to trash a card from archives, since they are all already trashed. What am I missing? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you havent played the game yet.
noise makes it so whenever he installs a virus, the top card of the deck is discarded. this could put an agenda in the archives (discard). theres other card combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Austin Kinslow
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
"OBVIOUSLY."
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say you're Corp and the runner has put a TON of pressure on your hand (HQ) and your deck (R&D) - so you've iced that up nicely and spent a fortune to make it very difficult for him to get in...

But... every decent piece of Ice you've drawn you've committed to your two central servers - the problem comes when you start drawing Agendas.

Now, your hand is safe but you can't really safely put the Agenda in a remote and advance it so what happens when you have a hand full of Agendas and you are over your 5 card hand limit at the end of turn? That's right - to Archives.

Also, there are cards like Retrieval Run, Datasucker, Desperado and Sneakdoor Beta that make running Archives more lucrative.

Heck, I've run Archives to see 5-6 face down cards that my opponent has discarded just to get a feel of what he HASN'T been doing - or just to track how much influence I've seen from him this game. Information is powerful in Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the game... and all your questions will be answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Why would a human ever want to breathe air? I haven't lived yet, but from what I understand so far, it seems that you just breathe it in and then right back out again, and so you don't need to do it. What am I missing? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan York wrote:
What am I missing?

Apart from what others have written (cards that work specifically to get benefits from running Archives, and ways to get random cards into Archives, which could be Agendas), you might also be missing that discards to Archives are face-down.

Netrunner is a lot about bluffing. Sometimes, dropping an Agenda in there could be a worthwhile move (it's not a common occurance, though, usually the Runner self-provides the means to make it worthwhile).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Why would a human ever want to breathe air? I haven't lived yet, but from what I understand so far, it seems that you just breathe it in and then right back out again, and so you don't need to do it. What am I missing? Thanks.

It's a fine question for someone who hasn't played the game, yet, and is trying to understand it by reading the PDF rulebook and so on.

Not everything is immediately obvious about Netrunner (since it runs very different to other card games), and everyone has started somewhere.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I'd like to hammer home a bit more is that Netrunner is a war of information. Sometimes it's worthwhile to take a peek into Archives just to gather more information about the Corp player and his or her deck.

For example, I played against a Weyland deck last night that was drawing cards like mad--one to two extra draws every turn, in addition to the mandatory draw. I was playing Whizzard and had managed to keep the Corp relatively poor--I'd trashed two PAD Campaigns, one from a remote and one from R&D, and was harassing his R&D, HQ, and remote servers to force him to play and rez ICE all over the place.

The problem was that, even though I was gradually plucking agendas away from him and keeping him at around 4 or 5 credits at best, he was still digging furiously for... something. I had no idea what. I needed more information!

So I ran Archives. And what I found was interesting.

He had discarded a couple of Ambushes, multiple pieces of ICE, and an economy card. All useful cards. I noted, however, that he had NOT discarded any copies of SEA Source, Posted Bounty, or Scorched Earth. I had already seen one Scorched Earth earlier, which meant he still had it in HQ.

I was able to discern, then, from the information gathered from my run on Archives, that he was looking for either a) a way to stick me with a tag, b) a second copy of Scorched Earth to kill me through my 4-card buffer, or c) a burst economy card like Hedge Fund to get him the money he needed to play SEA Source + double Scorched Earth.

Which meant it was time to make a move, before he found whatever piece he still needed!

That lead me to start digging madly, myself. I had to get a Medium into play as fast as I could and get the last couple of agenda points before he flatlined me.

And I did! I fortuitously had a Medium just two or three cards down. I held by breath when I ended that turn, but he continued to draw and gain credits, so I was safe for one more turn. The next turn, I drained my Kati Jones, dropped Medium, and made two R&D runs. The first run saw his last PAD Campaign, which I trashed, and the second one found me the agenda I needed for the win!

It also revealed another Scorched Earth, so... yeah. There's a decent chance I would have been dead next turn if I had not changed tactics based on the information I gleaned from his Archives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
Love is YOU
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a reasonable question to ask before playing the game, but it does answer itself when you play the game.

The short answer is some effects put random cards in the archive, such as Noise's ability and Accelerated Beta test. There are also effects which trigger on successful archive runs. Further, you can discard agendas there as a last resort since players rarely run it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or Sneakdoor Beta... That's a good reason

Edit: also it has already been mentioned... don't post late at night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gin Teki
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Alexfrog wrote:

Peer pressure mainly. All my friends are doing it. Gotta be part of the in crowd, dontcha know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Question:
Jonathan York wrote:
What am I missing?

Answer:
Jonathan York wrote:
I haven't played the game yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mb
Nobody mentioned Datasuckers yet. If the Corp doesn't ice archives, it's good to run there a couple of times for free to charge Datasuckers, so that you can deal with ice on more important servers easier.

There's also Notoriety, that gives you a victory point if you've made a successful run on HQ, R&D and Archives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
arry1 wrote:
Nobody mentioned Datasuckers yet.

Datasucker was mentioned in the second reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mb
etherial wrote:
arry1 wrote:
Nobody mentioned Datasuckers yet.

Datasucker was mentioned in the second reply.

Yes, my bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Buckley
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb
A new card has been introduced which will make running on Archives even more tempting, the Anarch card - Data link Reversal.

As long as you are tagged, and the card is installed, you can spend a click to force the Corp. to trash the top card of their R&D.

So on a runner's turn they could spend 3 clicks to trash 3 of the Corp's R&D cards and make a run on a (hopefully) unguarded server, with the chance of stealing agendas just trashed.

It's an interesting card, and it'll give the Corp. more of a reason to start assigning better ICE to protect their archives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauer
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Heavy Euro Power
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

Classic LCG/CCG "hardcore" snob.
The Alexfrog promo card:
+1 MU for "arsehole" programs. 0 strength in competitive play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauer
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Heavy Euro Power
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Question:
Jonathan York wrote:
What am I missing?

Answer:
Jonathan York wrote:
I haven't played the game yet...

Dead set there is something wrong with you...mentally and socially.
Why would you bother bashing a guy twice on the same thread, about the exact same point...on two different days.
Get something better to do.
Also, apparently you are a "Christian"...bahahaha, think about that a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hello necropost.

Also, bashing? Mine was hardly the harshest thing said in this thread you know... almost four years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Oh hello necropost.

Also, bashing? Mine was hardly the harshest thing said in this thread you know... almost four years ago.

Some wounds just don't heal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.