Subject: Rule Clarification for a New Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Gee
United States
Detroit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game three days ago. I'm a long time Settlers fan but after playing this game a few times with my friends, our session always quickly digressed into Anarchy. Hopefully someone can help clarify some rules for me.

1. Does displacing the Robber with an active knight mean that the player who is displacing would be able to steal a resourse from a town located on the hex of the new Robber location?

2. Can another player upgrade a city to a level 5 structure after a player has already achieved a Metropolis in that color?

3. Is there a maximum number of knights a player can control?

4. Does city produces one commodity and one resource when on a Field, Mountain or Forest?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carey
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Based on my recollection of a number of games played...

1. Yes.
2. Yes, but they do not earn the metropolis.
3. Yes, the six knights that the player owns. Two of each strength. Prior to a specific city upgrade (I don't recall which), only four can be controlled, since the player is not allowed to upgrade to mighty knights.
4. Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
What Jeff said with a couple of differences.

2. If Play one has a Metropolis at level 4 and player two builds the fifth level, Player 2 will take the metropolis. If Player 4 has the fifth level, anyone is free to build to the fifth level but they will not steal the metropolis.

Also, a player cannot build past the third level if they do not have a city that can accomodate metropolis. For example, a player who has a single city and the green metropolis cannot upgrade his yellow or blue areas until they have another city where they can put a metropolis.

3. A player cannot get mighty knights without the third level upgrade for Coins, but from what I understand they can steal a third level knight from another player using progress cards. In theory, this would allow them to have a fifth or a sixth knight if they steal two before building that upgrade. They can never have more than the six knights allotted to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure about being able to steal a mighty knight with the "Deserter" card? We have always thought that if you are not at the right coin level, you cannot have a mighty knight, period. Theoretically, you could still use it, but then not place one of your own.

We also play that if you are already using, say, both of your strong knights, you cannot steal a third one (or downgrade to a level 1 knight) from another player with the "Deserter" card.

Have we been playing wrong? I've already encountered many mistakes we've been making in this forum, so feel free to correct me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not possitive about stealing a mighty knight with the Deserter card, and it has been a while since I read the rules. As for the second set, I am pretty sure that you can downgrade the knight from strong to a normal knight if both of your strong knights are being used.

Now, the opportunity to get a mighty knight only comes rarely since the player has to 1) have a mighty knight and 2) have no other knights they wish to part with since they get to choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
Are you sure about being able to steal a mighty knight with the "Deserter" card? We have always thought that if you are not at the right coin level, you cannot have a mighty knight, period. Theoretically, you could still use it, but then not place one of your own.

We also play that if you are already using, say, both of your strong knights, you cannot steal a third one (or downgrade to a level 1 knight) from another player with the "Deserter" card.

Have we been playing wrong?

I do know that the C&K Alamanc covers both of these in the "Deserter" rules. I'm almost positive that, yes, you can convert a mighty knight even if you haven't upgraded to the Fortress (or whatever it's called.)

I'm also pretty sure that if you can't replace your opponent's knight with one of equal strenght, you can use a weaker knight instead -- and if that's not possible, you simply remove the opponent's knight.

Like I said, though, both of these questions are covered in the rules somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Palm
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
The Mayfair Cities and Knights Almanac, entry on Deserter wrote:
Pick an opponent. He must remove one of his knights (of his choice) from teh board. You may place a knight of equal strength on the board (normal restrictions on placement apply).

Explanation: When you play this card you select an opponent to remove a knight of his choice. If he removes a knight of a level that you cannot build (for example: if he removes a strong knight and both of your strong knights are already on the board) then you may instead place a basic knight. If all of your basic knights are also in play, than (sic.) your opponent must still remove one of his knights, but you do not get to place one. If your opponent elects to remove a mighty knight, then you may place a mighty knight even if you have not built the fortress city improvement (blue). The knight that you place will have the same status (active or inactive) as the one that has been removed.

So, I believe this clearly answers this topic for players of the English version, at least. I think it is clear that if your opponent removes a mighty knight, and you have both deployed, and both basic knights deployed, you are NOT entitled to a strong knight. It is a shame that the almanac has information that is not merely a clarification but in fact an essential part of the ruling, (the part about using a basic knight as a substitute,) but the rulebook does tell you to read it, and that is a paltry complaint about a terrific game series, I'd say.

-Viss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.