GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,152 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a new BOARDgame to add to the collection... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been getting a fair chunk of gaming in lately but something has become overly obvious in my collection: there aren't many actual boardgames in my collection...

I have so many TCGs it's not funny, collectible miniature games, card-based games, tile-based modular board games and the odd Euro-ish game as well.

Just no boards

What I'm looking for are any games that aren't on my Want to Buy List or Wishlist and obviously not already owned by me (my owned collection is always up-to-the-minute).

I'm open to any suggestions, but want a boardgame that uses a board for it's main focus. Co-op, solo or conflict is all gravy It would be ideal for the game to accommodate to 2 players well though...

Aside from that, rather than saying things I'm looking for, there's just a few things I don't want in suggestions:

- No Cthulhu Mythos-based games
- No Zombie themes
- No heavy-weighted Euros

Really look forward to hearing what people suggest I'm missing from my collection! Been a long time since I asked for recommendations here so thinking there may be a lot I've missed.

Thanks in advance to all contributors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Azwan Dahlan
Malaysia
Kepala Batas
Penang
flag msg tools
badge
Wahatever you do... DON'T... FALL... ASLEEP...
mbmbmbmbmb
Coop?

How about these Coop games:
-Pandemic: We save the wolrd fight against Virus
-Ghost Stories: Of course, we fight Ghosts
-CO2 (semi Coop, heavy!): Pollution

or some Feld's games:
-Burgund von Burgundy
-Trajan
-Macao
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have very few games where the board is a major part of the game.

For 2 players the best one Battlestar Galactica is out. You can play it with 3, but 5 is optimal, and 6 and 4 are just ok. But consider the following.

Discworld:Ankh-Morpork is a fun game with plenty of unexpected turns. Has cards, minions, money and buildings, and random events, that do not overpower strategy. Your secret winning condition needs to be filled at the beginning of your turn to win. Works well with all of the advertised number of players (2 to 4). Plays always just under an hour.

For really epic: Android: 2-5 players (4+ hours).

The theme is excellent, with a beautiful board and with a lot of flavor text on the cards (you can decide yourself how much to read it during the game). All characters are unique with some of their own character-specific rules, personal storylines to finish during the game (happy endings give victory points), and their own demons to avoid when solving the case. There are many different murder cases to play. There is a great atmosphere, and although the board and the sheer number of tokens may at first intimidate you, the game mechanisms are actually quite simple when you have played once. Each game takes a long time (5+ hours for your first 2-player game), so stay clear of this game, if that is a problem for you.

(Yes, the game says 3-5 players, but you can very well play with just 2 players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:

I'm open to any suggestions, but want a boardgame that uses a board for it's main focus. Co-op, solo or conflict is all gravy

Rather than saying things I'm looking for, there's just a few things I don't want in suggestions:

- No Cthulhu Mythos-based games
- No Zombie themes
- Accommodate to 2 players well
- No heavy-weighted Euros

Kind of confused, you DON'T want games that accommodate 2 players well? Or you do? Seems it would be weird to dock a game that happens to be flexible enough to go down to 2-players well, so I'm assuming you meant you DO want good 2-player scaling.

Not sure but I'll specify in the recs. From what I can tell of your taste in games, you might want to check out the following games with boards:

Dungeon Twister 2: Prison (1-to-2-player only, great solo AI, conflict)
(this one you might not call a "board," essentially you construct a dungeon out of tiles with each tile being a room. That does become the board you play on. And it is a MAJOR focus on the game as you have to navigate its labyrinth. But it by necessity has to be tiles because the rooms can rotate individually, thus the name of the game. Other than that it feels like a board though.)

Runebound (Second Edition) (best 1 or 2 player, conflict; out of print but they are probably reprinting it soon as it was a cash cow, there have long been rumors of a 3rd edition)

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (2-player only, conflict; out of print but a new edition/reprint has been officially announced)

The Downfall of Pompeii (scales well 2-4, kind of conflict in that you can throw your opponents into the lava; was OOP but new reprint has been officially announced)

Tales of the Arabian Nights (scales well 2-4, conflict, can be played solo too)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Mohrlock wrote:

- Accommodate to 2 players well

Kind of confused, you DON'T want games that accommodate 2 players well? Or you do?

Yeah I'll fix that - ideally the games should play well with two players Will fix that in the OP

Thanks for all the replies thus far, will start looking through them soon Really appreciate it everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-André et Marie-Chantal
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just passed my collection to see which board games I could suggest and I just realized that I too own few real board games!

I don't know the exact definition of what is a board game but there are suggestions from my definition of what it is:

- Kingdom Builder (which is not long and not too complex)
- Myrmes (Ant worker placement that I only played for two and I like very much but my girlfriend doesn't appreciate as much)
- Tokaido (not much strategy but a « zen » game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades

Agents of SMERSH

Ninjato

Alien Frontiers

Galaxy Trucker

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

Defenders of the Realm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet. Just that. End of story.

If you want an essential game that fills a gap in your collection, Power Grid.
Roborally, if you can tolerate insanity.
Belfort, but that's a euro...
Pandemic or Flash Point as a coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.