Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first turn, you have 2 distinct cards, 1 ship, a free card waiting for you at Athens, and 6 unknown ports. What to do?

Load 1 card onto a ship, and go exploring. Athens is usually your strongest move, particularly if you can get Temple of Isis or Great Lighthouse. If there's already 2 people going to Athens, you want to try to be the only person going to a Port by yourself. Try Ionia or Sparta, then Italy, Carthage and last of all, Egypt (because its port card usually is discarded in the first year, knowing what's here is less valuable).

Surplus:
a) If your card matches the Surplus, keep it face down and return home. At least you know what's there now.
b) If different, trade for 2 of that good. Go home, build the village that takes 2 distinct goods and 1 village that takes 1 good. (Unless the Surplus matches your good at home. Then don't bother and just leave it face down. Although a surplus of ore or grapes is good and valuable to trade even if it does match your good at home)

Shortage:
a) If you have the good that's there's a shortage in, trade it in for a Gold. If you're at Carthage or Italy, immediately spend that gold on a Warship (prevents pirates) or Army (you can put them to work in a village to double its production). Otherwise take the gold home and buy your second ship.
b) If the shortage is at Athens and you have that good, many people like to use the gold to buy their second Wonder Plan as well in the one trip so they know how to plan the rest of their game.
c) If you don't have that good, then decide if you will be able to produce that good this year yourself, or if you think by keeping it hidden you can trade with others for that good and then sail there next turn to cash in the gold.

Tribute:
Doesn't effect you, you have 2 or less goods. You have to turn it over. At least it dissapears at the end of the year. Just take your good home, or if at a foreign port, exchange for a grape or ore.

Blockade, Harbor Fees:
While you have the choice to turn it over or not, your best strategy is turning it over. That way the card gets changed at the end of the year for something better. Just take your good home, since there's nothing else you can do.

Building:
In general, what you need is six distinct cards to be able to build a workshop. The easiest way to avoid the Raiders and Drought the first two turns is by spending every card possible. But hold off on using ore and grapes to build villages until you have duplicates of those cards so that you can protect yourself from losing your hand to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent analysis, Innovan!

I am interested in your first-turn strategy during a 4 or 5 player game. Do you recommend that players sail out with just a Gift of Poseidon (thereby protecting their opening goods), risking the Gift to a Storm? Personally, I always like to head out with a Commodity in case I find a Surplus to help give me a head start on the harder Villages (as you mention above).

Thanks!

Andrew

---------------------------------

Andrew Parks
Parthenon Co-Designer
Siren Bridge Publishing
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the four player game, the island that starts with the Army is a bit of a lucky duck, since they get to start with 1 of their resources doubled. Double Ore or Grapes if you can, and definately sail out to a foreign port with the duplicated good. The chances are pretty good that you'll be able to build the takes-3-distinct-goods village first turn and get that closer to your first workshop.

An alternate gambit for the starting Army player is to take out 2 distinct goods, leaving the duplicate at home, and sail for an unknown foreign port. Surpluses get you to six cards faster, which hopefully you can trade for what you need with the other players. Otherwise exchange so you have ore and grapes, and after that whatever you're not producing (since you'll get that again production phase turn 2). If luck is with you, you'll get the cards you need between this turn and next to build your first workshop at the end of turn 2. If luck is totally against you and you lose everything to Hazard cards on the trip, you'll still be able to build one village at home this turn.

For the other players, sending out a fleet with no goods and the Gift of Poseidon on the first turn just to look at a face down card runs an 8% of losing the gift for too minor of an advantage. Losing 1 good first turn is far cheaper than losing the Gift, which you will need much more later in the game. Taking out a good also offers the possibility of advantage if luck turns your way, in addition to learning the face down card.

Until you get both a Workshop and a Shrine working, keep the Gift off your fleets and send out only Basic goods. There will soon enough be the fleet that HAS to get through: You need to make the trade for a card no one else has to complete your six of a kind and build a workshop. Or you need to get a delivery of Wool and Timber through to Egypt to return with gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff. Thanks, Innovan. We often debated over whether or not to send out a Commodity or the Gift on turn one, and the playtesters remained pretty evenly split on the issue.

Regarding the Island that starts with the Army in the 4-player, this is indeed a nice edge for the first three or four Seasons, but it was definitely needed because no one ever "had" to trade with that player, whereas each of the other 3 players had unique Commodities to offer. We have found in our playtests that the success rate for that player is relatively even to the other players.

Thanks again!

Andrew

----------------------------

Andrew Parks
Parthenon Co-Designer
Siren Bridge Publishing
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why you should carry 1 basic goods to a face down port first turn.

If you carry 1-2 basic goods to a face down local port you have:

16% something positive. Either you match the shortage good or you find a Surplus good you can use.
42% neutral outcome. You match the Surplus good so it's useless to you, the Port is blockaded, Storms return you to port, etc. You sent your good out, and you just get it back again.
42% chance you loose your good --but in all these cases, you learn what the face down port is and have the choice to flip it over if it's bad, thereby getting rid of it by the end of the year.

Knowledge of what the port has, however, greatly increases your odds. If you're shipping to a port you know is good for you.

50% positive
25% neutral, goods returned
25% goods lost

So in some ways it's an investment where you're buying information.

With a warship the odds improve even more to
75% positive
8% neutral
17% goods lost (actually lower since the warship itself may sacrifice itself in the random draw to protect your goods)

Since 17% of the hazards effect only 1 fleet (the fleet with the most goods), the more players in the game, the safer shipping is. In a six player game, I run only a 1-in-six chance of losing the shipment from the sink-the-fleet-with-the-most hazard cards. In a three player game I run a 1-in-3 chance. I leave it to someone else to do the math, which would raise my positive and neutral and lower the negative outcome percentages above.

Yes, you run a 42% chance of losing your good to a blind port while you only run an 8% chance of loosing a Gift of Poseidon card on a bad outcome (The two Storm: Lose half cargo hazards). But a basic good is easy to replace. The Gift takes building a Shrine and a Workshop and having a spare rare good to spend, making it much more expensive to get again.

More importantly, a port that has what you like will only exist for 4 seasons before it's replaced. Carrying a good when exploring, even if it's just 1 basic, means being able to exploit good ports 4 turns instead of just 3 when they do turn up. The first 2-3 turns are kind of unique in that everyone is so resource poor and short of cards that the Surplus ports are actually useful. After that you usually ignore Surplus cards or take anything but their Surplus good to them to trade around the card for what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty impressive stuff here, as always, Innovan. Thanks for this info!

Now you just have to figure out a mathematical way to comfortably fit all the cards back in the card tray when you're cleaning up the game.

(By the way, after playing my current copy of Parthenon about a dozen times, the cards now fit in much more comfortably. )

Andrew

-----------------------

Andrew Parks
Parthenon Co-Designer
Siren Bridge Publishing
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another first turn gambit for when Egyptian Merchants are the first Event of the game: Trade away what you have for Wool and Timber. Go to Egypt first turn with both. Trade away both goods for Gold. Buy 4 basic goods with the gold (ore, grapes, and goods your villages don't make).

Because there's no Port card at Egypt after Egyptian Merchants comes up, your risks are reduced to just the Hazard deck.

Even with that, it'll only work 56% of the time, and 44% of the time you'll lose your cargo. If I started with a Gift of Poseidon and Athens was already getting crowded I might try it. While a player pulled it off nicely yesterday, its too risky for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a bad move for a quick pull-ahead, especially if you don't produce Wool or Timber on your own. If you happen to get through with both items, I would recommend spending one of the two Gold on your second Fleet, and spend the second Gold to secure Ore and Grapes.

Andrew

--------------------------

Andrew Parks
Parthenon Co-Designer
Siren Bridge Publishing
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hawkins
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Innovan,

I really enjoy your posts about Parthenon. I must admit, unless I'm demoing the game I often "lay-up" and don't travel the first turn. Funny I have my best games, at CONS when I DO SAIL TO Athens.

Also, I think many people overlook Surplus Harbor Status Cards as a good source of BASIC commodities to build an extra village and to bulk up your cargoes. Granted it's a small boost, but time it right in later turns and you can build a few of the Wonders Quickly.

Cheers
Jason Hawkins
Parthenon Co-Designer
Siren Bridge Publishing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the Heraion the most challenging of all Wonders to build. You'd think Trade Surpluses would make it easy to build: Just load up some junk you don't need, double it at a Surplus port, and hand it over to whoever's in last place at the time.

Problem is you can't give it to the player during the Build phase when your fleets return. You have to wait until the Island Trade Phase next turn. You have to hold those duplicates past the Discard phase.

And holding duplicate cards past the Discard phase in Parthenon is almost always second choice. Most people choose to hold one card of each unique type face up during the Discard phase instead.

If Advanced players want to handicap themselves, just choose the Herion as your first and the Temple of Artemis as your second Wonder (and don't try building Artemis until the third year)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wonder that causes the most groans around here is the Palaestra (give one Gold, then one Papyrus to another Island). If you draw it before you build your Academy, you almost certainly want to choose Materialism as your Philosophy!

Andrew

-----------------------------

Andrew Parks
Parthenon Co-Designer
Siren Bridge Publishing
webmaster@njkingdom.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.